Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Where did you meet your other half?

Where did you meet your other half?

Old May 15th 2012, 12:25 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where did you meet your other half?

Originally Posted by Weeze
He offered me a chilli McCoy crisp.
That's all it took?
Old May 15th 2012, 12:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Introduced by a mutual acquaintance in London. The mutual acquaintance was my American pen-pal who had relocated from California to London. She rented a room where my future husband, a New Zealander, was already living. On one of my visits I had a friend with me who had agreed to be my friends blind date. (Shouldn't say that as the girl was actually blind from birth, but anyway). I realised I would be the gooseberry if I went to the pub with them. So I saw my future husband sitting in the living room and said, 'do you want to come to the pub ?' OK he said and went and changed from shorts to trousers. I was impressed by this gesture and off all four of us went to the pub. We got on better than the blind daters. We all went back to the house and as we sat on the sofa he asked me to put my feet in his lap so he could stroke them as we talked, I agreed. Again, I was impressed, no bloke had ever asked to do this, ever.

I returned to the house a couple of weeks later as my Californian friend was throwing a birthday dinner for me and agreed to invite my future husband. After the meal we went to a club in London, en route I said I liked his hair, he said he liked my perfume (neither can remember the name of the club or where it was that's how much of an impression it made on us). At the end of the evening we went back to the house, I didn't really want to drive home at that late hour. The rest is history. BTW, we were engaged 3 months later. In June we will have been married for 18 years.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 15th 2012 at 12:36 am.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:40 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
he asked me to put my feet in his lap so he could stroke them as we talked.
Does he still stroke your feet?
Old May 15th 2012, 12:43 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
That's all it took?
I don't like them, but he did offer me a drink.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:44 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he still strokes my feet. It makes me so relaxed he does it to send me to sleep. It's lovely when we're watching t.v. and I've got my feet in his lap with him stroking my feet. Bliss.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:29 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I met my husband online in April 2007. He came to NYC to meet me in May. I went to Scotland in August. We got engaged in September. We applied for a K1 and got married in October 2008.

Re posted from other thread
Old May 15th 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the Army and my DH was in the RAF, met 19 years ago, married 17 years and two kids.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I met my OH in our final year at university - we were in a couple of classes together. We weren't particularly close at uni (which was in the north of England) - didn't really hang out with the same crowd, but I knew he had applied for a job in the town on the South Coast where my sister lived.

Throughout university I had been staying with my sister in the holidays, o when university finished in the summer, I went to stay with my sister again to look for a job in that area. OH & I then bumped into each other again at graduation in the November and swapped numbers since we were going to be in the same town.

He called and we went out for a drink and a few months later got together romantically...

That first meeting was 20 years ago, we've been together for 18 years, have a 14 year old son and have been married for 9 years!
Old May 15th 2012, 11:13 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

We met online in 1994/5. Anyone remember Compuserve? Yeah... it was their fault. Them and US Robotics. Woo... the power of a 14400 modem.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
I was in the Army and my DH was in the RAF, met 19 years ago, married 17 years and two kids.
Congrats.

Curious to know what the occasion was that brought Crab Air and a Pongo together!?
Old May 15th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Online, back in the day when it was very frowned upon, even more so when I told people that I was moving to another country to be a guy that I had met online I know many people had doubts that it would work however we have been 'together' as a couple for 11 years, married 9 years, have 2 kids together... I hope the doubters have a different opinion now
Me too! I know what you mean about the doubters. I corresponded online, chatted on videos etc for about 3 months, flew out and met and married him within 6 weeks. Been together 7 years now.Best thing I ever did.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I was really drunk in St Andrews, Scotland where I was at uni. I had been downing vodkas all afternoon and followed that up with a few pints of Erdinger in town. We then met up with another group which contained my future misses and went to the crappy union bar where there was a sort of nightclub event called 'the bop'. At some point in the night, 'I believe in a thing called love' by the Darkness came on and I was sufficiently hammered to get up and attempt to show the dance floor who was boss. And to cut a long story short, here I am. Such romantic beginnings.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

newtohouston is an unknown quantity at this point

I met my now fiancee in Houston around a year and a half ago whilst on a business trip. A year and a half later, with a visa in hand, I move to Houston on the 24th June 2012 to start our lives together. I cannot wait!
Old May 16th 2012, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

I met my husband at Freshers week at uni. There was a dance/mixer thing going on and he crossed the room to ask me to dance. Not terribly impressive I know, but he did actually ask me before asking and being rejected by the girl standing next to me which was a first for me. That was in 1986. How we ended up married with children and a mortgage and all the accompanying paraphernalia that goes with it all is a mystery really, I don't think I ever intended for any of it to happen.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Congrats.

Curious to know what the occasion was that brought Crab Air and a Pongo together!?
A drunk night out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.