British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   YAAOST - Yet Another Adjustment of Status Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/yaaost-yet-another-adjustment-status-thread-713703/)

Zap-Robo Apr 18th 2011 4:12 am

YAAOST - Yet Another Adjustment of Status Thread

As a sequel to my "best seller" YAKAT - Yet Another K1 Application Thread where I chronicled my move to the USA on a K1 and subsequent marriage, I thought I'd post the second half.

Adjustment of Status now that I'm married.

I've not actually had any questions on this particular process - it has all been fairly straight forward (despite hiccups), but I reckon some might be interested by the details or be helped with info on the time-frames involved.

For those following our "intrepid hero" form the previous thread (i.e. me!) then you'll be aware that I got married on 9th December 2010.

--

5th January 2011
After a break for the Christmas Holidays (an experience in and of itself - never done extended family Christmases!) I posted the AoS documentation.

This consisted of the regular AoS forms and evidence as very clearly outlined in the wiki here! I also sent a G-1145 to get SMS and Email updates and filed for EAD and AP simultaneously (hey, it was free!).

6th January 2011
Paperwork arrived at Chicago, handily confirmed by using the USPS Express/Track and Confirm services. I liked the peace of mind.

10th January 2011
Official USCIS Emails and SMS messages actually arrived to confirm official receipt of my paperwork. Start the clock!

14th January 2011
An appointment notice dropped through the door for Biometrics. Taking place in Cleveland, OH (unsurprisingly) for 27th Jan, 9am. All nice and quick so far!

27th January 2011
Attended the biometrics appointment. Arrived ludicrously early as had no idea what traffic may be like. Wasn't actually allowed past building security until a half hour or so before my 9am appointment.

Found my way to the office, and was given a form to fill out. Word to the wise make sure you know your own weight, height, and eye colour in advance! Had a lovely view of the Cleveland Browns Stadium, mind :)

Staff were happy and chatty during the biometrics (not so much during the form filling!). Was out before 9am.

31st January 2011
Disaster! The day after our wedding reception (we scheduled it well after the wedding so we weren't rushing the proceedings - pics on request!) we get a dreaded set of "Request for Initial Evidence" notices. Three of them, saying what we sent was insufficient.

After 24hrs to calm down, I went through the RFE's and translated them for those who don't speak "government form letter". We sent along the W-2's we had at the time, but we didn't yet have 2010's W-2's.

As far as I understood, the lack of evidence of earnings for the "current" tax year meant that they would reject the AoS out of hand if I sent nothing further.

Luckily, the W-2's had arrived in the meantime. Plus, the RFE's advised we had 87 days to submit the new info. Simples.

4th March 2011
It took a good long while to cajole employer letters out of the wife's parents (counting as the same household) as well as copies of their new W-2's for 2010, but we got there and posted the Evidence Requested.

We were back to a waiting game.

19th March 2011
Despite having no update on my case at all, I happened to check the case status online and noted it had been updated to say they had the new evidence we sent. So that was a relief! Still waiting, though.

1st April 2011
Random checks on the USCIS Case Status page seem worthwhile - on this date I spotted that my EAD card had gone into production. Still no update on the AoS itself though.

7th April 2011
Employment Authorisation Document Card arrives in the mail. Doubles as Advanced Parole too. So that was nice! What's more, another random USCIS Status Check shows that I've got an interview scheduled for 9th May! No idea what time for, but suspect that'll be in the post! Cooking on gas now!

11th April 2011
Interview notice arrives, as seen scheduled for 9th May at 8.30am. What a preposterously early time!

--

And that's where I am! Since getting the EAD card and starting some job hunting I've had one interview and far too many offers for selling Medical Insurance from home on some form of multi-level marketing type scheme - they always sound so hurt when i tell them I'm not interested.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated (and ask any questions I may have, as I have them!)

Zap-Robo Apr 19th 2011 4:10 am

Re: YAAOST - Yet Another Adjustment of Status Thread

18th April 2011
Bit of an aside, but today I got a job offer from the interview I had on Friday. I shall be accepting it, so 11 days from EAD to job wasn't too bad I don't think!

I recommend anyone job hunting to use LinkedIn - I believe I first heard about the site from people here on BritishExpats actually, and networking using that site has turned up trumps for me!

iray Apr 19th 2011 5:08 am

Congratulations! I fully intend to use linkedin but don't want to go all out on it too soon before having EAD

Zap-Robo Apr 19th 2011 5:16 am

Originally Posted by iray (Post 9313247)
Congratulations! I fully intend to use linkedin but don't want to go all out on it too soon before having EAD

I actually got the contact from the company in question before I even left the UK (10 months ago) after asking about the job market for my field, in the area I'd be moving to.

