Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

wife + cosponsor sign I864: must husband also sign?

Wikiposts

wife + cosponsor sign I864: must husband also sign?

Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:41 pm
MW Man

Default wife + cosponsor sign I864: must husband also sign?

My wife is the petitioner: she wants to bring her two brothers and
their wives from China into USA. NVS already asked for the I864, AOS.

She is retired. Her income is not sufficient and therefore she will
use a joint sponsor. Together, their two incomes meet the INS income
requirements.

I am retired, with no income.

1. Am I allowed not to sign the I864A ?

2. If my wife and her joint sponsor sign the I864, will this make me
financially responsible for claims against her brothers? We live in
California.

Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wife + cosponsor sign I864: must husband also sign?

Originally Posted by MW Man
1. Am I allowed not to sign the I864A ?
If your income is NOT used, you do NOT fill out an I-864A.

2. If my wife and her joint sponsor sign the I864, will this make me
financially responsible for claims against her brothers? We live in
California.
As we have pointed out before, only a family lawyer would be able to give you a good answer on this one. It depends on whether the estate is held responsible for a sponsor's responsibilities if the sponsor should die. Ask a family lawyer on this one.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MW Man
She is retired. Her income is not sufficient and therefore she will
use a joint sponsor. Together, their two incomes meet the INS income
requirements.
This isn't how it works. Your wife and the joint sponsor do not use their *combined* income to come up with the amount needed. If your wife doesn't qualify on her own, she needs a joint sponsor, correct. The joint sponsor must earn enough *on his own* to sponsor a household size of his own family plus 2 immigrants.

So for example, if the joint sponsor has himself, a wife, and a child, plus the 2 immigrant brothers of your wife, that's a household of 5. Check the financial requirements for a household of 5, and that's the amount the joint sponsor needs to earn.

Your wife's income does NOT count on the joint sponsor's I-864.

Rene
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:20 pm

On second thought....I wonder if that is FOUR immigrants, since each brother is bringing a wife? Anyone know for sure? I'm thinking it's 4, since that's the number of people coming over.

In that case, make that scenario above, a household of 7. himself, his wife, his child, and 4 immigrants.

Rene