British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   2 weeks in....ready to quit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/2-weeks-ready-quit-921460/)

SandyMcSand Jan 26th 2019 2:59 pm

2 weeks in....ready to quit

Long story short....moved over from the UK to Dubai. Settling in to the new job, just received my Emirates ID and family are on their way to join me in a few weeks. Only one problem...the job was totally mis-sold to me. Literally nothing like what I applied for and involves travel all over the GCC (mostly KSA). Our decision to come here was based on spending more quality time together.

Planning on finding another job in Dubai. Just wanted some advice around the implications of throwing the towel in this early.

Im on an indefinite contract and my contract states that id have to pay back the relocation costs (£2k) - is there anything else I should be wary of?

ta

The Sand Man

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 27th 2019 5:47 am

Re: 2 weeks in....ready to quit

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12627625)
Long story short....moved over from the UK to Dubai. Settling in to the new job, just received my Emirates ID and family are on their way to join me in a few weeks. Only one problem...the job was totally mis-sold to me. Literally nothing like what I applied for and involves travel all over the GCC (mostly KSA). Our decision to come here was based on spending more quality time together.

Planning on finding another job in Dubai. Just wanted some advice around the implications of throwing the towel in this early.

Im on an indefinite contract and my contract states that id have to pay back the relocation costs (£2k) - is there anything else I should be wary of?

ta

The Sand Man

Pay back the relocation costs if you resign in probation or....ever?

I'd find a new job before jacking it in, for obvious reasons....I'd also leave the family back home until you get the situation sorted.

What sort of work do you do?

SandyMcSand Jan 27th 2019 6:54 am

HI’ve got over 10 years experience in rail/transport construction (project and programme management) and the last 2 years in consulting. The firm I’ve joined hired me for to develop their business in a niche specific area and now thats not the case and the majority of the work is in KSA - which isn’t an option with a young family.

It’s a bit of a kick in the teeth. I’ve spoken to them and they’ve posted me on a reasonable real estate project in AD. But looking at the pipeline and the clients they are targeting it just seems like a waste of time.

and payback the relocation in the first year.

Millhouse Jan 27th 2019 7:20 am

sucks. Good luck with finding a new role, it will not be easy here.

Can you go home with tail between legs back to previous employer?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 27th 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12627929)
HI’ve got over 10 years experience in rail/transport construction (project and programme management) and the last 2 years in consulting. The firm I’ve joined hired me for to develop their business in a niche specific area and now thats not the case and the majority of the work is in KSA - which isn’t an option with a young family.

It’s a bit of a kick in the teeth. I’ve spoken to them and they’ve posted me on a reasonable real estate project in AD. But looking at the pipeline and the clients they are targeting it just seems like a waste of time.

and payback the relocation in the first year.

You've joined a consultant here?
Are they an international firm or local?
There must be other opportunities in the UAE?

Sounds like they've tried their best to come up with a solution though, so that's not too bad in the short term?

SandyMcSand Jan 27th 2019 7:35 am

Yes. I’m in consulting and was in a big 4 before and now in a design/engineering firm that is trying to establish a consulting arm.

There are other opportunities in the firm which I am exploring as well as other opportunities and have had a few convos with a some public/gov companies.

Definitely not looking to move back to Blighty...just yet.

carcajou Jan 27th 2019 7:50 am

Not an unusual feeling. The first few months in the Gulf can be overwhelming. I used to always tell our new staff, your first six months or so are about riding it out and then your second six months things stabilise, and you really get a handle on things and decide if it's for you or not.

Unfortunately, what you described about the job being "mis-sold" is also not uncommon.

As Scamp noted they look like they have tried to accommodate you to some extent, and that isn't nothing. Everything is with the employer in the Gulf and they could easily have told you to just pound sand. Also concur about leaving the family back home until things get stabilised. I think most companies even recommend leaving the family at home until you get yourself sorted? Mine did.

You need to read your resignation language very carefully in the contract. In the Gulf it's not as simple as just quitting and taking a job elsewhere. If you don't read the fine print and just walk out, and have a vindictive manager/company, you can get branded as an absconder and blacklisted from other UAE employment.

SandyMcSand Jan 27th 2019 8:43 am

Thanks guys for all the advice. My main concern was around the whole concept of being blacklisted. The plan is to play it by ear for now and look for something in the mean time.

I work for a large British firm so I’m hoping blacklisting is not an issue.

Millhouse Jan 27th 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12627964)
Thanks guys for all the advice. My main concern was around the whole concept of being blacklisted. The plan is to play it by ear for now and look for something in the mean time.

you never know. But as a degree holder I thought you can pay 500 to Clear it?

https://gulfnews.com/how-to/your-mon...-uae-1.2183383

carcajou Jan 27th 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12627966)

you never know.

Yes. My company ran pretty hot and cold about applying it to runners.

British firm or not, UAE employment law applies.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 27th 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand (Post 12627964)

Doesn't matter where the firm is from, they can all be dicks if they want to be.

You won't struggle for any sort of NOCs etc when moving or any of those issues given earnings and position.

Have a look around at what else is out there in your field before making any decisions. I won't play guess-the-company with you but I work for a similar organisation and at the moment I'm telling all colleagues I deal with internally that 'all roads lead to Saudi'. If you can get a good secure gig here, even if in AD on real estate and not what you were hoping to do.....it's a good secure gig here.

Crossing my fingers you don't work for us and weren't recruited by me. :fingerscrossed:

EveryonesEd Feb 9th 2019 12:31 pm

Hey mate. I work for a competitor, but over in south east Asia.

Might be able to help you get out of there.

Send me a message if you’d like to chat.

Millhouse Feb 9th 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by EveryonesEd (Post 12634683)
Hey mate. I work for a competitor, but over in south east Asia.

Might be able to help you get out of there.

Send me a message if you’d like to chat.

it’s a trap. They will show you Singapore and post you to Bangladesh.

SandyMcSand May 6th 2019 7:26 am

Hi guys

Thought I’d touch base and give an update. Things have turned out fairly well. The project in AD wasn’t the best but had a great team so it was fun. The next project seems to be in KSA and hopefully with an uplift. The plan now is to keep the family back in the UK and max out on the opportunities in KSA.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

Ths Sand Man

Millhouse May 6th 2019 9:49 am

Drama queen 😂

glad its worked out.