Worries about the US Border

Wikiposts

Worries about the US Border

Old Sep 20th 2015, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Nick15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worries about the US Border

Hi guys,

My wife and I are anxious and nervous about reaching the US border and having issues. The way we've had to go about our I-130 probably isn't the most common (or it might be, and we just don't know).

Me - UK citizen, Wife - US citizen, both have been living in the UK for past 6 years. My wife with her ILR (indefinite leave to remain). We are in the middle of the I-130 process. It's current status is approved, just waiting on my LND number next.

My wife has accepted a job in the US. She has a start date of October 12th 2015. We are both finishing our jobs here in the UK on 30th September and we are giving up our rented apartment on 4th October. We will then be flying out on 6 October to the US in to Washington.

My wife has a one way ticket and I have a flexible return ticket (current return date 29th Dec) so that I can come back to complete my medical/interview when required. When I return to London I will be staying with my parents. I'll be travelling on an ESTA to the US just to visit and be with my wife, help her settle down, etc. I am currently looking for work in the US, but it's been difficult to firm anything up as I am unable to tell any employer when I will be eligible to work. So I don't anticipate anything coming up until further down the line.

If we get questioned at the border, should we be concerned about any of the way we've gone about things? I'm sure a lot of it is just pre-move nerves, but if we've done anything wrong, I'd rather know about now.

Thank you for any advice you can give

Nick.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 1:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worries about the US Border

Sounds like a fairly common scenario to me. You shouldn't have any problems that I'm aware of. You can prove you're in the middle of an Immigrant Visa process, but only show proof if specifically asked.

Rene
Old Sep 20th 2015, 1:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds fairly common to me too, and that the CBP officer can see, in the system, that you're "mid-process" for doing things the right way, means you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

I suppose I was most concerned that I'd given up my job and our flat before finishing the process. But I guess that's a non-issue?

The truth is I couldn't afford the flat on my own after my wife leaves it, so I would have had to give it up anyway.

Thank you guys, you've really helped us.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Colorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond repute

I use the automatic gates as much as possible. No questions asked. Smile for the camera, press your fingers on a screen that takes finger prints, touch the screen to answer the usual questions and you're done.

I think people worry unnecessarily about CBP. You've done nothing wrong. What's to worry about?
Old Sep 20th 2015, 7:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colorado calling
I think people worry unnecessarily about CBP. You've done nothing wrong.
I understand what you mean, but even when you've done nothing wrong, CBP can still stop you and grill you! They don't need a reason - especially if you're travelling on the VWP. Anyway... just sayin'.

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2015, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Colorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond reputeColorado calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I understand what you mean, but even when you've done nothing wrong, CBP can still stop you and grill you! They don't need a reason - especially if you're travelling on the VWP. Anyway... just sayin'.

Ian
Indeed they can. But realistically how often does it happen? And when it does, how bad is it? In years of travelling back and forth every 6 weeks or so, I've been questioned beyond the "what's the purpose of your visit?" only once. And even that wasn't a grilling. A few further questions and a glance through my flight confirmation that I had a reservation to go back and I was on my way.

They have every right to question people who are wanting to enter the country and I have no problem with that. In my line of work I deal with people all the time who get themselves all worked up that they are going to be interrogated and searched just because they are wanting to go to Christmas shopping in New York. In 16 years of putting passengers onto planes to the U.S., only one has been turned away. He was French and his passport wasn't machine readable and he should have got a visa but he didn't.

I blame the daily mail for almost all of the paranoia in the UK.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled 'mid vias application' with no problem the CBP knew because he asked how long i'd been waiting, and that it sucked!
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Thank god for you guys!