Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

withdrawl of sponsorship possible?

Wikiposts

withdrawl of sponsorship possible?

Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:42 pm
someone

Default withdrawl of sponsorship possible?

my question is is there a way to remove yourself from sponsorship after a residency card has been issued? once residency was issued to my spouse, she tossed me out the window with only her greencard being the primary factor to our marriage... i am totally heartbroken to the series of events that followed after receipt of her card. can i nullify my sponsorship and get her deported?

Old Feb 1st 2006, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future
Default Re: withdrawl of sponsorship possible?

As I know , You are her sponsor till she becomes a US citizen .

Unfortunately some people are sick enough to use the others for green card and they forget the humanity and the feelings of the others.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I really dont understand this mentality. You agreed to something. Just because you dont want to do it anymore (for whatever reason) is not grounds to get out of it. You signed an affidavit of support. If you didnt know the repercussions when you signed it, that's your own problem
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 12:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by someone
can i nullify my sponsorship and get her deported?
You're in deep shit, my friend. You are financially responsible for her until one of the following happens: 1) she leaves the US permanently; 2) she dies (this should not be considered a goal); 3) she earns 40 qualifying work credits; 4) she becomes a US citizen. If she does none of these things - and it's a very easy thing not to do - you're going to be on the financial hook for a very long time! Since she has her GC, you can not get her deported! If her GC has conditions, then divorce actually helps her... something to consider!

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're in deep shit, my friend. You are financially responsible for her until one of the following happens: 1) she leaves the US permanently; 2) she dies (this should not be considered a goal); 3) she earns 40 qualifying work credits; 4) she becomes a US citizen. If she does none of these things - and it's a very easy thing not to do - you're going to be on the financial hook for a very long time! Since she has her GC, you can not get her deported! If her GC has conditions, then divorce actually helps her... something to consider!

Ian

Ian, Actually true but untrue. The financial burden can be limited to means tested benefits received unless the PR has a darn good divorce attorney and can file for spousal support at the rate of 125% of the poverty guidelines and/or the difference between their income and the 125% mark. If the PR is working that is unlikely, especially if there are no children involved.

Andrea: It is easy to sit on the sidelines when your life is going great and your marriage is working to not understand where someone like the OP is coming from. It isn't that they didn't realize the ramifications of their execution of the I-864 but rather that they willing executed the document and would have been glad to honor it if the person they sponsored had entered into the marriage in love and honor and with the thought that they would endure for eternity.

I can imagine how very difficult it is to live with the fact that your marriage was a sham, at least on one side, you were used and discard after you fulfilled your purpose, your judgment has been proven to be valueless, you were duped and fell for it hook, line and sinker and you are left empty and sometimes financially broken by this sham of a marriage that you entered into in good faith.

Yes, it is their problem and they will live with it perhaps for the rest of their lives. Jumping on their back with caustic attitude can only add to the emotional pain they are feeling.

Soap Box Put Away!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

Beyond the divorce settlement, if the alien tries but is unable to generate an income that is 125% of the poverty level they can sue the sponsor to recover the difference between what they achieved and 125% of poverty level. It's been done, successfully. (Possibly has been tried and failed, also. Would be very situation-specific, I would think.)

Something to think about for those sponsors who are genuinely at or near the 125% mark for a family of two. If worse comes to worst, and the sponsor does have to provide as much as 125% of the poverty level for one to the alien in one way or another, that doesn't leave much for the sponsor to live on.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Ian, Actually true but untrue. The financial burden can be limited to means tested benefits received unless the PR has a darn good divorce attorney and can file for spousal support at the rate of 125% of the poverty guidelines and/or the difference between their income and the 125% mark. If the PR is working that is unlikely, especially if there are no children involved.