Reload this Page >

where to marry - dont know where we will end up

Wikiposts

where to marry - dont know where we will end up

Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Me the Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where to marry - dont know where we will end up

I am a uk citizen, girlfriend US. She was turned away from britain by immigration as they didnt believe she only intended to stay for one month & lack of funds both not true. She now has to apply for visitors visa in us before coming back does anyone know how long this will take? We also plan to marry in usa if we do this does anyone know how long it will be before she can come to britain? Is usa best place to marry as we dont know where we will end up in the future.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting married in the U.S.

My now-husband (the UK citizen) and I got married in September in the United States. It took two weeks for me to get a UK visa.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to marry - dont know where we will end up

Originally Posted by Me the Brit
... they didnt believe she only intended to stay for one month & lack of funds both not true.
So you say... but not according to the immigration officers!

Is usa best place to marry as we dont know where we will end up in the future.
What's "best" is what works for you... in that respect, "best" is totally subjective. Where do you want to marry? Where do you want to live? If you don't know the answers to these fundamental questions, then no one here can really give you any meaningful answers. How you respond will determine what avenues are available to you.

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:48 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MtB,

I'm not sure I see how these two things are connected. Getting married someplace doesn't mean that one has to live there. And if you did know where you want to end up living it doesn't mean that you have to get married there.

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you US Girl thats what i wanted to know. Did you have any problems?
We tried to do everything the right way & got screwed.

Last edited by meauxna; Mar 6th 2009 at 8:53 am. Reason: removed personal insult from your 2nd post. please mind manners.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Did we have any problems getting the UK visa? Nope. It was incredibly easy and quick.

If you're asking if we had any problems with UK immigration when I would visit, I always got asked a ton of questions, and the immigration people were pretty unfriendly, but I was never denied entry.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How so? If we know what errors have already happened maybe there is a solution.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you US Girl thats what i wanted to know. Did you have any problems?
What did you try to do so far? And which part got messed up?

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking he has a wee chip on his shoulder about the girlfriend getting turned away at immigration.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get married either in the USA or the UK, it really doesn't make any difference. If the USC intends to marry you in the UK, she will need a special visa for that, but it's relatively easy and quick to get. If you intend to marry in the USA, you can come on the VWP and marry her, then return to the UK before your 90-day visit is up. So either way is pretty easy...just a matter of whichever you prefer. If your girlfriend has the proper visa to marry you in the UK, she won't be turned away again.

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

A wee chip? Shut up <<snip>> you have no idea what she was put through we are currently seeking legal advice. Im asking for facts not silly opinions & pathetic comments.

Last edited by Sue; Mar 7th 2009 at 10:02 am. Reason: Insult removed. There is no need for that, please be civil. Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you noorah, so I can go to usa on vwp only, no sort of marraige licence to apply for like uk get married & both come back to uk quite soon do you think?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Shut up you prick...
It's not a good idea to insult the people who might be able to help you. By the way, many of us here *do* know what she's been through, so I suggest you adjust your attitude a bit.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 7th 2009 at 10:09 am.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:59 am
Account Closed

so I can go to usa on vwp only, no sort of marraige licence to apply for like uk get married & both come back to uk quite soon do you think?
You will need a marriage license, but you will *not* need any special visa to enter the US to get married. Getting married on the VWP is perfectly okay. Once married, getting her back to the UK on a spouse visa is relatively easy.

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you noorah, so I can go to usa on vwp only, no sort of marraige licence to apply for like uk get married & both come back to uk quite soon do you think?
You will need to loook into the requirements for a marriage license in the state your g/f lives in. Some states require a blood test, marriage counseling, etc. Your g/f should be able to find this info on the County Clerk's office website for her state. You will not need a visa, but you will need id (i.e. passport) to prove your identity. But confirm what documentation the state may require. Also, before you can apply for the visa to bring your g/f to the UK, you will need the registered marriage certificate from the County Clerk's office. This could take anywhere from like 1 day to 1month, or longer..so you need to look into this as well. Also, when you do get the marriage cert, get more than one copy of it - I'd get like 3-5 of them.

Btw, as Ian said, we know what your g/f was put through at immigration. If the UK's laws are anything like the US, I think your legal investigation will go nowhere. The UK likely has the right to detain and deny entry to anyone they see fit, just like the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.