Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Will they return original documents?

Wikiposts

Will they return original documents?

Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:54 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will they return original documents?

When my UK partner sends his paperwork in for his K1 visa, will they return his original birth certificate to us and all of the other original/certified copies of documents (divorce decrees, etc.)?

Thanks.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 11:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will they return original documents?

Originally posted by DDL
When my UK partner sends his paperwork in for his K1 visa, will they return his original birth certificate to us and all of the other original/certified copies of documents (divorce decrees, etc.)?

Thanks.

No. It said right in the instructions not to send originals they will not be returned.

You might have a chance to get the Conoff to exchange them for copies during the interview. But it is only a slim chance.

Rete
Old Apr 27th 2004, 11:17 pm
robert jcarlson

Originally posted by DDL

Thanks.

They returned all of our documents when I requested it.

Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robert jcarlson
They returned ours as well. However, that was 1998. The 'new' I-129F clearly states not to send originals, they will not be returned. It also clearly states that copies are permissible.

Rete
Old Apr 28th 2004, 1:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robert jcarlson
Nobody whats to keep anything of yours Dave
Old May 29th 2004, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Just curious....

In this afternoon's mail was a piece of paper saying that CSC was returning my birth certicate. I had send them a certified copy so I wasn't expecting it back as Rete stated in a previous post.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Melody

Originally posted by Rete
They returned ours as well. However, that was 1998. The 'new' I-129F clearly states not to send originals, they will not be returned. It also clearly states that copies are permissible.

Rete
Old May 30th 2004, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

mrseze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DDL

Thanks.
You may have your original documents returned to you by filing Form G-884 to the office where you submitted your documents. Form G-884 is only available by mail. Please go the USCIS.gov website. Click on 'FAQ' and you will find the question, "How do I get my original documents back?"

Hope this helps you.
Old May 30th 2004, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DDL

Thanks.
Hi:

The general rule is that they will accept copies -- but want to see the orginal doucments at time of interview for comparison sake.

If you do give orginals, there is a procedure for getting them back. However, its best not to leave the orginals in their custody in the first place.

There are times when the government people will demand the original for purposes of "forensics" -- if the document is found to be false or misleading in some way, it will then often be kept as evidence and you do NOT get it back.
Old May 30th 2004, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Thank you mrseze & Folinskyinla for both of your responses.

Although I wasn't asking to have anything returned, maybe someone else will see this and it'll help them.

I was trying to ask if anyone have had items returned to them _without_ having to ask.

In my petition I had submitted a certified copy of my birth certificate. My original 30 year + old copy had long faded past readable. When I ordered the certified copy for myself, I requested a second and sent the second to CSC. I had no intention of asking for it back because it was a copy.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll just file it away with everything else and if they want it back, it'll be here for them.

Melody
Old May 31st 2004, 6:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by melody32
I was trying to ask if anyone have had items returned to them _without_ having to ask.

Melody,
The (then) INS folk in Athens returned our original marriage certificate, by regular mail, to our address in the US. I was pleasantly surprised at the time.