Abu Dhabi move

Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:42 am
Just Joined

mr_man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi move

Hi,

I'm currently negotiating a transfer to Abu Dhabi, working for the ME division of my firm, which is based in Oz,

The role is in finance/accounting.

The main objective behind the move is to make a decent saving before eventually moving back (3-4 years).

We're a family of three; my wife, our three month old and me. The misses is a qualified Accountant and will eventually look for a job in AD when bubs is a year old.

Now for my question. Is this the going rate for an accountant:

Basic - AED 45k pm
Accommodation - AED 160k pa
Vehicle allowance - AED 3k pm
Medical insurance for self and family
Once off relocation
Annual business class return tickets for self and family

Is this what the market is offering? Haven't seen any posts in relation to accounting jobs so I can't really tell.

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Abu Dhabi move

Originally Posted by mr_man
Hi,

I'm currently negotiating a transfer to Abu Dhabi, working for the ME division of my firm, which is based in Oz,

The role is in finance/accounting.

The main objective behind the move is to make a decent saving before eventually moving back (3-4 years).

We're a family of three; my wife, our three month old and me. The misses is a qualified Accountant and will eventually look for a job in AD when bubs is a year old.

Now for my question. Is this the going rate for an accountant:

Basic - AED 45k pm
Accommodation - AED 160k pa
Vehicle allowance - AED 3k pm
Medical insurance for self and family
Once off relocation
Annual business class return tickets for self and family

Is this what the market is offering? Haven't seen any posts in relation to accounting jobs so I can't really tell.

Thanks everyone.
If you're planning to stay a while, then what will they do about school fees?

Otherwise, looks like a pretty decent package.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

We should be back before the little one's of school going age. If not, then I'll re-negotiate something in four years.

Anyway, it's all locked in now. Making the move in December, just after christmas.

Another question- I'm trying to work out the logistics of sorting out temporary accommodation, whether we'll need one and for how long.

How long does it take on average to secure long term accommodation? I've been looking at some properties online in the Al Raha and Al Reem communities where I think we'll most likely be renting.

What would is the average lead time from inspection, to signing the lease to moving in?

Thanks all.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:26 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

We should be back before the little one's of school going age. If not, then I'll re-negotiate something in four years.

Anyway, it's all locked in now. Making the move in December, just after christmas.

Another question- I'm trying to work out the logistics of sorting out temporary accommodation, whether we'll need one and for how long.

How long does it take on average to secure long term accommodation? I've been looking at some properties online in the Al Raha and Al Reem communities where I think we'll most likely be renting.

What would is the average lead time from inspection, to signing the lease to moving in?

Thanks all.
The best thing to do is clarify what their approach is to school fees now. Otherwise you've got a timer on your stay here.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
The best thing to do is clarify what their approach is to school fees now. Otherwise you've got a timer on your stay here.
Not really. He is on an all in package of 62k month which will be more than comfortable - The school fees will start at around 35k A YEAR in AD. His misses will be working once the kid is in school earning probably around 25k a month.

School fees are not a deal breaker here (unless he suddenly has loads). I would take the practical approach and cross that bridge when it comes.

In 5 years time, I'm due a 25% pay cut as I will be 'local'. I couldn't care less - 5 years is a long way away and I'll either renegotiate at the time, change jobs or the HR policy will change again (it's changed twice in the two years I've been with my current employer)... so, hardly a cause for sleepless nights and it's a conversation I'd rather defer - why piss them off now for an event that may never happen?

Pick your battles - this isn't one of them...
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

How long does it take on average to secure long term accommodation?
As long or as quick as you like. From viewing my current house to moving in was 2.5 weeks. The house was repainted in that time too. We could have done it quicker if my landlord wasn't on holiday and DHL'ing the contracts.

If you want more than a month then the agents won't talk to you.

But you will need a residence visa first - that can take weeks to come if your employer is slack.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
As long or as quick as you like. From viewing my current house to moving in was 2.5 weeks. The house was repainted in that time too. We could have done it quicker if my landlord wasn't on holiday and DHL'ing the contracts.

If you want more than a month then the agents won't talk to you.

But you will need a residence visa first - that can take weeks to come if your employer is slack.
Yep. If you want to house hunt but you can't move within 4 weeks, you'll have to lie to the agents otherwise they won't be interested. Don't feel bad about it: they'll certainly lie to you, so make sure you verify EVERYTHING they say.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Bored and all that.

If i were you moving now, I'd drop the school fees for now too. However, be warned, we came out here for 3 years with a 2 year old and are in our 5th year here, with 2 more children.

