Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

....and yet Another Batch of Questions!

Wikiposts

....and yet Another Batch of Questions!

Old Nov 9th 2003, 4:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ....and yet Another Batch of Questions!

Hi All (again)

I ran across some more questions and would like your input, if you don't mind :-) This is for the P3 paperwork for my foreign fiance.

DS-230, Part I, #20 - "Places you have lived for at least 6 months since reaching the age of 16, including places in your country of nationality". Basically he's lived in 2 places....Tehran and Istanbul. He did a 2-year military duty wherever they sent him, but his mailing and home address were still Tehran. Is it ok to just put those two places of residence?

DS-230, Part I, #23 - "List all educational institutions attended". Do they want elementary school, middle school, and high school here? There's no diploma associated with elem. and middle school....leave it blank?

DS-156, #23 - "E-Mail Address". He doesn't have one, can I use mine, in case they need to send any information, I will get it?

DS-156, #27 - "What is the purpose of your trip?" To marry my fiancee. Should we be specific as to giving my full name as the fiancee so they're clear who that person is? And, should we continue on, saying "and to reside in the US"? Or leave it at getting married?

Side Note: On #22 - "When do you intend to arrive in the US?" I want to write "YESTERDAY!!!!!!" LOL But I'll write "unknown" since we have no idea. :-(

DS-156, #34 - "Names and relationships of persons traveling with you". The plan is that I'll go there and return to the states with him, but nothing is certain yet, of course. Should we put my name there just in case it does work out that way? Or say none, in case I don't get to go?

DS-157, #17 "List all educational institutes you have attended. Include vocational but not elementary schools." I guess here I should list the middle school and high school? He didn't attend college.

Thank you all SOOO much for your help. Sorry if my questions sound silly......

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ....and yet Another Batch of Questions!

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi All (again)

I ran across some more questions and would like your input, if you don't mind :-) This is for the P3 paperwork for my foreign fiance.

DS-230, Part I, #20 - "Places you have lived for at least 6 months since reaching the age of 16, including places in your country of nationality". Basically he's lived in 2 places....Tehran and Istanbul. He did a 2-year military duty wherever they sent him, but his mailing and home address were still Tehran. Is it ok to just put those two places of residence?

DS-230, Part I, #23 - "List all educational institutions attended". Do they want elementary school, middle school, and high school here? There's no diploma associated with elem. and middle school....leave it blank?

DS-156, #23 - "E-Mail Address". He doesn't have one, can I use mine, in case they need to send any information, I will get it?

DS-156, #27 - "What is the purpose of your trip?" To marry my fiancee. Should we be specific as to giving my full name as the fiancee so they're clear who that person is? And, should we continue on, saying "and to reside in the US"? Or leave it at getting married?

Side Note: On #22 - "When do you intend to arrive in the US?" I want to write "YESTERDAY!!!!!!" LOL But I'll write "unknown" since we have no idea. :-(

DS-156, #34 - "Names and relationships of persons traveling with you". The plan is that I'll go there and return to the states with him, but nothing is certain yet, of course. Should we put my name there just in case it does work out that way? Or say none, in case I don't get to go?

DS-157, #17 "List all educational institutes you have attended. Include vocational but not elementary schools." I guess here I should list the middle school and high school? He didn't attend college.

Thank you all SOOO much for your help. Sorry if my questions sound silly......

Best Wishes!
Rene
Hi:

Relax a bit.

Remember that the DS-156 & 157 forms are for ALL non-immigrant visas, usually visitors. If you keep this in mind, answering the questions is a lot easier.

DS-156, Part 1 #20 -- they are more interested in countries rather than actual addresses. So put in Istanbul and Tehran. For military -- I just put in the name of the military service. [I will admit that I haven't done this for an "axis of evil" country since 9-11 -- but I do it all the time for men from countries with consicrption and its never been a rpoblem]

#23 -- I've never listed elementary or middle schools. This is especially true for countires with mandatory education. I put in post-secondary education. Take your hint off the DS-157.

E-mail address -- this is a new one. If he doesn't have one -- then "none" is just fine -- it is true, no?

#27 -- again, this is for ALL non-immigrants -- but the correct answer here is "marry fiance" -- that is the legal purpose of his trip, no?

#34 -- this is often to tie in with other visa applicants. Or lets say a child who needs to be accompanied. In his case, its just fine to say "none" or "no one". His legal plan is to JOIN you in the US which is slightly different.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

I would not put unknown, I would put a date down maybe a month after the return date of the form.. if they are anything like the UK embassy they do try and accomodate that date, so you may manage to get him there sooner. If you put unknown you may end up further down the list....

Lee
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leebarton
I would not put unknown, I would put a date down maybe a month after the return date of the form.. if they are anything like the UK embassy they do try and accomodate that date, so you may manage to get him there sooner. If you put unknown you may end up further down the list....

Lee
Lee - thank you, I think you're right in putting down some kind of date instead of unknown. Actually, we have already discussed that the best time for him to come is in January (even if his interview is in December), so I'll pick an arbitrary date in January. :-)

Folinsky - thank you once again for your calming influence and your help with all my panicky questions! :-)

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:51 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi nervous girl!!!

Folinsky is the BOMB!!!

We are going to put the day he actually hopes to travel as his arrival date (it is still a matter of debate between the two of us, but we're settling on the first week of January probably). Who knows? Maybe they'll be nice and actually give it to us. Sadegh doesn't have his packet 3 yet, does he?!?

Leslie

Originally posted by Noorah101
Lee - thank you, I think you're right in putting down some kind of date instead of unknown. Actually, we have already discussed that the best time for him to come is in January (even if his interview is in December), so I'll pick an arbitrary date in January. :-)

Folinsky - thank you once again for your calming influence and your help with all my panicky questions! :-)

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:14 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by leebarton

Lee
Hi:

On the date of intended travel, I put in "ASAP" -- this is usually the truth more often than not.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 3:34 am

Originally posted by Leslie66
Sadegh doesn't have his packet 3 yet, does he?!?
Hi Leslie!

Nope, not yet!! Ankara hasn't answered my emails, either! :-(

Rene