Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Would like to talk to someone who got married under VWP and adjusted status!

Wikiposts

Would like to talk to someone who got married under VWP and adjusted status!

Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:52 am
Just Joined

robjames1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would like to talk to someone who got married under VWP and adjusted status!

Hi there, I would really like to talk to someone who has had experience in entering the US under the 90 day VWP and then decided to get married and applied for the adjustment of status. I have various questions, such as how long did it take, did you have an problems with it (ie with the process), did you seek legal advice etc? I would love to hea from people who have had experience with this and ideally would love the opportunity to talk with someone either via email or msn or something like that. I really appreciate all your help and look forward to hearing from you soon!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would like to talk to someone who got married under VWP and adjusted status!

Originally Posted by robjames1984
Hi there, I would really like to talk to someone who has had experience in entering the US under the 90 day VWP and then decided to get married and applied for the adjustment of status. I have various questions, such as how long did it take, did you have an problems with it (ie with the process), did you seek legal advice etc? I would love to hea from people who have had experience with this and ideally would love the opportunity to talk with someone either via email or msn or something like that. I really appreciate all your help and look forward to hearing from you soon!
Hi Rob,

Here's your post from when you were asking some questions before: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459426

Did you indeed come to the USA on July 15? Are you in the USA now? Did you already get married? I think I stressed in a few of my posts to you that for someone in your situation, you really need a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney while you're in the USA, so he/she can set you on the correct path.

Just a word of warning, you will receive responses from people who successfully came the the USA, married a USC, and remained to AOS. This is a very grey area and has to do with the intent one has when one enters at the POE. Do a search on this forum for the term "10-foot pole". You really can't compare your case with others...every case is different...just because one person was successful, doesn't mean you will be, and vise versa just because you might have problems doesn't mean someone else will.

I know you clarified that you mean someone who entered under the VWP, and THEN decided to get married and apply for AOS. However, that doesn't mean USCIS won't still question your intent at some point. They may or may not.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Would like to talk to someone who got married under VWP and adjusted status!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Rob,

Here's your post from when you were asking some questions before: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459426

Did you indeed come to the USA on July 15? Are you in the USA now? Did you already get married? I think I stressed in a few of my posts to you that for someone in your situation, you really need a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney while you're in the USA, so he/she can set you on the correct path.

Just a word of warning, you will receive responses from people who successfully came the the USA, married a USC, and remained to AOS. This is a very grey area and has to do with the intent one has when one enters at the POE. Do a search on this forum for the term "10-foot pole". You really can't compare your case with others...every case is different...just because one person was successful, doesn't mean you will be, and vise versa just because you might have problems doesn't mean someone else will.

I know you clarified that you mean someone who entered under the VWP, and THEN decided to get married and apply for AOS. However, that doesn't mean USCIS won't still question your intent at some point. They may or may not.

Best Wishes,
Rene

thanks for your reply Rene. I understand that every case is different and that someone else's case may be completely different to mine. The purpose of the post was to get in touch with people who have been in a similar situation and have been through a similar experience thats all. I am interested to hear what kind of troubles or successes people have had in the past. Its quite an uncertain time right now and wanted to know what sort of things, if any, I can expect. Thanks for your help!

Rob

Last edited by robjames1984; Jul 18th 2007 at 5:49 am.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:52 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently in the US and have arranged an appointment to meet with an attorney. The purpose of the post was to get in touch with people who have been in a similar situation and have been through a similar experience thats all.
If you're looking for someone with a similar experience, then you should be asking to talk to people who came to the States on the VWP and HAD the intent to marry and adjust beforehand. You've already expressed intent when you discussed this as an option a month ago. You can't unring a bell.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:51 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
If you're looking for someone with a similar experience, then you should be asking to talk to people who came to the States on the VWP and HAD the intent to marry and adjust beforehand. You've already expressed intent when you discussed this as an option a month ago. You can't unring a bell.

~ Jenney
He's prolly just asking for a friend now, Jenney...
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nettlebed
He's prolly just asking for a friend now, Jenney...
thanks nettlebed, i was. don't know what some people's problem is....
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

thanks nettlebed, i was. don't know what some people's problem is....
The problem is that no one here will tell you that it's okay to do something that is rife with issues and could, if you get caught, end up with you in serious shit. That doesn't help any of us, and only confirms USCIS' position that people are trying to bypass the established channels of immigration to suit themselves. So what does USCIS do? They clamp down on those who are already doing things via the established process. Now, will this happen if you alone do something stupid? Probably not... but if you multiply that by the countless scores who believe that bypassing established processes is the way to go... well... thanks so much for your help! NOT.

Ian
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The problem is that no one here will tell you that it's okay to do something that is rife with issues and could, if you get caught, end up with you in serious shit. That doesn't help any of us, and only confirms USCIS' position that people are trying to bypass the established channels of immigration to suit themselves. So what does USCIS do? They clamp down on those who are already doing things via the established process. Now, will this happen if you alone do something stupid? Probably not... but if you multiply that by the countless scores who believe that bypassing established processes is the way to go... well... thanks so much for your help! NOT.

Ian
Have you got any evidence for this, Ian? If the bureaucrats think you're taking the piss, they certainly do seem able to close the door. L1s for what are in reality small business vehicles to grab a green card seem to be a recent example of it all hitting the fan at renewal time.

But not seen any movement on putting the shutters up for the VWP -> AOS route. Not to say it won't happen one day. Just that they don't seem bothered at the moment.

And I don't think we can really hold individuals responsible for the unpredictable whims of State and the infamous DHS. They're just trying to get through their day best they can like the rest of us. Placing such a responsibility on their shoulders is unfair.