Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Worrying too much for my friend?

Wikiposts

Worrying too much for my friend?

Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Letmi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worrying too much for my friend?

Hey all. I've been a long time expats lurker, probably well over a year now. Great resource and has really helped me on my and my fiance's path to being together in the U.S. So, first off, Thanks!

Secondly, I have a friend who just recently decided to get married with the whole Visa Waiver deal to a AUS citizen. Now, I know Facebook isn't exactly as public as MySpace was, but I'm concerned my friend is really putting it out there that the marriage isn't real and genuine.

He calls the photo album of the civil ceremony as "Married-ish", and just recently updated his relationship status to "Engaged to" when I would think it should be "Married to"! There are also a few captions of "Yay, now so-n-so can stay in the US!"

Is he setting himself up for some major problems with the USCIS or what? Or am I just freaking out because I feel like he played the waiver as a sham and got his woman first before I've been patiently waiting for my man!?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worrying too much for my friend?

So your friend is a USC, who married an Australian citizen who was here on the VWP, right?

I'd say their immigration is their own business, and you don't need to worry about it. You have the confidence in knowing you did things the right way, so nothing for you to worry about.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You also didn't do him any favors by posting his messages on yet another public forum that USCIS might read. So if you are concerned that he will get caught, this wasn't a good idea for you to post it. On the other hand, if you're secretly hoping he'll get caught, this was a way to get the info out there further on the net.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 15th 2008 at 11:17 am.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:19 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Delete tbh.

kthnxbye
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You also didn't do him any favors by posting his messages on yet another public forum that USCIS might read. So if you are concerned that he will get caught, this wasn't a good idea for you to post it. On the other hand, if you're secretly hoping he'll get caught, this was a way to get the info out there further on the net.

Rene
lol, where is Rene and how did you log into her account?!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

She's grown with the years ;-)
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Rete
She's grown with the years ;-)
Oops, I don't usually show my deviousness. LOL
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

I dont think posting on here with zero personal information about my friend is going to get him in trouble. Does anyone here know if the USCIS actually goes fishing into peoples Facebooks and MySpaces? How about some real experiences?

I guess if they want to go through my IP address and then go through MY facebook and click on all my friends and find out what THEY are doing, then I guess yeah, he'll be found. But if they wanted to do all that, then he would be found in the first place.

I guess you guys are more afraid than I am about the government searching for immigration dirt!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Also, has there be any accounts of people posting something here and then they were like "Oh no! I posted this here and then the gov't found me out!"

I'm guessing no.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Letmi
Also, has there be any accounts of people posting something here and then they were like "Oh no! I posted this here and then the gov't found me out!"

I'm guessing no.
We have heard that USCIS does read these kinds of forums. Not sure if they read others like Facebook, etc. I personally have not heard of anyone being "found out" on a forum like this, no. But then again, I don't put anything past USCIS.

I guess your main question was "am I worrying too much about my friend's case", and my answer was "yes".

Rene
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:48 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all. I've been a long time expats lurker, probably well over a year now. Great resource and has really helped me on my and my fiance's path to being together in the U.S. So, first off, Thanks!

Secondly, I have a friend who just recently decided to get married with the whole Visa Waiver deal to a AUS citizen. Now, I know Facebook isn't exactly as public as MySpace was, but I'm concerned my friend is really putting it out there that the marriage isn't real and genuine.

He calls the photo album of the civil ceremony as "Married-ish", and just recently updated his relationship status to "Engaged to" when I would think it should be "Married to"! There are also a few captions of "Yay, now so-n-so can stay in the US!"

Is he setting himself up for some major problems with the USCIS or what? Or am I just freaking out because I feel like he played the waiver as a sham and got his woman first before I've been patiently waiting for my man!?
Sounds like sour grapes on your part to me. Try talking to your "friend" if you are genuinely concerned about him, otherwise get over it.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a search on here under Folinskinla and I believe, MUdall. I believe it was Mr. F that posted about what he discovered at a conference for the AILA and the use of the internet by the DOJ in their search for immigration irregularities.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Sounds like sour grapes on your part to me. Try talking to your "friend" if you are genuinely concerned about him, otherwise get over it.
Don't try to insinuate that its really me I'm talking about. LoL. I just got my NOA2 on the 2nd of september and I'm not stupid enough to do something if I think its not the right thing to do, hence why I wonder if my friend is doing the right thing.

I'm actually concerned that he's screwing himself over by posting things like that. If he's posting it, perhaps he's being more public than he should be elsewhere. But, if people don't think he's doing anything risky, then I won't have to confront him about me thinking he's not treating it like its the real deal.

It'd be like telling your buddy you saw his girl flirting with someone else. They'll get all pissed off, but then later you find out she was just hugging her brother.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But, if people don't think he's doing anything risky, then I won't have to confront him about me thinking he's not treating it like its the real deal.
Personally, I don't think it's any of your concern what he's doing... and I believe Kate nailed it on the head - sour grapes. Whether you're prepared to admit it or not, you're pissed off at him because you followed the rules and he seems to be flaunting them. You want him to follow the rules because that's what you did - hence, your wanting to have a sit-down heart-to-heart.

Bottom line - it's his life, let him live it... for better or worse!

Ian
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

I guess the best answer is that you guys really don't know if his actions will cause him problems later with the government. My real question is just left un-answered. Just leave it to be ignored and go on with my life. You guys have never worried for a friends actions? Or have you all just minded your own business as your advice says?

With that, I haven't much wait left for my K1 to go through, I didn't think people would take the jealousy claim so seriously. But I guess thats what stuck for you guys! I guess you guys have less faith in people genuinely worrying for a friend.

You guys don't kid about around about that 10' Pole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.