Reload this Page >

when to start the process

when to start the process

Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

billyamberx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when to start the process

Hi everybody.
I am new to this site so please be gentle with me, my wife is a US citizen and I am British citizen and we got married on January 26th 2007 in the US. She joined me here in London in April of the same year, She has a spouse visa, now we were planning on staying here for a few years but now we are thinking we are going to move permanently to the US hopefully in around January to March time 2009.

We have looked at various websites telling us how the process goes but what we are really looking for is anyone who has done it recently that can tell us how it went and how long it took to completion.

Also we would really like to know when to start the process for my visa for a January leaving date, and if we got it before we were ready to move is there a time limit for using it,, oh and also can i keep on travveling on the VWP until the date we leave for good.

many thanks. Billy and Amber.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when to start the process

Originally Posted by billyamberx
Hi everybody.
I am new to this site so please be gentle with me, my wife is a US citizen and I am British citizen and we got married on January 26th 2007 in the US. She joined me here in London in April of the same year, She has a spouse visa, now we were planning on staying here for a few years but now we are thinking we are going to move permanently to the US hopefully in around January to March time 2009.

We have looked at various websites telling us how the process goes but what we are really looking for is anyone who has done it recently that can tell us how it went and how long it took to completion.

Also we would really like to know when to start the process for my visa for a January leaving date, and if we got it before we were ready to move is there a time limit for using it,, oh and also can i keep on travveling on the VWP until the date we leave for good.

Since your USC wife is resident in the UK, she can file the I-130 directly to London and have a quicker path for your immigration. It takes about 4 to 6 months to get your visa in hand, and the visa is good for 6 months. So you can probably start the process in a couple of months, for a travel date of January - March 2009.

Have your wife look at the I-864 Affidavit of Support, see if she qualifies. If you guys don't have income that will continue from the same source in the USA, or if you don't have enough assets to count, she will need to use a joint sponsor. Also make sure her tax returns are up to date.

Check for posts by meauxna, she's got links in her signature pointing to all you'll need to know about DCF (direct consular filing).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can travel on the VWP while waiting for the immigrant visa to process.

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billyamberx
Hi everybody.

Hi:

It is not too early to start. Most posters here are so eager to complete the process as soon as possible that it is overlooked that YOU have power to EXTEND the process out a bit. Whenever the Consulate asks for various things, you have a YEAR to respond. Once the actual visa is issued, it is good for six months.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:
Once the actual visa is issued, it is good for six months.
One additional thing we found our at our IV at the end of Jan is that the date of the medical is also important. The guy who did our interview said that the medical was valid for a year and that we must enter the US and activate our visa within 12 months of the medical date. For us it was a not issue as there was only a week or two difference between the 6 months to enter the US and the 12 months for the medical.

We are trying to sell our house and get ourselves out to the US for real...but have booked a trip in April to "activate" our visa...

Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

We are doing exactly this, there's no downside to starting your I-130 application now, once that is out of the way you can apply for the visa at your leisure, allow 3 months from visa application to visa in hand, then it is valid for 6 months. If you start now then if your circumstances change and you want to go sooner then you have half the process out of the way already if you have I-130 approval in hand.

There is also no problem in you flying to the US, getting your visa stamped then coming straight back the day after to finalise your affairs, finish selling property etc.

Once in the US with the visa you need to avoid long (over 6 months) trips out of the country wherever possible.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Mar 11th 2008 at 9:58 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

It is not too early to start. Most posters here are so eager to complete the process as soon as possible that it is overlooked that YOU have power to EXTEND the process out a bit. Whenever the Consulate asks for various things, you have a YEAR to respond. Once the actual visa is issued, it is good for six months.

I agree, start as soon as possible and you can control the pace of the process.
This is what we did, I'm not sure how long we took exactly but certainly well over a year.
Good Luck
Old Mar 12th 2008, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cruickies
The guy who did our interview said that the medical was valid for a year...
This bit is true...

... and that we must enter the US and activate our visa within 12 months of the medical date.
... and this bit is horseshit! Well... as far as I know!

Ian
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This bit is true...

... and this bit is horseshit! Well... as far as I know!

Ian
Thanks for you opinion, but ...I would not take any chances...
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

One additional thing we found our at our IV at the end of Jan is that the date of the medical is also important. The guy who did our interview said that the medical was valid for a year and that we must enter the US and activate our visa within 12 months of the medical date. For us it was a not issue as there was only a week or two difference between the 6 months to enter the US and the 12 months for the medical.
I got our passports back today and the Visa issue date was 6 March with the Visa expiry date being 29 July, which was 12 months from the date of our medicals.

SO it looks like they made the visa issue date the date on which they actually put the Visa in our passport, rather than the date we went for our IV back at the end of Jan (we had to send our passports in separately as we had a holiday booked a week or so after our IV)

So the visa IV guy was right
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I got our passports back today and the Visa issue date was 6 March with the Visa expiry date being 29 July, which was 12 months from the date of our medicals.
I find that very interesting. In 10 years of following this group, I have never heard of the visa needing to be used within 12 months of the medical. Personally, I think it's a mistake... but hey, perhaps I learned something new today.

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

kellyoc519 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Yes, that's correct. My husband and I began the process in January 2004 through DCF, knowing that we would be married in April 2004 when we filed the I-130. Then we slowed the whole thing down a bit and continued the process in late 2004 / early 2005 with interviews et al. My husband obtained his conditional green card in April 2005 and entered the US in July 2005. It worked out fine.

Kelly
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by kellyoc519
My husband obtained his conditional green card in April 2005 and entered the US in July 2005. It worked out fine.

Kelly
Hi Kelly,

Are you sure about this part? He couldn't have obtained his conditional green card before entering the USA. I think what you might have meant was that he received his CR-1 immigrant visa in April, and then entered the USA in July, thus becoming a conditional permanent resident upon entry to the USA.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

kellyoc519 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Kelly,

Are you sure about this part? He couldn't have obtained his conditional green card before entering the USA. I think what you might have meant was that he received his CR-1 immigrant visa in April, and then entered the USA in July, thus becoming a conditional permanent resident upon entry to the USA.

Rene
oops, yes that's right. He received CR-1 immigrant status and the GC followed upon entry. Thanks for pointing that out, it certainly could have created some confusion

The point is, we stretched out the process over a year and half until we were ready to do it

K
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Mexicanfoodrules is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we are pretty much in the same boat. Although not married yet my usc fiance and I (ukc) are getting married in the uk in June and are planning on moving to America around 2009. This seems like the right place to get all the info needed.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.