Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Why the hell do Brits immigrate to other countries?

Why the hell do Brits immigrate to other countries?

Old Nov 1st 2002, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

zico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why the hell do Brits immigrate to other countries?

Isn't Britain supposed to be a developed, prosperous nation? Or is the island getting too crowded? It's funny because people still immigrate to Britain, and the Brits are emigrating out of Britain....this is some weird shit that needs explanation.

Last edited by zico; Nov 1st 2002 at 12:47 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 2:10 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why the hell do Brits immigrate to other countries?

Originally posted by zico
Isn't Britain supposed to be a developed, prosperous nation? Or is the island getting too crowded? It's funny because people still immigrate to Britain, and the Brits are emigrating out of Britain....this is some weird shit that needs explanation.
It's very much developed, but people move for much the same reason that some Americans may leave the US. Higher paid jobs, career promotions, relationships, better weather.

There is also a massive influx of ethnic minorities getting into the country, most illegally via the channel tunnel, which is putting a strain on the social services (as these people then get housing / benefits, etc). These even illegal immigrants can 'jump' the waiting lists for council housing (many councils prioritise housing newcomer immigrants over those who have been on waiting lists for years), and get free furniture and food stamps.
Plus the 'traditional' british way of life is being shunned incase it upsets or offends the new influx coming into the country. Thats why you dont see many Union Jack flags in the UK, compared to all the US flags in America.
The police are as bent as a magicians spoon and crime is out of control. A man can be imprisoned for defending himself.
It's a nice country, but it's starting to smell funny.

Last edited by nathan barley; Nov 1st 2002 at 7:20 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 3:19 pm
The Dogs bollox

southcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Its weird is it not!
Anyone can walk into Britain, gain a house benefits, unemploment cheque etc, but when we Brits move elsewhere its a barrage of paperwork and hassles, Never did I dream of all the complications that I have had to occur moving to the U.S.
Firstly you have the AOS paperwork nightmare, then find a decent job, If you get laid off, there is no chance of claiming the dole, You have to build up credit, get a state driving license, get a SS#, get ripped off when buying a car (Public transport sucks), pay out-rageous amounts of money for medical/dental insurance and watch endless repeats of black adder.......

Ah well at least the weather is nice....and you can get a nice steak & chips (sorry fries).
Old Nov 1st 2002, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

idiotnonsavant is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is on a case by case basis.

For me I was one of the best paid engineers in the UK, so I had a fair idea it would be easy to get a job here. I was in a bad relationship, when I found it was making the rest of my family unhappy too I fired off my CV to some agencies and treated it like pulling the handle on an ejector seat. It worked.

I actually like having seasons, I also used to keep horses, so in some ways coming to the SF Bay Area was unfortunate. The rents are huge, the traffic is bad, I have a passing chance of being killed in a huge earthquake.

But then why did the BBC recently report that 52% of brits want to emmigrate? Yesterday there was a BBC Talking Point discussion on what could be done to attract more tourists. One guy said that what we need is a positive attitude... I wonder what he was smoking.

My hates: Taking more than an hour to drive through Bedford on the A6. Sitting on the M1 for two hours wondering why. Sitting in a train outside Derby for five hours and realizing that every connection to Newcastle has already gone. Paying $80 to fill up. Having two drug dealers shot in the middle of Bedford in a month (after the handgun ban that was going to make everyone safe). Realizing I would never be able to save adequatly for my pension. Paying 100k for a small 3 bedroom house (which the X has). GATSOs. Little blue spy cameras every few miles throughout the entire land (if you think they really don't record the plates then you obviously never worked with the military or intelligence services). Working on another cancelled defence project. Politicians, all of them. School re-orgs. Continuously improving A-level grades and continually decreasing quality of interviewees (someone is telling porkies). Working in the south. Poor treatment of people by the government (notice the Ausssies came and got their folks from Bali, the UK government did nothing). Industries sold down the river by the government, especially in the north (miners, ship builders, heavy engineers... all unnecessary in the service ecconomy... servicing WHAT?). Expensive fuel and no reasonable alternatives.

One third of my last project team emmigrated when the MoD decided to buy a French system instead of a British one. We told them it wouldn't work. Funny thing, a billion pounds later they dumped the French system and went back to a Canadian system that failed all the trials. We passed all the trials. Nothing British that works is good enough for the UK MoD. A couple of projects before that they bought from SAAB instead of Royal Ordnance, again they bought a system that didn't work over one that did. So, I was sick of throwing pearls before swine too.

On the other hand two of my friends from the US have emigrated to the UK. No accounting for taste. If this ever went bad I think I'd move on rather than back. My brother is emmigrating to Canada in a couple of years.
Old Nov 3rd 2002, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a lot of British friends here in San Diego and most of them have left the UK because (a) weather in the UK is awfule, grey, dark and reainy for most of the year (b) they felt opportunties were limited for them in the UK because of the class structure and (c) they have a better quality of life in the USA.

I think it all comes back to the individual. Many of us move looking for better opportunities but then when we get there find it was not what we really wanted.

We just moved from the UK to San Diego and our reasons were (1) weather, the grey skies really got to us (2) the outrageous taxes we were paying in the UK and seeing nothing in return. Everytime Mr Brown couldn't balance his budget because of the increasing number of bogus refugees he would raise taxes/NI contributions. As a self-employed person we were paying 50% of monies earnt on taxes and employer's NI. (3) NHS is appalling. We would rather pay $500 a month for health insurance in the US than have to rely on the NHS for treatment. (4) Lack of space. Not having anywhere to park your car, roads so crowded, M25 is like a car park. Here it is so much eaiser to driver.

I'm not for a moment saying the US is perfect, but at this time if offers us more than the UK can.