Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Wiki Entry: Immigrant Visa Arrival

Wikiposts

Wiki Entry: Immigrant Visa Arrival

Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wiki Entry: Immigrant Visa Arrival

I know we have a forum to discuss wiki stuff, but since you're all here...

I have rewritten my guide to the arrival procedure for Immigrant Visa holders.
I'm quite pleased with myself for figuring out the wiki how tos.. thank you fatbrit and BritishGuy36.

Immigrant Visa Arrival

This topic could be useful for answering posts like this.
Please let me know what could be added or changed!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wiki Entry: Immigrant Visa Arrival

Looks good Mo.

Under the 'Arrival' section, you put:

"You will have an additional step two years after arrival and MUST file form I-751."

I'd adjust that to indicate that the form must be filed before 2 years is up.

'Welcome to America'

Also, it might be worth mentioning that it's the law that one carries one's GC everywhere.....in other words till the actual card arrives strictly speaking you should have your passport with you (complete with endorsed visa).

I didn't want to barge in and start changing stuff, up to you if you want to amend either of those things.

I haven't forgotten about the other wiki (visa comparison), but the holidays snook up on me - will get back to that next week.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to ask (another of my dumb) questions, so I guess if I add it here it may help.

When son and I go how much time should we allow? ie. Will they do us one at a time therefore double it, or together making it just a little longer?

I guess if you're a family of say 4 you may be wondering how much extra time to leave?

Hope it helps.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BG, your 2 items did cross my mind.. re: the I-751, rather than make this particular page overly comprehensive (and therefore ignored) I decided to word it that way.
However, it needs to be linked to a guide or further instruction for the I-751 where all the variations on when and how to file are discussed.

edit: added the text as follows with a link to this forum.
There is currently no BritishExpats Wiki entry on the I-751/Removing Conditions. There are some specifics to filing this application, so please visit the Marriage Based Visas forum here for more information, and to make sure you file this petition at the correct time.

And the part about carrying the documentation, I think I agree now. I'll add that in.

traceym: That's a good question, and I don't have a pat answer. You'd all be admitted together (esp if a parent is answering the questions for the child) and I don't *think* it would be 15 mins X # of immigrants, but I'll pm the last herd I know of to come through and see what she remembers.
You can update us soon!

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 28th 2009 at 5:33 am.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:13 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Mo - there is something which is correct but also could mislead people.

You say the arrival procedure takes 15 minutes which it does. But there could be a wait until it is your turn to be processed. Some waited an hour or more for that. My total time in secondary at PDX was 30 minutes because all the officers were covering primary and the guy who eventually processed me didn't come in until the main hall was cleared.

I mentioned it because the 15 minutes gives a false impression of the time which might be involved and I think people who have connecting flights need a guide as to how much time to leave for the connection. The 15 minutes might mislead them into not allow enough extra time over a "normal" connection.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:24 am

mm.. I see now that the previous sentance gets lost. That's what I get for trying to change what was perfectly good to start with.
I'll have a look at that later on.. or feel free to write a suggested change??
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:17 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

How about:-

Your admission procedure will only take about 15 minutes and will involve a couple of questions, your fingerprints and a photograph. However while this procedure only takes 15 minutes you could be delayed longer in Secondary depending on how many people are waiting in front of you. If booking an onward connecting flight allowing an extra 60-90 minutes should cover most eventualities.