Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

WTF.... I just got credit!

Wikiposts

WTF.... I just got credit!

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:32 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default WTF.... I just got credit!

Sooooo... I arrived here on my CR1 Visa on Sunday 14th, along with my little monkeys who are on the CR2.

I ticked the box on the DS230 at the embassy to ask for my social security number to be sent to me, and was very very very excited this afternoon when it arrived in the mail, just one week after my arrival - I was not expecting it to come through until after Christmas, and was actually expecting to have to go down to the Social security office to chase it up.

Anyway... tonight we went to Macy's to get my Christmas present off my mum (new suits for interviews) and at the till they had a good old 20% off if you apply for a card - DH told me to do it, to test drive my new SSN - I was very hesitant, as I didn't want a ding on my report so soon after arriving, and I was convinced that having only had my SSN in my hand for 8 hours, with nothing connected to it at all, that it would get declined and then I would start to screw up my score before I'd even really got started.

But - it got approved......... I was stunned - I don't know what the credit limit on it is, but the suit was $200 so I know its for at least that - and whatever it is, at least its got me started. It is a little scary though just how easy it was to do.

I've told DH that we need to use the card probably a couple of times a month and pay it straight off to start to show a history, and not to get carried away thinking we are super-credit worthy and applying for anything. So I guess we'll see how long it takes for all the credit junk mail to start arriving!

7 days - 1 social security number - 1 credit account!!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 2:35 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF.... I just got credit!

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Sooooo... I arrived here on my CR1 Visa on Sunday 14th, along with my little monkeys who are on the CR2.

I ticked the box on the DS230 at the embassy to ask for my social security number to be sent to me, and was very very very excited this afternoon when it arrived in the mail, just one week after my arrival - I was not expecting it to come through until after Christmas, and was actually expecting to have to go down to the Social security office to chase it up.

Anyway... tonight we went to Macy's to get my Christmas present off my mum (new suits for interviews) and at the till they had a good old 20% off if you apply for a card - DH told me to do it, to test drive my new SSN - I was very hesitant, as I didn't want a ding on my report so soon after arriving, and I was convinced that having only had my SSN in my hand for 8 hours, with nothing connected to it at all, that it would get declined and then I would start to screw up my score before I'd even really got started.

But - it got approved......... I was stunned - I don't know what the credit limit on it is, but the suit was $200 so I know its for at least that - and whatever it is, at least its got me started. It is a little scary though just how easy it was to do.

I've told DH that we need to use the card probably a couple of times a month and pay it straight off to start to show a history, and not to get carried away thinking we are super-credit worthy and applying for anything. So I guess we'll see how long it takes for all the credit junk mail to start arriving!

holy poop....that was quick!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
holy poop....that was quick!
I got a Macy's Card without even having a SSN..!!! I was only in the country a couple of weeks! I had a bit of trouble a couple of weeks ago - well i thought I did - anyway trying to apply for things, and they couldn't identify me But yesterday I got a new phone contract on my SSN, so maybe its alright after all!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:27 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo

I thought they were supposed to be more careful who they gave credit to these days. Back in 2003/2004, it took me 3 attempts over more than 6 months to get a Macy's card.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:47 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I thought they were supposed to be more careful who they gave credit to these days. Back in 2003/2004, it took me 3 attempts over more than 6 months to get a Macy's card.
Usually, a store card is the easiest of credit to get. When I turned 18 my dad insisted I start building my credit by opening a store card. That was in '83 at a place called McAlpins (now Parisian) with a credit limit of $200.

DH got his first card at Circuit City a couple of months after he got his SSN. His limit was something like $1500. He made a $500 purchase and paid it off within 3 months.

Just pay it off promptly and it will help your credit score. . .maybe get a second one when that is paid off....or be the cosigner on next car loan you and spouse get.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:50 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Usually, a store card is the easiest of credit to get. When I turned 18 my dad insisted I start building my credit by opening a store card. That was in '83 at a place called McAlpins (now Parisian) with a credit limit of $200.

DH got his first card at Circuit City a couple of months after he got his SSN. His limit was something like $1500. He made a $500 purchase and paid it off within 3 months.

Just pay it off promptly and it will help your credit score. . .maybe get a second one when that is paid off....or be the cosigner on next car loan you and spouse get.
It just didn't work for me. Actually, I didn't even get the Macy's card until I was added as a card holder on my (now) wife's card. I tried several times, but it was always rejected.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:32 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

It just didn't work for me. Actually, I didn't even get the Macy's card until I was added as a card holder on my (now) wife's card. I tried several times, but it was always rejected.
But the important thing is now you have one and you can shop 'til you drop.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:35 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
But the important thing is now you have one and you can shop 'til you drop.
I can. However it's been cut back this year. We have a Macy's visa now, and for the last 2 years we had the black card (you get that if you've spent over $2500 in the previous year). This year we have only spent just over $1000 there.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:48 am
Queen of my house

I can. However it's been cut back this year. We have a Macy's visa now, and for the last 2 years we had the black card (you get that if you've spent over $2500 in the previous year). This year we have only spent just over $1000 there.
I don't spend much at Macy's now either....the quality is going downhill. We have a new shop called Von Maur that's supposed to be quite nice (but expensive) that I need to check out. Also, I think they have an interest free credit card for their store.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I got a credit card without a SSN ..beat trhat ...
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:54 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by Ray
I got a credit card without a SSN ..beat trhat ...
Bu that was in the 1940's right?
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bu that was in the 1940's right?
Nearly Nell .... 1998
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:11 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

hubby got a Macys card last week - im pissed off i cant get anything...

If i become a joint cardholder on the macys card will i build credit that way?? I can certainly spend it................
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:17 am
Not here much

Originally Posted by mellybrown
hubby got a Macys card last week - im pissed off i cant get anything...

If i become a joint cardholder on the macys card will i build credit that way?? I can certainly spend it................
My credit was helped when I became an additional cardholder on my wife's cards, but I have a vague recollection that the rules were changed to stop this sort of piggybacking. However, if you were a joint cardholder then that should count.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:32 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I started building my credit with a Sears card and a small loan which my husband cosigned for. I made sure I paid it off on time each month. THen when I went to get my first car loan, I was able to get the credit on my own.

It also helps to have longevity on some cards, so keep the Macy's card for a while! I still have my original Sears card even though I haven't used it for years. I have a great credit score now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.