Al Reem would get my vote as area as it's central and has great amenities (esp Sun & Sand tower). Access to a nearby pool is pretty critical, especially with kids, and a real life enhancer.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 1:44 am
Just Joined

In 5 years time, I'm due a 25% pay cut as I will be 'local'. I couldn't care less - 5 years is a long way away and I'll either renegotiate at the time, change jobs or the HR policy will change again (it's changed twice in the two years I've been with my current employer)... so, hardly a cause for sleepless nights and it's a conversation I'd rather defer - why piss them off now for an event that may never happen?
My thoughts exactly. If we're still there in 4-5 years time then I can bring up education.

At this point, we're only willing to commit 4 years.

I'm still looking into that. Not sure how it will work with Visas and everything. My 'circumstances' are a bit unusual in that I've got an Aussie passport and a GCC one. I imagine I'll be using the GCC one in AD. I need to look into what that will mean in terms of residency and work permit.

Originally Posted by al dente

Al Reem would get my vote as area as it's central and has great amenities (esp Sun & Sand tower). Access to a nearby pool is pretty critical, especially with kids, and a real life enhancer.
What's the Sun & Sand tower? Also, I've been looking at the "Al Muneera" complex. I think they are aparments. Are they shoe boxes or decent sized?

Any tips I can get on neighbourhoods would be welcome. I've already done quite a bit of research on this but would be good to hear from some of the forum members here.

Al Dente- your location seems to suggest that you're an Aussie. Is there a big Australian community in AD? Especially in terms of young families?

Silly question- Do they sell Tim Tams and Vegemite there?

Thanks for your responses everyone, been very helpful.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I've had Tim Tams here.... I think it was from the AD Co-op. Or was it Lulu Supermarket? They have Shapes though.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts exactly. If we're still there in 4-5 years time then I can bring up education.

At this point, we're only willing to commit 4 years.

I'm still looking into that. Not sure how it will work with Visas and everything. My 'circumstances' are a bit unusual in that I've got an Aussie passport and a GCC one. I imagine I'll be using the GCC one in AD. I need to look into what that will mean in terms of residency and work permit.

What's the Sun & Sand tower? Also, I've been looking at the "Al Muneera" complex. I think they are aparments. Are they shoe boxes or decent sized?

Any tips I can get on neighbourhoods would be welcome. I've already done quite a bit of research on this but would be good to hear from some of the forum members here.

Al Dente- your location seems to suggest that you're an Aussie. Is there a big Australian community in AD? Especially in terms of young families?

Thanks for your responses everyone, been very helpful.
I'm dual Brit/ Aussie. They have tim tams and vegemite here, though we refuse to touch the vegemite rubbish, I want a taste that delivers!

Not sure re Al Muneera as I've never been to it. Sun and Sand towers have a few of my husband's colleagues in and they're all happy. There are pools, play areas, cafes etc and a supermarket so just really convenient. If you are both going to be working it will be really easy (and quick) to get to most areas downtown.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good choice of biscuit. I've seen Vegemite but I think you will find most people who post here will be on the Marmite.

Oh, and yes, you will almost certainly be on a GCC passport if you declare owning one. I would have thought that would make a lot of your life easier... although landlords may have a preference for an Aussie passport holder -especially, if (say) you are an Iraqi.

Only comment on the schools - if you are here 4 years, and start considering 5, you might start regretting not enrolling your child when (s)he was 3. Schools places are quite tight.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Lucyccfc is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister lives in an apartment at Al Muneera. It's a really nice place. There are a mix of large townhouses and apartments. My sisters apartment is average size, open plan lounge/diner and then kitchen. 2 bathrooms and extra toilet and bedroom. Most apartments blocks have a pool and gym and it's a lovely walk down to the beach, overlooking Yas. In the middle of Al Muneera, there is a really nice grassed area with a shaded playground for children. Etihad Plaza is close and these is a smallish supermarket there and a few places to eat. There is a supermarket within walking distance, but you wouldn't want to do it in the summer heat. When the units by the beach start to open I.e. caves and shops, it will be even better. I think Al Muneera is great and everyone we met were really friendly.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Lucyccfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, would agree with Millhouse. You should look at schools well before your child is due to start. Getting a place can be a bit fierce at times. My sister works at BSAK and it has a great reputation, but as with all schools, don't leave it too late to consider applying for a place.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

re Schools: In Abu Dhabi ( i believe) you can only apply the spring before the September start.

However, you can do it for FS1 (3 rising 4) to get ahead of the rush for FS2 (4 rising 5).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.