Where to start people?

Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

chrissie12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start people?

hey every1

I am a bit confused on a few things here, I'll give u a rough background first off.

I live in N.Ireland, I'm a mature student that is studying @ uni after I finish I have in mind to move to the states with my partner, (I do have relatives living there e.g. Aunt + Uncle.)
I know, they cannot sponsor me because they arent my immediate relatives.

So what are my options here? bear in mind I'm doing an archaeology degree and there arent many archaeology jobs in Minnesota ( I thought it would be better to have a degree in order to move to USA) , however graduates can go right into management graduate programmes that will ensure employment e.g. retail stores, etc. (This I have checked ) I have worked in retail the majority of my life so that would contribute. Also I have a trade in Beauty Therapy. Yep jack of all trades

What type of visa would I be able to go for?
How long would a visa take? 2-3 yrs?
What is the deal with a green card, would my partner and I be able to apply for 1?
Would I have to get married to my partner first prior to applying for a Visa?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start people?

Originally Posted by chrissie12
hey every1

I am a bit confused on a few things here, I'll give u a rough background first off.

I live in N.Ireland, I'm a mature student that is studying @ uni after I finish I have in mind to move to the states with my partner, (I do have relatives living there e.g. Aunt + Uncle.)

So what are my options here? bear in mind I'm doing an archaeology degree and there arent many archaeology jobs in Minnesota ( I thought it would be better to have a degree in order to move to USA) , however graduates can go right into management graduate programmes that will ensure employment e.g. retail stores, etc. (This I have checked ) I have worked in retail the majority of my life so that would contribute. Also I have a trade in Beauty Therapy. Yep jack of all trades

What is the deal with a green card, would my partner and I be able to apply for 1?
This thread is similar to the first thread you opened.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...84#post9035184
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

yea but not many people gave me constructive advice that time, so thats why I have posted it again
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:09 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

hey every1

Your only real option, based on the circumstances you describe, is to get here through your significant other - either as a fiancee or a spouse - K1 and CR1 visas respectively. (I'm also assuming this isn't a same sex partner - the term 'partner' can go either way.)

This site has a lot of information about the process once you've established how you will qualify for a visa (through your SO).

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

ETA I'm not sure if that's 'constructive' enough advice, but neither is asking 'people' where to start. LOL

Last edited by TracyTN; Jan 19th 2011 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

thanks, but he (my partner) is also from N.Ireland. its totally confusing on the visa that you can apply for, if you cant get sponsored by your family or work.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:26 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

thanks, but he (my partner) is also from N.Ireland. its totally confusing on the visa that you can apply for, if you cant get sponsored by your family or work.
Oh, I apologize - I thought you meant your partner is a US citizen.

And yes - your options are basically non existent if you do not qualify through your family or work. Sorry to disappoint you on that. I can't imagine a scenario in which you would qualify for a work visa given what you describe. You'd basically have to find a US employer to sponsor you, which will be a stretch given they can likely find a US employee to do the same job.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

yea but not many people gave me constructive advice that time, so thats why I have posted it again
As I read your previous post I see plenty of constructive advice, probably not the advice you wanted to hear, but nothing has changed.....the answers you'll be given will be the same
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

I know I thought the exact same , but which website (if any) would there be a list of employers that would sponsor me through a work visa,because I have checked online and nothing seems to come up whatsoever.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I know I thought the exact same , but which website (if any) would there be a list of employers that would sponsor me through a work visa,because I have checked online and nothing seems to come up whatsoever.
There is no website that lists employers. There may be some websites that say they can give you a list (H1Base springs to mind) but they are a scam. My OH has a degree and it took us a long time to get a visa for him to be able to work here. Even now we are only here for the duration of our visa which is until 2012. Maybe your best option is to try to find a job in a big company with US offices and try to get a transfer after working in the UK for a while. If either you or your OH are from N. Ireland then you could apply for the Diversity Lottery. At the moment it looks like you're staying where you are.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:43 pm
Instigator of the Post

I know of no website that lists companies willing to shell out for H1b visas. I would assume its not something most companies advertise. Did you not read the 'Pulaski's Ways' wiki as was suggested in the other thread? Or is it more a case of you think if you ask again, the answers will change? I hate to be harsh, but you're just going to have to face the fact that you likely have no way to get yourself a US visa.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:57 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet may be for each of you to apply for the DV lottery (if you were both born on the island of Ireland, north or south) and hope your number comes up!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

but which website (if any) would there be a list of employers that would sponsor me through a work visa
I can sell you a list if you want, I guarantee it will contain at least 10 companies that have sponsored H1-b visas. Not sure why you would want one though because any list would be pointlessly out of date by the time it was compiled.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Every post in there asked you questions that you didn't bother to come back and answer.

It's not KFC, you don't just rock up and place your order for "advice". It's a discussion forum, where, you know, you discuss...
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

hey every1

there is no points system here in the United States. Just having a piece of paper saying you have a degree won't help one iota. You need to find a company that would be willing to sponsor you, then having a degree may be useful (then again, only if it corresponds to the job you are hired for).
As it stands now, barring the DV lottery (which we still have no idea if you are eligible for), you have no way of legally immigrating to the US.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Your best bet may be for each of you to apply for the DV lottery (if you were both born on the island of Ireland, north or south) and hope your number comes up!
I believe only NI is eligible.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.