Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

WTF.... I just got credit!

Wikiposts

WTF.... I just got credit!

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:27 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF.... I just got credit!

It was the wierdest feeling when she said it had been approved - a mix of sheer horror at how easy it was, and joy that I could start on the credit ladder!

It does show how easy it is to get into credit problems over here - considering that neither me nor DH are working right now, and I've only been in the country for a week, its not surprising that people get out of their depth.

The plan is to pay off what I bought yesterday as soon as the bill comes, and then just spend a little bit each month and pay that off early or on time as well, in full so I can show activity on it. I've told DH that we don't get tempted to apply for anything else now for at least 3-6 months so we don't appear desperate!

I was worried about just getting on the credit ladder over here, to the extent that I considered transferring my HSBC UK visa to over here if I could, but considering that has a high balance on it I think it would probably do me more harm than good now!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:05 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Sooooo... I arrived here on my CR1 Visa on Sunday 14th, along with my little monkeys who are on the CR2.

I ticked the box on the DS230 at the embassy to ask for my social security number to be sent to me, and was very very very excited this afternoon when it arrived in the mail, just one week after my arrival - I was not expecting it to come through until after Christmas, and was actually expecting to have to go down to the Social security office to chase it up.

Anyway... tonight we went to Macy's to get my Christmas present off my mum (new suits for interviews) and at the till they had a good old 20% off if you apply for a card - DH told me to do it, to test drive my new SSN - I was very hesitant, as I didn't want a ding on my report so soon after arriving, and I was convinced that having only had my SSN in my hand for 8 hours, with nothing connected to it at all, that it would get declined and then I would start to screw up my score before I'd even really got started.

But - it got approved......... I was stunned - I don't know what the credit limit on it is, but the suit was $200 so I know its for at least that - and whatever it is, at least its got me started. It is a little scary though just how easy it was to do.

I've told DH that we need to use the card probably a couple of times a month and pay it straight off to start to show a history, and not to get carried away thinking we are super-credit worthy and applying for anything. So I guess we'll see how long it takes for all the credit junk mail to start arriving!

7 days - 1 social security number - 1 credit account!!
You've discovered the food chain of credit. It begins with gas station and department store credit cards, and goes up from there.

My suggestion is that you either (a) carry a small balance (just watch the ridiculous interest charges) for a month or two, then pay it off in full, so that you can show that you can carry debt and repay it, or (b) just pay it off in full every month. Get a couple of these cards, but not too many, as too much credit can also be problematic. Do that for a while, and your credit history will actually have something for new, better creditors to chew on.

Once you've have had Visa, MC and AmEx for a time, you should cancel the department store cards. Cancel them in writing, and check your credit report to make sure that the account closing is shown as being done at your request, and not at the behest of the creditor.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:10 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
...(a) carry a small balance (just watch the ridiculous interest charges) for a month or two, then pay it off in full, so that you can show that you can carry debt and repay it, ...
That's pointless as it does nothing. For years I have always paid off everything in full, and never got anything where I was charged interest until I got my mortgage and had a very good credit score.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:37 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
That's pointless as it does nothing. For years I have always paid off everything in full, and never got anything where I was charged interest until I got my mortgage and had a very good credit score.
I wouldn't say that it's pointless. Creditors do like to see a history of balances that get paid off. I have always paid my balances in full, because I dislike the idea of paying interest for most purchases, but that method can slow the process of building credit.

Do keep in mind that we have a credit crunch, so it is going to take more diligence to build a credit rating now than it has for quite some time.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say that it's pointless. Creditors do like to see a history of balances that get paid off. I have always paid my balances in full, because I dislike the idea of paying interest for most purchases, but that method can slow the process of building credit.
I'm sceptical. After all, even if you pay the full balance every month, you are carrying a balance from the time of purchases to the time the credit card bill is paid. And looking at my detailed Experian credit report, it lists "monthly balances" for my credit cards even though I paid off that amount in full each month.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:51 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm sceptical. After all, even if you pay the full balance every month, you are carrying a balance from the time of purchases to the time the credit card bill is paid. And looking at my detailed Experian credit report, it lists "monthly balances" for my credit cards even though I paid off that amount in full each month.
Creditors don't view an unused credit line as favorably as they do credit lines that are used and paid as agreed. Carrying and paying the balances demonstrates an ability to borrow and repay, which is what creditors want most.

Having unused credit lines is better than having none at all, and having credit lines maxed out is also seen as a bad sign. But something in the middle is viewed as being most positive.

Also remember that during ordinary times, creditors prefer customers who carry balances because those accounts are more profitable. At the moment, creditors have put a priority on getting cash in the door, but normally, they much prefer collecting the high interest charges.

In the worst case scenario, customers who "play the float" (pay in full every month) are seen as leeches who are scamming the system by borrowing money for free. Not that I'd lose sleep over it, but you need to charge at least a few grand per year on a card just for them to breakeven.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Creditors don't view an unused credit line as favorably as they do credit lines that are used and paid as agreed. Carrying and paying the balances demonstrates an ability to borrow and repay, which is what creditors want most.
A credit line that is used but paid off every month is used. It's not an unused credit line, and as I mentioned, the monthly balances are reported to the credit agencies even if paid off every month.

Having unused credit lines is better than having none at all, and having credit lines maxed out is also seen as a bad sign. But something in the middle is viewed as being most positive.
Agreed. But this has nothing to do with whether the line is paid off every month. As soon as new purcahses are charged, the line is used once more.

