Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

17,000SAR pm How well can you live?

17,000SAR pm How well can you live?

Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

david999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17,000SAR pm How well can you live?

Hi all,

Just wondering how well you could live in Khobar KSA on 17,000 SAR per month, basically this would have to cover food and Internet and the rest spending money for two people?
I'm not talking about a super luxury lifestyle, but we'd obviously want to live fairly well and enjoy ourselves.
We're from the UK and would be living in a compound.

TIA
David
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17,000SAR pm How well can you live?

If your housing costs are met, you will have a lot to play with. KSA can be fairly cheap if you avoid the luxurious lifestyles that are available to the foolish. Put it this way, middle class Asian familes in Khobar get by on a quarter of what you will be getting !

Are you provided with a car as well ?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Scot47,

Housing costs are met including utilities, just Internet and long distance calls to pay for and will be living on compound, possibly Oasis Gardens!
Yes, car, insurance, maintenance is provided, only pay for petrol for private use.

Regards
David
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi David,

with your major expenses of housing and car covered your living costs can be minimal. Petrol is very cheap, I think we spend about SR50 per week (maybe less). Another cost to consider is limo transport for you wife (I am presuming here). Most expat ladies prefer a private limo service (not really a limo, usually a Camry etc.) as the drivers typically have good English and are reliable. A one way trip generally starts at SR30.

Food costs: 2L milk = SR7, 500g chicken = SR16, I don't like the loaf bread produced here but fresh arabic bread is good SR2/pack. Lulu market has Kingsmill for about SR30 per loaf. Eggs are about SR10 for a dozen. Locally produced vegetables (Qassim) are good and inexpensive, but fruit is imported, relatively expensive and often not in good condition. The banana's and pineapples seem to survive well but I haven't had a decent apple or pear since summer. Your food expenses will depend on the amount of imported and /or processed food you eat. Takeaway from a decent Turkish or Indian restaurant can be less than SR50 for two.

You may want to consider keeping multiple exit/re-entry visa's for trips to Bahrain. These cost SR500 per person and last approximately 6 months. I'm not sure what we pay for internet but I think it's about SR1200-1500 per year.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Lostinthedust, very helpful.
Any idea what kind of Internet speed is here, or does it vary by compound/location?

Tia
David
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:44 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by david999
Hi all,

Just wondering how well you could live in Khobar KSA on 17,000 SAR per month, basically this would have to cover food and Internet and the rest spending money for two people?
I'm not talking about a super luxury lifestyle, but we'd obviously want to live fairly well and enjoy ourselves.
We're from the UK and would be living in a compound.

TIA
David
I spend about 15k and that includes groceries, kids activities, maid, clothes and an odd restaurant meal. Pretty decent living at that so you will be fine on 17k with no kids.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

lostinthedust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
I spend about 15k and that includes groceries, kids activities, maid, clothes and an odd restaurant meal. Pretty decent living at that so you will be fine on 17k with no kids.
Yes, guestimate about the same 14K a month (with 1 kid + 3 cats).

Our Mobily internet is about average I suppose, not sure of the speed. It works, so I am happy enough. Some Khobar folk may be able to offer advice on what's best over there.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:18 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lostinthedust
Yes, guestimate about the same 14K a month (with 1 kid + 3 cats).

Our Mobily internet is about average I suppose, not sure of the speed. It works, so I am happy enough. Some Khobar folk may be able to offer advice on what's best over there.
We have compound internet service 200 per month. nothing exciting, a few hours to download a movie and Skype works well most of times.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, nice to know.

Regards
David
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You will be fine unless you are heavy drinkers and need to buy smuggled booze. As you are married, you will presumably not need to splash out on Asian takeaways of the non-food variety, which can be expensive I believe.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Smuggled booze is for weaklings. Find your nearest bootlegger and start using "Sidiki". Or take a still and become a bootlegger yourself !
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mentalist
As you are married, you will presumably not need to splash out on Asian takeaways of the non-food variety, which can be expensive I believe.
LOL at mentalist!!
Took me a minute or two to think what non-food takeaways were...

Regards
David
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:42 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

All the supermarkets have some very good grape juice to brew with .
Old Mar 8th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Shop around. I'm in the capital and local Arab bread (flat, heavy, like tortilla) is 1sar. 12 eggs for 6 sar (and decent fruit available, both a local shop near my work) It's the supermarkets that are an issue with stuff being higher priced and frequently (fruit) bruised, squashed, or just harvested too early. The highway-side sellers seem to have fairly ripe stuff in larger sacks. Juice is an issue, they stick all sorts of nasty stuff in it that makes most of it undrinkable.

You can shop around and find local brands that are acceptable. But HP brown sauce at £4 a bottle? Shocking! 1.5l Vimto squash for £3. Haven't seen Marmite yet.

As for internet, check with your neighbours when you arrive which ISP works at that location, then check offers instore (don't trust the fliers as they are generally undated and used to suck you in even after a deal is gone, as disappointing as lottery scratchcards back home when the main prizes have already been won)

At least you've got a car laid on, so you've got your freedom and ability to shop around easily.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Beakersful, very helpful.
Like everything else, shop around, I'm an expert at that by now!

Regards
David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.