Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Will I get my social security number ok?

Will I get my social security number ok?

Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I get my social security number ok?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well you could always try going back to the same SSA office if you're up for an argument - use the words I used above "My visa expired on entry - it was a single use visa. I am an LPR, I have a right to a SSN, I have a legal right to work, and my employer needs me to have an SSN."

You could also try threatening them with your local congressman (representative or even senator - get the name ahead of going), as they are known to intervene in idiotic cases Iike this.
I'd love to do that, but I'm not the type.
I'm a typical Brit, run me over and I'll be saying " it's fine it's only a scratch ". 😄
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And if you encounter the same type of clerk that we encountered, you will be told that if you uttered one more word you would be forcibly removed and the police called.

Since you are not staying in the US but leaving shortly, then just wait for the green card to arrive (assuming you have given a safe address for its receipt) and then go for your social security card when you return and have it in hand.
Yeah, they have 2 or 3 serious looking security guards in there, just waiting for an excuse. 😄
I'll take my chances when we've regrouped and come back over for good.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie P
I'd love to do that, but I'm not the type.
I'm a typical Brit, run me over and I'll be saying " it's fine it's only a scratch ". 😄
You are quite unlike many of the Brits who frequent these forums
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the idiot in the SS office is confused over it taking up to 10/14 days after you arrive at the POE before you appear on the SS system. Originally I went in a couple of days after I arrived and was told I wasn't on the system yet and to come back after the 14 days had expired.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
I wonder if the idiot in the SS office is confused over it taking up to 10/14 days after you arrive at the POE before you appear on the SS system. Originally I went in a couple of days after I arrived and was told I wasn't on the system yet and to come back after the 14 days had expired.
Ahh you could well be right. That makes a lot more sense.
I'll take my chances when I return, which will be after 14 days so hopefully that might clear things up.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

My wife just dug a load of info up on the USCIS website. It says it recommends to wait at least 10 days after entry to apply for an SS number, to give time for you to appear on the system.
If only people in the SS offices could understand this, the whole situation could have been avoided.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski pretty much hit the nail on the head. If half the idiots that work at these places (SS/DMV etc) understood the things their job requires them to, then things would be a lot smoother than they are!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevie P
My wife just dug a load of info up on the USCIS website. It says it recommends to wait at least 10 days after entry to apply for an SS number, to give time for you to appear on the system. ....
I know it says that, but I am sceptical that that it actually the case. People who go sooner than the 10-14 days commonly report that they were able to apply only 2-3 days after arrival.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I know it says that, but I am sceptical that that it actually the case. People who go sooner than the 10-14 days commonly report that they were able to apply only 2-3 days after arrival.
I certainly didn't wait 10 days. I arrived on the Sunday night, opened a bank account Monday morning and applied for my SSN on the Wednesday and it in hand around 10-14 days later.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I don't doubt that in most cases it is quicker than they say. But you have to wonder in the OPs case if the person he dealt with even bothered to look and see if he was on the system. Just had something about 14 days in his head and fobbed the OP off.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

I don't doubt that in most cases it is quicker than they say. But you have to wonder in the OPs case if the person he dealt with even bothered to look and see if he was on the system. Just had something about 14 days in his head and fobbed the OP off.
Well the person we spoke too today at the SS dept went and spoke to her supervisor about the issue, her supervisor stood speaking to her but didn't actually come over to her desk and check out her computer etc.
And all we got in response was "it says on the screen, blah blah blah 14 days".
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Do you think you'll be able to try another office? They shouldn't be that far and few between but obviously I don't know where you live. There are quite a few dotted around here.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BenK91
Do you think you'll be able to try another office? They shouldn't be that far and few between but obviously I don't know where you live. There are quite a few dotted around here.
Memphis has 3 different offices but I don’t have time, I fly back out on Friday.
I’m reliant on family to drive me around and though they’d help me without a thought, it’s just not feasible. Due to their own commitments.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Just thought I'd give an update on my original post(s) here.
I'm now in the US permanently, both my green card and SS card were sent to my US address within a a week or so of me activating my IR 1 visa.
Hi Ian you were right, I should have waited 14 days before contacting the SS as regards to where my card was, rather going to get it within a few days of activating my visa, both my green card and SS card were sent to my US address within a a week or so of me activating my IR 1 visa. I collected them upon my permanent return to the states. Obviously if I'd been told this I would have known to wait, oh well it's all good now, but hopefully this might help someone else, as apparently this is a common occurrence.