Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Woot Woot - Greencard on the way!

Wikiposts

Woot Woot - Greencard on the way!

Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:37 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Woot Woot - Greencard on the way!

Hi all,

Looked in my inbox over the weekend and saw the following email from the USCIS!

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The following is the latest information on your case status

Receipt Number: MSC0**********

Application Type: I485 , Application to Register Permanent Residence or to
Adjust Status

Current Status:

On February 4, 2005, after approving your application, we ordered you a new
card. Your card will be mailed to you as soon as it is ready.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status
results listed above, or if you have not received a decision or advice from
USCIS within the projected processing time frame*, please contact the National
Customer Service Center.

National Customer Service Center (800) 375-5283.

*The projected processing time frame can be found on the receipt notice that you
received from the USCIS.
*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
I'm excited finally this whole process is coming to an end... for the next 2 years at least!

James
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Woot Woot - Greencard on the way!

Hi James

Congratulations to you!!! Did you not have to go for an interview then?

Gisela
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:54 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mcjimbo
Hi all,

I'm excited finally this whole process is coming to an end... for the next 2 years at least!

James
we had our interview same day, I got my green card this day last week , the card is VERY cool

I think the letter you got is sent the same time as the card , so you should have it in the next couple of days.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:31 am
AOS-LA District Office

mc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Woot Woot - Greencard on the way!

Hi all,

James

Congratulations James!!!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:23 am

And another email from the USCIS Sweet!

One question I have is I recieved something in the mail from the army, called "Selective Service". What does "Selective Service" entail, all that I was given was a card with my details saying thank you and keep this card handy?

Receipt Number: MSC**********

Application Type: I485 , Application to Register Permanent Residence or to
Adjust Status

Current Status:

This case has been approved. On February 8, 2005, an approval notice was mailed.
If 14 days have passed and you have not received this notice, you may wish to
verify or update your address. To update your address, please call the National
Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status
results listed above, or if you have not received a decision or advice from
USCIS within the projected processing time frame*, please contact the National
Customer Service Center.

National Customer Service Center (800) 375-5283.

*The projected processing time frame can be found on the receipt notice that you
received from the USCIS.
*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And another email from the USCIS Sweet!

One question I have is I recieved something in the mail from the army, called "Selective Service". What does "Selective Service" entail, all that I was given was a card with my details saying thank you and keep this card handy?

It means that the USCIS did what it says it does ... it registered you for the draft. Welcome to the US Jim. BTW there is no draft at the present time and no plans on Congress re-instating any in the near future. Also note that you need to have been registered with the Selective Service if you took up residency inside of the US before the age of 26. It was your duty to register. This registration is needed for naturalization.

I still find it difficult to believe that young men do not know that if they take up residency in the US before the age of 26 they must be law register. This goes for illegal aliens as well as lawful ones.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:54 am

Rete,

I turn 26 this April. Does that mean when I turn 27 i'm free of the draft, if it becomes reinstated? Thanks in advance.

James
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Rete,

I turn 26 this April. Does that mean when I turn 27 i'm free of the draft, if it becomes reinstated? Thanks in advance.

James
When you turn 26 you are free from the draft.

See http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

NON-CITIZENS
Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service.

Seeing as how you are currently 25, you would be in the last group to be drafted.

Order of sequence is 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 18/19 year olds.

Last edited by sphyrapicus; Feb 10th 2005 at 2:25 am.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

James
CONGRATULATIONS....
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:47 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
It means that the USCIS did what it says it does ... it registered you for the draft. Welcome to the US Jim. BTW there is no draft at the present time and no plans on Congress re-instating any in the near future. Also note that you need to have been registered with the Selective Service if you took up residency inside of the US before the age of 26. It was your duty to register. This registration is needed for naturalization.

I still find it difficult to believe that young men do not know that if they take up residency in the US before the age of 26 they must be law register. This goes for illegal aliens as well as lawful ones.

This was something that even my wife's disabled son had to sign for at the post office, made me feel relieved that I was above the age for registering.
Patrick
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:26 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Can you give us some more info on that Rete?

What if the person came here as a child and leaves before he is sya, 18. In other words does this draft follow them around forever?

Just pooped on this info, my son is 9, maybe I'm overreacting!

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Feb 10th 2005 at 4:31 am.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Can you give us some more info on that Rete?

What if the person came here as a child and leaves before he is sya, 18. In other words does this draft follow them around forever?

Just pooped on this info, my son is 9, maybe I'm overreacting!
The law requires virtually all male U.S. citizens (regardless of where they live), and male immigrants residing in the U.S. (permanent resident aliens), to register within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Therefore, to be in full compliance with the law, a man turning 18 should register during the period of time beginning 30 days before, until 30 days after his 18th birthday...a 60-day window.

http://www.sss.gov/when.htm
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:25 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
The law requires virtually all male U.S. citizens (regardless of where they live), and male immigrants residing in the U.S. (permanent resident aliens), to register within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Therefore, to be in full compliance with the law, a man turning 18 should register during the period of time beginning 30 days before, until 30 days after his 18th birthday...a 60-day window.

http://www.sss.gov/when.htm
Thanks for the info. I just called hubby at work and he's wetting himself laughing at me. But I seriously didn't know. Thanks Rete for pointing it out.

Jeez, first the death penalty now selective service! Ingenious the ways the sate find to dispose of their citizens!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:26 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Hi all,

James
Oh and sorry Jimbo CONGRATULATIONS! That's great news!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:41 am
L D Jones

CaliforniaBride wrote:
    >>The law requires virtually all male U.S. citizens (regardless of where
    >>they live), and male immigrants residing in the U.S. (permanent
    >>resident aliens), to register within 30 days of their 18th birthday.
    >>Therefore, to be in full compliance with the law, a man turning 18
    >>should register during the period of time beginning 30 days before,
    >>until 30 days after his 18th birthday...a 60-day window.
    >>http://www.sss.gov/when.htm
    >
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I just called hubby at work and he's wetting
    > himself laughing at me. But I seriously didn't know. Thanks Rete for
    > pointing it out.
    >
    > Jeez, first the death penalty now selective service! Ingenious the ways
    > the sate find to dispose of their citizens! :D
    >

Wars do that, especially useless ones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.