Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:08 am
Just Joined

NorthSeaBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Commander - out of interest, why wouldn't you go back to a rig/fixed rotation?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:45 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthSeaBear
Commander - out of interest, why wouldn't you go back to a rig/fixed rotation?
Never say never of course. If I had to I would, but I done that for a while, then went on rotation on the construction/commissioning side at Keoje Island for a while and now I'm pretty happy going home every night to my family with the occassional trip away to Houston/Singapore or China. I work for a vendor and we lose a lot of our good guys to drilling contractors. They hate the work being on rotation on the same hunk of shit, but the salary hike does compensate!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:38 am
Just Joined

mayormike is an unknown quantity at this point

[Hi James,

I came across this thread while googling Al Hosn Gas in preparation for my interview with Al Hosn Gas, here in South Africa. TS Intenational are also running the recruitment campaign in SA.

I am being interviewed for an Operator position - not sure what position you are going for - firefighter?

I was wondering how the interview went? What sort of questions did they ask? Also, did you get your travel expenses for the interview back.

I can say much about gf in the UAE - but if you didn't get answers from all the threads I have some family in UAE and can enquire on your behalf.

look forward to corresponding and perhaps meeting in the desert soon.

Cheers,

Mike
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

Originally Posted by mayormike
[Hi James,

I came across this thread while googling Al Hosn Gas in preparation for my interview with Al Hosn Gas, here in South Africa. TS Intenational are also running the recruitment campaign in SA.

I am being interviewed for an Operator position - not sure what position you are going for - firefighter?

I was wondering how the interview went? What sort of questions did they ask? Also, did you get your travel expenses for the interview back.

I can say much about gf in the UAE - but if you didn't get answers from all the threads I have some family in UAE and can enquire on your behalf.

look forward to corresponding and perhaps meeting in the desert soon.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi mike,

I'm not James but thought I'd reply anyway

The interview itself was surprisingly short, mine lasted about 15 minutes. I wasn't asked many technical questions, in fact I wasn't asked any, he just wanted to know about my experience in the role (fire fighter). The impression I got was that they are looking for people who want to commit long term and who are career minded and have the relevant experience.

I've no idea how it went because I'm waiting to hear back from Al Hosn Gas directly. The recruitment firm (TS) are making all the right noises telling everyone they'll get their offers any day now but I don't trust them in the slightest in that respect. They don't make the decision and they seem to be telling everyone the same thing..."the jobs yours". He told me that as I walked out of the interview room and he wasn't even in there. I could have burped and farted my way through the interview and he would have still said the same thing, so just be cautious of promises from them, I've been burned before.

Just research a lot, google the shah gas field, read all the news articles, timescales, facilities, outputs etc so you can show them you've done the homework. If you don't have sour gas experience, make sure you've looked into it enough to sound like you know what you're talking about.

I can't give much more advice apart from be prepared to play the waiting game. Three weeks yesterday I had my interview, and apparently I find out today or tomorrow (I thought the notification for your post was my email offer/rejection, Damn you!!! Lol) hence the quick reply.

I wish you all the best mate, hopefully one day we can have a laugh over a pint about the fact your post nearly gave me a heart attack
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Abu Dhabi move, Al Hosn gas and girlfriend

And that last post just made me a "forum regular" woop woop. Reject me now, nothing can ruin this moment....
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:04 am
Just Joined

HI Arcadia,

I came across this forum while researching Al Hosn Gas in preperation for an interview here in SA.

You seem to be the most informed person, whith your hubbie actually working for ADNOC, so I hope you don't mind answering a few questions for me.

I have been told by (the seemningly inaccurate) recruter that there will be a USD 4500 per month housing allowance - does this sound right? How does the system work - are we allocated a villa that is available from the pool owned by ADNOC or are we literally able to choose a place evilavent to this money and then Al Hosn settle the bill?

I was also told that the kids will be able to attend 'any' British/American school in Abu? Any insight to this? Can you reccomend a school?

Would love to hear your opinions!

Kind Regards,

Mike
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Hi Expathopeful,

Sorry to give you a shock there - you may need to have a pint to calm down a bit! Yea, it'd be great to have a laugh over a couple somewhere in the desert!

