Wikiposts

WooHoo! N-400 Update

Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default WooHoo! N-400 Update

When I got home from work today, there was a letter from DHS waiting for me. I was fully expecting an RFE to deal with my three speeding tickets (yikes, I know), but that was not the case. Instead, it was an appointment to appear at my citizenship interview on May 5 at 10:30 am in Louisville, KY. The first thing I did was call Sheila and then I called my folks in Toronto to let them know. For those who keep track of timelines, my interview date is just under 5 months from my priority date.

The NoA specifically says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". For those who have already done this I have 2 questions:

1) Is there more than one interview?
2) Are spouses allowed to attend the interview or are they even expected to be there?

Ian (and Sheila)

---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

suiram is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WooHoo! N-400 Update

Originally posted by ian-mstm

Not usually
2) Are spouses allowed to attend the interview or are they even expected to be there?
NO and NO
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

jgbreton is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For those who have already done this I have 2 questions:

Ian (and Sheila)
1. Not if you pass the tests and if no other documentation is required.

2. No they will not be seen or interviewed. They can come for moral support.

You can read actual N-400 interview experiences at:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

Rete
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:07 am
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

When I got home from work today, there was a letter from DHS waiting for me. I was fully expecting an RFE to deal with my three speeding tickets (yikes, I know), but that was not the case. Instead, it was an appointment to appear at my citizenship interview on May 5 at 10:30 am in Louisville, KY. The first thing I did was call Sheila and then I called my folks in Toronto to let them know. For those who keep track of timelines, my interview date is just under 5 months from my priority date.

The NoA specifically says "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". For those who have already done this I have 2 questions:

Ian (and Sheila)

Timeline:

Ian-

So you didn't include any information about the speeding tickets? How did you answer the question on the application?

Our app is going in 2 weeks from today! And we have one speeding ticket and one running a stop sign.

Kimberly
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by imkimmy
Ian-

So you didn't include any information about the speeding tickets? How did you answer the question on the application?

Our app is going in 2 weeks from today! And we have one speeding ticket and one running a stop sign.

Kimberly
Steve included his as a speeding ticket is a citation ......but it didn't cause him any problems. He also along with his application and other proof....sent his Ohio BMV driving record which showed the citation as only a speeding ticket.

Lisa
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian (and Sheila)

Timeline:

No....Steve asked when he was called back if I was allowed to come along and the interviewer stated "NO!". (Steve also told him I was the one that handled all the immigration information and was hoping he could find everything the fellow asked for in our file.....the interviewer said to him "Well you better be able to find it without her!".....lol

Lisa
Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Kimberly,

In fact, I did mention the tickets on the application form. I indicated 3 "speeding citations" along with the places and dates each took place and that I paid a fine for each. I also included a copy of my Kentucky DMV record which I was able to purchase online for $4.50. Fortunately, my DMV record indicated that I had no points, so that was good for me. Each ticket was in a different state - Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia (I live where the 3 states meet). As far as I can tell from the DMV, Kentucky does not track out-of-state speeding violations and the violation in Kentucky was over 4 years old and had already been dropped from the official record! Of course, your mileage may vary!

Best wishes,
Ian (and Sheila)

Timeline:

Originally posted by imkimmy
Ian-

Kimberly
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:38 am
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Kimberly,

In fact, I did mention the tickets on the application form. I indicated 3 "speeding citations" along with the places and dates each took place and that I paid a fine for each. I also included a copy of my Kentucky DMV record which I was able to purchase online for $4.50. Fortunately, my DMV record indicated that I had no points, so that was good for me. Each ticket was in a different state - Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia (I live where the 3 states meet). As far as I can tell from the DMV, Kentucky does not track out-of-state speeding violations and the violation in Kentucky was over 4 years old and had already been dropped from the official record! Of course, your mileage may vary!

Best wishes,
Ian (and Sheila)

Timeline:

Thanks for the information Ian. We are in the same kind of perdiciment...one in town ticket and one state ticket, so we wer in the same state, but different courts!

Kimberly
Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Chri is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]
Congratulations!
I assumed that the US spouse would have to be there if the N400 is after 3 years of residence based on marriage. I don't rememebr reading anywhere, it was just an assumption. I guess I was wrong.
I haven't heard of anyone being called back for a second interview, but I don't know that many people that went through this. Maybe they consider the second interview the brief one before the oath - where they confirm and update your personal information?