Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

You cant get Advanced parole- walk In in Chicago any more! Changed as of June 1st, 2002

Wikiposts

You cant get Advanced parole- walk In in Chicago any more! Changed as of June 1st, 2002

Old Jul 11th 2002, 12:20 am
Patricia

Default You cant get Advanced parole- walk In in Chicago any more! Changed as of June 1st, 2002

We went to chicago to get ap yesterdayTEST what a waste of time! We checked the INS
site and heard nothing about - same as for this site. My husbands moms health is
poor- I am teacher and can travel in the summer easiet. Didnt matter- Now yu need a
Letter from a hospital stating emergency situation with health AND you flight
confirmation letters. I other words, If his mom is dying he can probably get there
for the funeral by the time all the proper documentation is gathered. I really hate
the INS. We have been waiting for AP since March of 2000. The woman downstairs told
us to go upstairs and see about that. We waited for an hour in a demoralizing line,
only to be given a form to inquire! When we asked to talk to someone about it- she
gave us another number and told us we were free to wait another 2 oe 3 hours and be
told the same thing....So nice. I am writing to my Congresswoman. I am so disgusted
with them.

Old Jul 11th 2002, 1:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: You cant get Advanced parole- walk In in Chicago any more! Changed as of June 1st, 2002

March 2000?!?! What the hell? You should be *screaming* at your congresswoman.
Don't write, pick up the phone *now*. They can put conditions on giving emergency
APs but regular ones they should just process in a normal timeframe - usually 90
days would be tops.

Scream, now!!!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Patricia"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > We went to chicago to get ap yesterdayTEST what a waste of time! We checked the INS
    > site and heard nothing about - same as for this site. My husbands moms health is
    > poor- I am teacher and can travel in the summer easiet. Didnt matter- Now yu need a
    > Letter from a hospital stating emergency situation with health AND you flight
    > confirmation letters. I other words, If his mom is dying he can probably get there
    > for the funeral by the time all the proper documentation is gathered. I really hate
    > the INS. We have been waiting for AP since March of 2000. The woman downstairs told
    > us to go upstairs and see about that. We waited for an hour in a demoralizing line,
    > only to be given a form to inquire! When we asked to talk to someone about it- she
    > gave us another number and told us we were free to wait another 2 oe 3 hours and be
    > told the same thing....So nice. I am writing to my Congresswoman. I am so disgusted
    > with them.

Old Jul 11th 2002, 9:20 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: You cant get Advanced parole- walk In in Chicago any more!

Andy Platt wrote:
    > March 2000?!?! What the hell? You should be *screaming* at your congresswoman.
    > Don't write, pick up the phone *now*. They can put conditions on giving emergency
    > APs but regular ones they should just process in a normal timeframe - usually 90
    > days would be tops.
    >
Andy, can you give me that URl that shows where that was changed? alvena

Old Jul 11th 2002, 2:20 pm
Patricia

Default Re: You cant get Advanced parole- walk In in Chicago any more! Changed as of June 1st, 2002

I called INS one day till I got a couple of people to talk to me and they said...36
months was the processing time now from time of AOS filing till interview. Sooooo...
they said it was at ONLY 28 months ...they were not behind in our case untill after
the 36 months! I told them our estimate on our receipt was 12-18 monthsTESTthey said
, well its changed, now its 36 months. For the AP they say you will receive a reply
to your application in 30 days....We will see.

Old Jul 11th 2002, 4:14 pm
K

here is the URL and info from the INS/Chicago office website (see below)

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/fieldoff...m#anchor155614

Filing Procedures: Beginning June 1, 2002, all applications for Advance Parole must
be MAILED to the Chicago District Office. To apply for Advance Parole, all applicants
should complete Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document) and mail it to the
following address:

Immigration and Naturalization Service
P.O. Box A3462 Chicago, IL 60690-3462 Attn: Advance Parole.

Once the I-131 is approved, the applicant will be scheduled to come in to the INS
office to pick up the Advance Parole (Form I-512). All applicants must present the
appointment letter and a photo identification in order to receive the I-512. All
applicants will receive a response from INS within 30 days. Call (312) 385-1820 if
you have additional questions.

Emergency requests will be handled on a case-by-case basis for processing in less
than 30 days. When mailing the application, applicants should submit a cover letter
and supporting documentation to justify the emergency, along with a telephone number
where they can be reached.

NOTE: Applicants who have a pending employment-based I-485 must request Advance
Parole from the Lincoln Nebraska Service Center where such applications are
processed.

Old Jul 12th 2002, 1:20 am
Andy Platt

You said you had been waiting for AP since March 2000, not AOS. OK, now I understand
- most offices only allow you to mail in AP applications except for emergencies. It's
terrible that Chicago doesn't allow emergency applications to be filed in person and
processed same day - if they really are sticking to that rule.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Patricia"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I called INS one day till I got a couple of people to talk to me and they said...36
    > months was the processing time now from time of AOS filing till interview.
    > Sooooo... they said it was at ONLY 28 months ...they were not behind in our case
    > untill after the 36 months! I told them our estimate on our receipt was 12-18
    > monthsTESTthey said , well its changed, now its 36 months. For the AP they say you
    > will receive a reply to your application in 30 days....We will see.