Thanks so much for the reply and the advice (helps so much to have a heads up)- I've picked up that the interviews are short which seems quiet surprising - I though they'd grill interviewees on all technical aspects of gas refining etc

Yea - I'm a bit causios about the TSI - they seem to paint a wonderful picture. I'm going to email TSI the reciept for my flight to the interview in order to 'test the water'.

What I need to find out is - what are the schooling arangemtns as well as what sort of accomidation is on offer. Will double check with TSI.

I'm fortunate enought to be heading over to Dubai for a short holiday next week - so am keen to look around Abu Dhabi - the schools apartments etc - let me know if there is anything I can do for you while I'm there mate.

Great - let me knoe if you get the job

PS - I operated a refinery in SA "Engen Petroleum" and put out some seriuos fires in my time - some scary stuff - we had a crude unit, alky plant, lube oils plant and a crude storage tank.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:15 am
Just Joined

$4500 per month seems huge?!?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

200,000 AED per year.

That'll get you something nice for a family in AD.

It's big but by no means completely ridiculous.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Regarding housing, I was told by TS and by Al Hosn HR that you choose your own place, budget 110,000. AED, apparently that's low for Abu Dhabi, but I don't know if the same will be offered to you in SA. When I worked abroad in Afghanistan your offer was in relation to what country you came from, and SA didn't get as much. there's lots that I need to find out about housing and schools too, but I've stopped researching for now, I'll pick up again when/if the offer comes through.

Thanks for the offer of checking things out, might PM you about that one.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AJMac88
I think this is the same with all the positions going. Was looking on an oil & gas site earlier and they were advertising the same job I went for (Plant Operations) but with the interviews in South Africa on similar dates in Feb...must not be impressed with the standard coming from the UK
AL
HI AJ,

Not sure if this is good or bad news for you - but I am going for the interview in JoBurg for a plant operator position - but I was told (bt TSI) that the round of interviews in London were a success with many people getting offers - sounds like a bit of BS -

Good luck mate - hope we'll be working together - let me know how things go

PS: How did the interview go? WHat questions did they ask?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

AJMac88 is an unknown quantity at this point

$2500 p/m or AED110000 p/a for a singleton like myself, think it goes up to AED140000 if your married and more if you have sprogs etc...

Originally Posted by mayormike
Hi Expathopeful,

Sorry to give you a shock there - you may need to have a pint to calm down a bit! Yea, it'd be great to have a laugh over a couple somewhere in the desert!

Thanks so much for the reply and the advice (helps so much to have a heads up)- I've picked up that the interviews are short which seems quiet surprising - I though they'd grill interviewees on all technical aspects of gas refining etc

Yea - I'm a bit causios about the TSI - they seem to paint a wonderful picture. I'm going to email TSI the reciept for my flight to the interview in order to 'test the water'.

What I need to find out is - what are the schooling arangemtns as well as what sort of accomidation is on offer. Will double check with TSI.

I'm fortunate enought to be heading over to Dubai for a short holiday next week - so am keen to look around Abu Dhabi - the schools apartments etc - let me know if there is anything I can do for you while I'm there mate.

Great - let me knoe if you get the job

PS - I operated a refinery in SA "Engen Petroleum" and put out some seriuos fires in my time - some scary stuff - we had a crude unit, alky plant, lube oils plant and a crude storage tank.
Hi Mike,
I went for the Operator interview 3 weeks ago. Apparently your CV will have already been screened by X, Y and Z and the interview is more of a check your not a bell end basically . All I was asked was how much oil we were producing, how many wells we had, and if I worked upstream or downstream...There was no chance to ask any questions or 'sell yourself' as you'd expect. There was a few of us (Ops) at the interview, all sat at the same table. After the interview a few of the guys were called, hands shaken in the corridor and they were off...they weren't in the HR part of the interview so assume they didnt get it...
Al
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Ah ok. So the allowance will change depending on your family size.

Here was me hoping for a penthouse!
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Ah ok. So the allowance will change depending on your family size.

Here was me hoping for a penthouse!
I asked that same question to HR mate. They told me that the allowance for housing is the same if you are single or a family. The only thing that would increase is your furniture allowance.

Last edited by expathopeful; Feb 3rd 2013 at 9:17 am. Reason: Im a plebb
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by expathopeful
I asked that same question to HR mate. They told me that the allowance for housing is the same if you are single or a family. The only thing that would increase is your housing allowance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.