Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Where did you meet your other half?

Where did you meet your other half?

Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where did you meet your other half?

Originally Posted by Sarah
I had no idea what to do with myself after the internet company I was working for in London went bust (didn't they all)
All my friends from Uni had done the travelling thing and I decided if I was ever going to do it, it had to be now. About 9 months later I got a job for 5 months working as a camp counselor in Pennsylvania. He was on summer break from college and working at the camp to earn money for his next semester. We were mates first, then spent most of the time having a summer romance, after our jobs ended we bought an old van and traveled around the country in it with mates from the camp. I had the time of my life. When my visa ran out I went home absolutely crushed, convinced he didn't really feel the same way. 19 days later he showed up on my doorstep in England. We got hitched 18 months later.
That is the sweetest story. It sounds like it should be in a movie!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf
Posted this elsewhere - but it's a cute story, so (at least in my opinion) worth repeating!

I met my British husband 8.5 years ago at the wedding of my college roommate (also American) and his childhood friend (British). THAT couple had met while she was in the UK visiting a friend who was studying abroad and a group of friends went out to a club. Three years later, she had moved to the UK (to get her masters and spend more time with her soon-to-be husband) - but they had their wedding in the States. That is where I, a single American girl, was conveniently seated between two single British guys. I began chatting with both, but really hit it off with one in particular and spent the rest of the evening and much of the next day/evening with him.

We began emailing regularly - although I thought it was more of a pen-pal type thing (there was attraction, but I figured the distance would make anything impossible). Then 6 months after we met, my mother was suddenly killed in a motorcycle accident and when the cute Brit heard through our mutual friends, he called me. While I was on the phone with him, I realized that for the first time in days, I was smiling - and crying - because I was so happy to hear his voice and the sweet comforting things he was saying! After that, we spoke more often, emailed daily, and he booked a ticket to visit me.

On that first trip, we acknowledged our feelings for each other. Two months later, I flew over to visit him. A week after I returned to the States, he called me up and told me he couldn't wait until we saw each other next (at Christmas) and he had to know if I would marry him. Yes, he proposed over the phone - but the urgency and sweetness made up for it. I accepted, naturally. We spent the next year flying back and forth between the US and UK. Eventually, he came for a long 3 month visit over the holidays. Near the end of his visit, we decided we didn't want to wait another year for our planned wedding and were sick of the back-and-forth long distance thing, so we went to the courthouse and got married! . . . then quickly filed the paperwork to adjust his status and all that jazz before the 90 day window closed. Everything happened so quickly, but we don't regret it a bit!

Exactly one year after our courthouse wedding, we had a big family wedding with all of our friends. At THAT wedding, two of my American girlfriends hit it off with two of his British groomsmen. Both couples have since married! One couple lives a mile down the road from us and the other couple lived in the UK for four years and has recently moved back to the States and now lives across town from us. The original US/UK couple that started it all still lives in the UK, but they plan to move back to the States (same town as the rest of us) in 5 or 6 years.

We all joke that it is a bit incestuous that four American friends married four British friends . . . but it has all worked out so well! Having close friends that share your unique experiences and frustrations is really wonderful and priceless!
What are the chances of something like that happening! An amazing story!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

Originally Posted by act1980
What are the chances of something like that happening! An amazing story!
Actually, several years ago on a different internet forum (maybe UKyankee?), I read about about group of friends, strangely from the same state as me, where 2 American men and 2 American women met and and married 2 British women and 2 British men . . . and like us, half of the group ended up in the UK and half stayed stateside.

When I first read about them, I thought it was "my group" but then I saw that it was more a co-ed mix (all the Americans in my group are women). Still - very strange!