Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Where did you meet your other half?

Where did you meet your other half?

Old May 13th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did you meet your other half?

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Nice story
Old May 13th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Cute
Old May 13th 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Britishbees
Well, I was set up on yet another blind date by my 'mother' through a younger girl she worked with. It was arranged by this girl and her boyfriend who was a Flt Lt in the RAF and he was the Station's 'Supply Officer' - so I guess he 'supplied me' - LOL. OH was also a Flt Lt in the RAF at the time. Anyway, after attending a Garden Party together that was 'it' - we were hardly apart after that. We will have been married 15 years this July and together for 17.
Oi, wife! Now I know your fabled super duper memory is failing - I didn't get promoted to Flight Lieutenant (Flt Lt) until later that year - the Air Force, in its infinite wisdom, decided to test our blossoming romance by posting me a couple of hundred miles away, splitting us up. The sweetener was being promoted a year early - hmm, all that extra money...!!! So off I went, on my lonesome.

I had no qualms - when I first set eyes on Mrs HTS (Britishbees) it was love at first sight - I just knew she was the one. Luckily she was blind to my physical imperfections just enough to say "I will" when I popped the question exactly a year after we met. We had a traditional wedding in a country churchyard, in the middle of July. I had an honour guard - there's something about coming out of a country churchy with your soulmate & new wife on your arm, the sun shining, under an arch of 6 swords, formed by 6 good friends all dressed in their No. 1 uniforms... A very happy day!
Old May 14th 2012, 3:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Other half? I've always been completely whole since birth. Oh you mean my wife, right

OK. We met on the old message board, ICQ in very early 2004. January 2nd if I remember rightly. Anyway, I can't sleep, never could, so it was my insomnia that enabled us to meet in the first place, since that is the only way I could have been up at 1:40 in the morning to respond to her request to chat in the first place. I had got quite insanely pissed on the 31st, as I usually did, so had slept in late on New Year's Day and therefore there'd have been no way I'd have got to sleep before 3 on that night.

There I sat, looking on ebay at a bunch of guitars I'd never in a million years be able to afford when ICQ beeped at me saying someone wanted to talk. I was rather relieved to look at the profile and see it was a normal looking American bird that wanted to connect. Up to that point I had a few online penpals from around the world, a few Brazillians, a Mexican and a Canandian but no Americans and since I was sick of all the Russian women after ILR (no joke ) I responded. I think I sat up past 4 talking to her in the end until I started falling asleep at the keyboard.

Took about four or five months of talking to her on ICQ and later MSN messenger and later on the phone before my mate managed to convince me (he had met his Canadian wife in a similar way) that her planned visit out to see me meant she might, in fact, be sort of into me. After rather a stern dressing down and request from him to 'wise up' I decided, rather pished I'll admit, to find out. Luckily for me, he was right. Turned out she couldn't swing the money for her trip when she'd wanted to, nor the time off work but I was already off on long-term sick leave for reasons I won't go into, so I decided to take a couple of months to go and visit her in Septemer of 2004. That was a bit of a gamble - she had, at the time, a six year old son who was a major variable, and I'd never spend any length of time living with a bird, let alone one I'd not met in person. Luckily, it worked out. Even better was the fact that I got on instantly with her dad, who we went to visit at least once a week; and her mum who lived a few hundred miles away so we only got to see her a couple of times. I stayed until early December because I had my mate's stag do and wedding to go to shortly thereafter but I got to spend Thanksgiving with her.

After that, I decided to pack in the job and go back out (the Monday after my mate's wedding in January 2005) to see her again, this time for the full 90 days. I didn't realise at the time how likely it was that I could have been turned away because I'd already had 71 days in just six weeks prior . Right after I'd left we had got the paperwork together for my K1. I don't know when she sent it though but we got the notification that the I-129 had been received the weekend before I was due to return home again. She then came out to see me in June of 2005, shortly after the petition was approved and then after I did my medical and interview in August, I moved the next month and we got married (or had our civil union depending what state you're in ...) in November.

Heading for our seventh anniversary now and she isn't sick of me yet. That's only a matter of time, though ...
Old May 14th 2012, 5:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Other half? I've always been completely whole since birth. Oh you mean my wife, right

OK. We met on the old message board, ICQ in very early 2004. January 2nd if I remember rightly. Anyway, I can't sleep, never could, so it was my insomnia that enabled us to meet in the first place, since that is the only way I could have been up at 1:40 in the morning to respond to her request to chat in the first place. I had got quite insanely pissed on the 31st, as I usually did, so had slept in late on New Year's Day and therefore there'd have been no way I'd have got to sleep before 3 on that night.

There I sat, looking on ebay at a bunch of guitars I'd never in a million years be able to afford when ICQ beeped at me saying someone wanted to talk. I was rather relieved to look at the profile and see it was a normal looking American bird that wanted to connect. Up to that point I had a few online penpals from around the world, a few Brazillians, a Mexican and a Canandian but no Americans and since I was sick of all the Russian women after ILR (no joke ) I responded. I think I sat up past 4 talking to her in the end until I started falling asleep at the keyboard.