No such thing as too soon - join up to a group that covers your market in your area and start asking questions :)

Zap-Robo May 9th 2011 12:37 am

8th May 2011
Well, it's my AOS interview in Cleveland tomorrow. Just wish I had more sleep last night (was on a 8pm to 8am shift overnight!) but hopefully the evidence gathered will be sufficient :)

Going to go to the zoo afterwards :)

CAdreaming May 9th 2011 3:17 am

great update thank you - exactly what ive been looking for as my biometrics is on 24 May so your timescales update is great
good luck tom
would be good to read about it

Zap-Robo May 9th 2011 3:41 am

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9351651)
would be good to read about it

Oh, I'll be reporting back - those that others have done have been a great help for me and the wife, so I feel obligated to continue the cycle :)

Night all! Will let you know the outcome tomorrow!

Zap-Robo May 9th 2011 8:11 pm

9th May 2011
Well, I'm back from Cleveland (via a pleasant trip at the zoo) and can happily report my green card should be coming through the mail within the next month (and hopefully sooner).

We arrived at the office around 15 minutes early and placed our interview notification in a tray, as directed by signs.

We were shortly invited in by the adjudicating officer and were seated in his office. The whole interview portion was recorded on DVD and added to my record. The record - it had everything in it up to an including all the packaging we had ever sent any paperwork to them in.

So, the questions...

After being sworn in, we went for a whole pile of affiliation and crime-related yes/no questions before getting down to some more relationship-y questions. I was asked...
  • What my marital status is
  • What my wife's relationship to me is
  • My birth date
  • Her birth date
  • My phone number
  • Her phone number
  • Where we met (and specific website, in our case as it was online)
  • When we met
  • Why it took us so long to get together
  • How often did I visit the USA
  • Date we got married
  • What my relationship with my in-laws was like
  • Where/if I am employed

I was then asked to offer up any supporting evidence. Out came the following....
  • Joint tax return
  • Joint bank account statements
  • Car insurance documents
  • Wife's Health Insurance documents (with me named as spouse, and beneficiary)
  • My first paycheck
  • Photo album (from our Wedding Reception)

These were all looked over, but not taken (despite the fact I had prepared copies in case they wanted to) and that was that. Given the speech that I need to reapply 90 days before 2 years are up, and that there would be no notification to do so.

It was simple, and efficient.

meauxna May 9th 2011 11:19 pm

Congratulations, Zap!! Welcome to America!!

Terrific write up; very clear. I know all those future AOSers will be glad to find it. :)

CAdreaming May 9th 2011 11:26 pm

Great write up. Thank you...really helpful for those of us in the system. Congrats!:thumbup:

Zap-Robo May 13th 2011 1:13 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9353733)
Congratulations, Zap!! Welcome to America!!

Terrific write up; very clear. I know all those future AOSers will be glad to find it. :)

Thanks meauxna! Was very disappointed that my interviewer didn't say the same - though he did say he's not at his best in the morning pre-coffee!

And as to the write-up, I feel I owe this forum heavily - the wiki and forum posts here helped me and the wife from beginning to end of this process. Plus in two years, I reckon it'll be helpful again too!

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9353739)
Great write up. Thank you...really helpful for those of us in the system. Congrats!:thumbup:

No worries CAdreaming - I'm glad I can show people the system works! Even if the system is slow, unwieldy, and filled with too much paperwork!

jeffreyhy May 13th 2011 1:40 pm

He was reviewing the I-485, having you verbally confirm the answers you gave.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Zap-Robo (Post 9353397)
After being sworn in, we went for a whole pile of affiliation and crime-related yes/no questions before getting down to some more relationship-y questions.

Zap-Robo May 13th 2011 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 9362094)
He was reviewing the I-485, having you verbally confirm the answers you gave.

Knew they sounded familiar :)

Anyways....

13th May 2011
I-797 arrives, of the Welcome Notice variety - written proof my permanent resident status is approved. For comparison, the previously reliable (for me) USCIS Case Checker is still saying the case is at the "Testing and Interview" stage.

Zap-Robo Jun 12th 2011 9:16 pm

11th June 2011
Green Card finally in hand. It's actually green (and blue). Many thanks to all who've helped along the way!

CAdreaming Jun 13th 2011 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Zap-Robo (Post 9428162)
11th June 2011
Green Card finally in hand. It's actually green (and blue). Many thanks to all who've helped along the way!

Great news!