Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Originally Posted by busybee2
yes al ain is in fact part of abu dhabi. but i wouldnt commute down that road, thats the worse road in the emirate for driving..... bends and fast.... lots of the really really bad drivers along it, and 1.5 hours from aa to ad.
So long as you have got a full 4x4, I have a route that doesn't go near the E22! Takes the same amount of time as it does to go the main routes but the drive is as near relaxing as you can get in the emirates. BTW it doesn't involve dune bashing, just a 40km section of gatch which is a bit bumpy hence the 4x4, everything else is blacktop.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

If you work for ADNOC you are not allowed to live anywhere else than Abu Dhabi.

110,000Dhs sounds like you will be grade 13..which is the average grade, only locals and senior positions are above this grade.

They will provide health insurance and also one trip per person to your point of origin each year.

They have a list of available properties around the city which they have held the lease on for years, so the lucky few have the opportunity of getting a five bed apartment on the corniche within budget,unfortunatly the " housing guy" usually has these on hold for his fellow countrymen.

The school allowance is shocking and is nowhere near what the "popular" schools charge, also they wont provide anything for "step" children..no, health insurance,school allowance, flights etc.

Overall, ADNOC are an average company and despite the huge wealth..dont push the boat out on salaries, housing, medical etc..but you will still have a good standard of living and be able to save too.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Arcadia

110,000Dhs sounds like you will be grade 13..which is the average grade, only locals and senior positions are above this grade.

They will provide health insurance and also one trip per person to your point of origin each year.

They have a list of available properties around the city which they have held the lease on for years, so the lucky few have the opportunity of getting a five bed apartment on the corniche within budget,unfortunatly the " housing guy" usually has these on hold for his fellow countrymen.

The school allowance is shocking and is nowhere near what the "popular" schools charge, also they wont provide anything for "step" children..no, health insurance,school allowance, flights etc.

Overall, ADNOC are an average company and despite the huge wealth..dont push the boat out on salaries, housing, medical etc..but you will still have a good standard of living and be able to save too.
I'm going for Adnoc, they've told us there is no flights home every year, to quote "hardly anyone offers this anymore". Also they said that full school fees are paid for, it's not an allowance, they'll pay in full.

Strangely the travel allowance dissapeared from the application to the interview process too.

The big question is....Are we being taken for a ride? We've had nothing at all in writing. Just the HR guy from ADNOC who promises, "you can trust me"
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expathopeful
I'm going for Adnoc, they've told us there is no flights home every year, to quote "hardly anyone offers this anymore". Also they said that full school fees are paid for, it's not an allowance, they'll pay in full.

Strangely the travel allowance dissapeared from the application to the interview process too.

The big question is....Are we being taken for a ride? We've had nothing at all in writing. Just the HR guy from ADNOC who promises, "you can trust me"
Ok, my apologies..ive just asked my husband about the flights and he said that they changed the policy just before we left, now the flights are part of your salary rather than the lump sum in January, which is what we used to get.

The school fees being paid in full sounds iffy to me, our allowance covered the likes of Cambridge which is located in Mussafah..but how can they say fees will be paid in full if, for example you have four children attending Brighton college which would be a huge amount of Dhs..worth asking.

Have you had a medical yet? ADNOC were really strict about not sending out job offers until you had passed the medical..its all a long process,my husband waited three months from interview to actually arriving there.

When we arrived in 1999 they were really helpful, we stayed in the ADNOC building on the corniche which had a cinema, subsidised restaurant, grocery shop, health club, Dr's and Dentists..yet before we left it seemed like nobody quite knew what to do..we were being pushed all over the place from one office to the next waiting for the local guy in charge of each department to finish his coffee and put his newspaper down long enough for us to get his signature..its all about playing the waiting game, but things get done eventually.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

If you are at a remote location it is possible to live outside of the city - we do, albeit my husband's rotation is 3 weeks on 3 weeks off.

They do not provide him with a trip home each year.

Your final statement is 100% spot on, they are a bit stingy about medical and any other extras, but we do have a good life and can save something every month.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Have you had a medical yet? ADNOC were really strict about not sending out job offers until you had passed the medical..its all a long process,my husband waited three months from interview to actually arriving there.
This was the case in 2007 as well - it took just over 2 months from the interview and medical (in AD) to getting the job offer. Then they wanted him to start in 2 days time! (Thankfully he had lots of holidays accrued and didn't need to give any notice to his existing employer, just go and hand in his keys and say cheerio.)

A good book to read to get some understanding of the work culture out here is "Don't they know it's Friday", gives some valuable insights.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:26 am
Just Joined

NorthSeaBear is an unknown quantity at this point

The way I understood things were -

No flight home, only the mobilisation flights

Accommodation allowance - set amount and we need to find a property, they then approach the owner/vendor and take care of the rent

We'll receive a job offer, if we want to go ahead we will then go back to London for a medical.

I've still got quite a few reservations about the whole thing. I'd also like to know what the accommodation at the plant is like, as I've heard it can be 10-20 people per room on bunkbeds
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

AJMac88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I was at an interview aswell. Remember the video they showed? There was accomodation shown there, along with the guys playing snooker? It was my understanding that was the onsite facilities, altough its not all been constructed yet. Time will tell though I suppose
Cheers
Allan
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:24 am
Just Joined

I never seen a video?!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

AJMac88 is an unknown quantity at this point

They had it playing on a loop when I was at the interview in London? If you go on AlHosn Gas website, and go to media or videos you can see it, its about 7 mins long and shows a lot about Abu Dhabi and the plant.
Cheers
Allan
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Superb cheers
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Has anyone got their travel expenses paid?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Welshpat1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Phoned them today and apparently they were in the middle of sorting out re-embersing people
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

rahcho is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told they wont be reimbursing any travel expenses for me.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rahcho
I was told they wont be reimbursing any travel expenses for me.
that tells you something already......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.