Also remember that during ordinary times, creditors prefer customers who carry balances because those accounts are more profitable. At the moment, creditors have put a priority on getting cash in the door, but normally, they much prefer collecting the high interest charges.
Now this is definitely true, although an issue unrelated to one's actual credit score. Capital One, for example, is pretty notorious for giving students relatively high credit lines in the hopes they'll run up loads of debt they can't pay off.

In the worst case scenario, customers who "play the float" (pay in full every month) are seen as leeches who are scamming the system by borrowing money for free. Not that I'd lose sleep over it, but you need to charge at least a few grand per year on a card just for them to breakeven.
People like me are certainly less profitable than those they can gouge with high interest rates and silly fees. But card companies still make their x% per transaction from me.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:15 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
A credit line that is used but paid off every month is used.
They don't quite see it that way. For this purpose, a "balance" is something that can accrue interest. Playing the float is not the same as carrying a balance.

I realize that monthly payments in full are reported -- everything is -- but it isn't quite the same thing from the creditor's standpoint.

If you use a department store card for a couple of purchases in a given month, don't add to it thereafter before paying it off in full, paying interest for just a couple of months, then it amounts to a few percent of the purchase price. It doesn't cost that much to do it, just so long as you don't allow it to spiral out of control.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:26 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

They don't quite see it that way. For this purpose, a "balance" is something that can accrue interest. Playing the float is not the same as carrying a balance.

I realize that monthly payments in full are reported -- everything is -- but it isn't quite the same thing from the creditor's standpoint.

If you use a department store card for a couple of purchases in a given month, don't add to it thereafter before paying it off in full, paying interest for just a couple of months, then it amounts to a few percent of the purchase price. It doesn't cost that much to do it, just so long as you don't allow it to spiral out of control.
There are plenty of articles out there that do not support your view. The credit card company report your current standing once a month. If you happen to be close to your limit when they report (regardless of whether you intend to pay it off in full when your statement comes) it will have a negative impact because it looks like you are using your full credit line. It will be good for your score if you are using a portion of the amount available to you. If you are continually using a card, and you pay on the payment due date (rather than the day the statement is issued) then it will always show on your credit report that you are using some of the credit available to you, which is good for your score.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:31 am
Bloody Yank

If you happen to be close to your limit when they report (regardless of whether you intend to pay it off in full when your statement comes) it will have a negative impact because it looks like you are using your full credit line.
That's what I said. It's not wise to max out credit lines or to make only minimum payments.

However, carrying a balance of some amount, serviced with payments that exceed the minimum payment, demonstrates an ability to borrow and repay. Creditors like to see the borrowing and the repayment, as it gives them the comfort that you will repeat the behavior with them.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's what I said. It's not wise to max out credit lines or to make only minimum payments.

However, carrying a balance of some amount, serviced with payments that exceed the minimum payment, demonstrates an ability to borrow and repay. Creditors like to see the borrowing and the repayment, as it gives them the comfort that you will repeat the behavior with them.
Paying the full balance each month fulfills this:- payments (obviously) exceed the minimum amount, and you are borrowing from the time period between purchases and when the bill is paid.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:50 am
Not here much

What Giantaxe and I are saying is that you do not need to carry a balance (carrying a balance means not paying off in full).

I recalled a previous thread where this was discussed also: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489280
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

What Giantaxe and I are saying is that you do not need to carry a balance (carrying a balance means not paying off in full).

I recalled a previous thread where this was discussed also: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489280
Its funny I just started reading this and that thread came to mind.

But just to reiterate your score is made up of only things in your credit report. There is nothing on there to indicate whether you have paid off in full or have paid the minium. Credit card companies generally report your balance when your bill comes out - so even though I pay mine off in full every month I always get a balance reported to the agencies.

The only difference it could make is that to that specific lender they may see you as more profitable (which could lead to higher limits with them), or they may see you as a higher risk (lower limits). Apart from that unknown all you are doing by leaving a balance on the card is incurring pointless interest charges.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:13 am
Bloody Yank

I understand your point, and I am disagreeing with it.

If the OP pays the bill in full, and proceeds to carry the card with no subsequent activity, that card is doing nothing to improve her FICO score. You need usage and repayments to get a FICO score.

Carrying a low balance helps to generate a FICO score. Not a high balance, and certainly not a maximum balance, as those indicate that the risk threshold is too high, but a low balance. It shows the ability to service a card and repay it.

You can build a credit record without balances, but it takes longer. Paying off cards keeps your balances too low, which means that you aren't generating much of a history.

This does not mean that you should go into hock and indulge in credit madness, but it helps to know that carrying small balances for short periods will help your FICO. With the tight credit markets that we have now, it is important to take this into account.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 7:17 am
Not here much

I understand your point, and I am disagreeing with it.

If the OP pays the bill in full, and proceeds to carry the card with no subsequent activity, that card is doing nothing to improve her FICO score. You need usage and repayments to get a FICO score.

Carrying a low balance helps to generate a FICO score. Not a high balance, and certainly not a maximum balance, as those indicate that the risk threshold is too high, but a low balance. It shows the ability to service a card and repay it.

You can build a credit record without balances, but it takes longer. Paying off cards keeps your balances too low, which means that you aren't generating much of a history.

This does not mean that you should go into hock and indulge in credit madness, but it helps to know that carrying small balances for short periods will help your FICO. With the tight credit markets that we have now, it is important to take this into account.
I see your point although I doubt clarissageo will have any problem going to Macy's once a month and buying something new rather than paying extra for something she already got.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.