Took about four or five months of talking to her on ICQ and later MSN messenger and later on the phone before my mate managed to convince me (he had met his Canadian wife in a similar way) that her planned visit out to see me meant she might, in fact, be sort of into me. After rather a stern dressing down and request from him to 'wise up' I decided, rather pished I'll admit, to find out. Luckily for me, he was right. Turned out she couldn't swing the money for her trip when she'd wanted to, nor the time off work but I was already off on long-term sick leave for reasons I won't go into, so I decided to take a couple of months to go and visit her in Septemer of 2004. That was a bit of a gamble - she had, at the time, a six year old son who was a major variable, and I'd never spend any length of time living with a bird, let alone one I'd not met in person. Luckily, it worked out. Even better was the fact that I got on instantly with her dad, who we went to visit at least once a week; and her mum who lived a few hundred miles away so we only got to see her a couple of times. I stayed until early December because I had my mate's stag do and wedding to go to shortly thereafter but I got to spend Thanksgiving with her.

After that, I decided to pack in the job and go back out (the Monday after my mate's wedding in January 2005) to see her again, this time for the full 90 days. I didn't realise at the time how likely it was that I could have been turned away because I'd already had 71 days in just six weeks prior . Right after I'd left we had got the paperwork together for my K1. I don't know when she sent it though but we got the notification that the I-129 had been received the weekend before I was due to return home again. She then came out to see me in June of 2005, shortly after the petition was approved and then after I did my medical and interview in August, I moved the next month and we got married (or had our civil union depending what state you're in ...) in November.

Heading for our seventh anniversary now and she isn't sick of me yet. That's only a matter of time, though ...
Jesus Christ - you could have just said 'online'...
Old May 14th 2012, 5:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We met on the night shift in the plastic extrusion moulding factory, on a kibbutz in the Jordan Valley in Israel. Took one look at each other, and decided to sleep together.. as soon as the shift was over (we're both very conscientious workers.) None of those chat rooms or interwebs for us, this was in the old days when men were men etc. It was 1972.. I guess our 40th anniversary is coming up this fall!

She'd flown in from NYC a while before, I'd arrived in Haifa a couple of days before on the good old Appolonia, the tramp steamer that plied the Venice - Piraeus -Haifa route back in those days. I'd been bumming around the South of France and Italy all spring and summer, and decided to go work in a kibbutz for the autumn and winter.

Since then we've spent approximately 25 years living in the US and 15 years in the UK, so I think another stint in the UK is on the cards..
Old May 14th 2012, 7:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Jesus Christ - you could have just said 'online'...
That saves having to type that all out when the inevitable happens and someone replies with 'how' ...
Old May 14th 2012, 8:31 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Britishbees
We will have been married 15 years this July and together for 17.
Congratulations to you and Harry!

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The IRC server is long gone and we've been married 14 years and counting!!
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Online, back in the day when it was very frowned upon, even more so when I told people that I was moving to another country to be a guy that I had met online
I admire your guts. I could never do that. I've never even been on a blind date.

Originally Posted by Sarah
19 days later he showed up on my doorstep in England. We got hitched 18 months later.
That is so romantic.

Originally Posted by HisBetterHalf
Having close friends that share your unique experiences and frustrations is really wonderful and priceless!
Great story.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Great story Rene.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He says it was love at first sight
Awwwww.

Heading for our seventh anniversary now and she isn't sick of me yet.
Contratulations Sultan!

Originally Posted by robin1234
We met on the night shift in the plastic extrusion moulding factory.
Robin, I'm not laughing at you, but where you met was not exactly a romantic place to meet.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:47 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I met my hubby while working in a pub that he used to drink in. We had been chatting for a while and on Leap Day, he had had too much to drink to drive home, so I offered to give him a lift. He didn't tell me he lived an hours drive away. I never went back home, we've been together 16 years now.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I met my hubby while working in a pub that he used to drink in. We had been chatting for a while and on Leap Day, he had had too much to drink to drive home, so I offered to give him a lift. He didn't tell me he lived an hours drive away. I never went back home, we've been together 16 years now.
So your family never bothered to look for you?
Old May 14th 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Great story, congrats.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Oi, wife! Now I know your fabled super duper memory is failing - I didn't get promoted to Flight Lieutenant (Flt Lt) until later that year - the Air Force, in its infinite wisdom, decided to test our blossoming romance by posting me a couple of hundred miles away, splitting us up. The sweetener was being promoted a year early - hmm, all that extra money...!!! So off I went, on my lonesome.

I had no qualms - when I first set eyes on Mrs HTS (Britishbees) it was love at first sight - I just knew she was the one. Luckily she was blind to my physical imperfections just enough to say "I will" when I popped the question exactly a year after we met. We had a traditional wedding in a country churchyard, in the middle of July. I had an honour guard - there's something about coming out of a country churchy with your soulmate & new wife on your arm, the sun shining, under an arch of 6 swords, formed by 6 good friends all dressed in their No. 1 uniforms... A very happy day!
I did that with the ex, except it was the college chapel in VT 3 days after Xmas with plenty of snow. I was praying I wouldn't slip and fall on my keester.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:39 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

They're still looking.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:41 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't live with my family, and you know full well what I mean
Old May 14th 2012, 11:51 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

At uni, in a bar watching the Liverpool Boro game. He offered me a chilli McCoy crisp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.