British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   "Working" Before Receiving EAD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/working-before-receiving-ead-856555/)

db1145 Apr 16th 2015 4:57 pm

"Working" Before Receiving EAD

Hi All,

I will be moving over at the end of next month on my K-1 visa. I will then be getting married to my fiancee, and subsequently applying for my AOS, EAD and AP. Obviously I will be unable to work for any US employer until I receive my EAD.

In the UK, I am the director (and sole employee) of my own software consultancy. One of my clients has expressed an interest in my company (i.e. me) continuing to do some work for them remotely, once I leave.

Would this be legal from a US point of view? If it made a difference, I could avoid having any personal income (salary or dividends) from this work until my EAD arrives.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dan

S Folinsky Apr 16th 2015 5:35 pm

Re: "Working" Before Receiving EAD

Originally Posted by db1145 (Post 11620663)
Hi All,

I will be moving over at the end of next month on my K-1 visa. I will then be getting married to my fiancee, and subsequently applying for my AOS, EAD and AP. Obviously I will be unable to work for any US employer until I receive my EAD.

In the UK, I am the director (and sole employee) of my own software consultancy. One of my clients has expressed an interest in my company (i.e. me) continuing to do some work for them remotely, once I leave.

Would this be legal from a US point of view? If it made a difference, I could avoid having any personal income (salary or dividends) from this work until my EAD arrives.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dan

General comments: The employer sanctions provision of the law is kind of schizophrenic. There are provisions that apply to employers and then provisions that apply to the non-citizen.

First -- what is an "employer?"

Second -- the K-1 is authorized to work pursuant to status. The evidence though is the "EAD" [employment authorization document]. So, can the non-citizen K-1 work for a US employer? Yes. Will the employer be employing an "unauthorized alien" without seeing that EAD? No. Will the employer be in violation of the paperwork requirements? Yes.

Guindalf Apr 16th 2015 6:09 pm

Translation: No, you can't legally work in any capacity until you have the EAD in hand!

Noorah101 Apr 16th 2015 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11620707)
Translation: No, you can't legally work in any capacity until you have the EAD in hand!

This is not true. A K-1 visa holder is work authorized for the first 90 days in the USA. After that, he needs the EAD in hand. If he can find an employer who does not require him to fill out an I-9 during those first 90 days (such as being self employed or working for an overseas employer), he's good to go.

Rene

Guindalf Apr 16th 2015 6:19 pm

Yes, a K-1 holder can, but when he gets married and files AOS, he's no longer a K-1 holder and can't work until EAD is in hand.

Noorah101 Apr 16th 2015 6:24 pm

I believe he is allowed to work the first 90 days in the USA, even if he has filed AOS during that time. He is still considered a K-1 entry.

Rene

ian-mstm Apr 16th 2015 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11620715)
Yes, a K-1 holder can, but when he gets married and files AOS, he's no longer a K-1 holder and can't work until EAD is in hand.

As Rene notes, he can work for the first 90 days. He doesn't cease to be in K-1 status simply because he gets married and files for AOS. Once that 90-day period is up, however, he can't work until he has an EAD.

Ian