Wikiposts

Where to start??

Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

George Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud ofGeorge Holmer Kenya has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to start??

Originally Posted by snodgy
Why anyone would want to move back to the Uk I just don't know! It's not a great place at the moment .
If you are a British citizen and hold a Brit passport as well you will have no problem coming back just make sure you have a returning visa so if you come back and find the Uk in a bad way as it us now , you can go back to Denmark
As an EU citizen, you can move back and forth between the UK and Denmark as much as you like. No visas needed.

As for taxes in the UK, trust me they are much worse in Denmark. Even Kenya has higher taxes than the UK. UK taxes are very moderate.

There are certainly bad points about the UK but life is shit and good everywhere.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by George Holmer Kenya
As an EU citizen, you can move back and forth between the UK and Denmark as much as you like. No visas needed.

As for taxes in the UK, trust me they are much worse in Denmark. Even Kenya has higher taxes than the UK. UK taxes are very moderate.

There are certainly bad points about the UK but life is shit and good everywhere.
If the Guy is paying taxes, then how can he moan.?
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:33 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sikaboo
Hi everyone
I have lived in Denmark for nearly 20 years, but really want to move back to the UK. As the title of this thread suggests, I havent a clue where to start.
For example....is it ok to just come back to the UK after so long abroad? I feel like I have so many questions but dont know where to go to find the answers.....
Hello,
We just came back to UK after 18 yrs in USA.

Top line, Yes, it is OK to come back, we essentially just walked in as every other time we have visited, no official approval needed. So thats the easy bit.

For the rest, just start making your list, jotting down everything that comes to mind and that is important to you. Yes, more to it than that but it starts with the first step and........ How to deal with your connections to life in Denmark, house, money, job, family etc.... and then your choice of where you will will live, work etc in UK.

Some deep questions and soul searching for some but hey, you moved to Denmark, just the reverse to come back again.

The gang here can give support and advice if and when you need it.

Best Wishes,
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:39 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Probably for all of the things you take for granted. The only downside to the UK I can see is the constant, unending negativity of the people who live there.

I'm not trying to be mean. I know you probably haven't lived anywhere else but you people don't even know how good you have it.
here hear on the negativity of some UK resident people.
Negativity is a major stumbling block. How to help them to an optimistic outlook and make their lives that much better just by their altering their attitude ? -but that is often the hardest thing of all to do, esp in a society that seems expect that someone else (choose your target, Government, or whoever) will make it better for them without any individual effort.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

snodgy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not negative about this country my personal opinion is the uk is not great at the moment that's all .I think some are a bit too wound up , do you want me to hold your hand
Old Oct 9th 2010, 11:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not negative about this country my personal opinion is the uk is not great at the moment that's all .I think some are a bit too wound up , do you want me to hold your hand
Maybe we should change GB to MB (Mediocre Britain).

It is part of the British psyche to take a gloomy outlook on things and be self-critical, but I think some people (including myself) get a bit "wound up" by posters (especially brand-new members) who seem to come on here intent on only pushing the "Britain is crap" message and refuse to see any positives (and we've had one or two extreme examples of that just recently). That may be why you are getting a bit of flak.

I think most returnees are quite happy to get a realistic, objective picture of the negatives they will face when/if they come back.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

There is good and bad in every country. There are a lot of things I like about living in the US (and things I know I would miss if I left here). There are also a lot of things I miss about the UK and I often think of returning there. Every country has it's problems. There is no Utopia!! I do get tired of listening to the whinging Brits though - it isn't that bad there - you guys don't work as long hours as we do here in the US - you also have more vacation time. Stop complaining!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:51 am
Account Closed

What's vacation ? Have only had 1 holiday in the past 10 years ha ha ha ha
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

What's vacation ? Have only had 1 holiday in the past 10 years ha ha ha ha
I meant vacation time - in other words "time off work". Here you have to work one full year to get a week off. After that, if you're lucky, you get two weeks a year. You would need to be working for the same firm for about 10 -15 years to get any more time off than 2 weeks. I get 3 weeks a year now, but it took me 10 years to get that - I have been with the same company for 11 years, and I consider myself lucky to have a job in this economy.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:06 am
Account Closed

I worked in our family business 7 days a week and also worked as a dj at night ha ha now I'm hoping for a easier life but if that's not possible at least I will be with my fiancee and hopefully a better climate
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:20 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Why anyone would want to move back to the Uk I just don't know!
That's because you live there. Spend enough time away from it and you'd realise it's not that bad.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
That's because you live there. Spend enough time away from it and you'd realise it's not that bad.
So very, very true.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:21 am

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not negative about this country my personal opinion is the uk is not great at the moment that's all
That's an oxymoron if ever I heard one.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Please go soon. Me ? I am aged 80, and cannot wait to return soon. Make more room for those who know, what you will miss when you leave. Don
Good one!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I meant vacation time - in other words "time off work". Here you have to work one full year to get a week off. After that, if you're lucky, you get two weeks a year. You would need to be working for the same firm for about 10 -15 years to get any more time off than 2 weeks. I get 3 weeks a year now, but it took me 10 years to get that - I have been with the same company for 11 years, and I consider myself lucky to have a job in this economy.
Thing is though, if I have read the discussion right, snodgy wants to move to New Zealand, not the US of A. In NZ he or she is going to be looking at 4 weeks statutory minimum employment leave.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Oct 10th 2010 at 6:06 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.