Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

When to send petition for K-1?

Wikiposts

When to send petition for K-1?

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:10 pm
Gregnsandy

Default When to send petition for K-1?

My Fiance and I plan to be married May 17th, 2003. When should we send the I-129F to
start the process? We were thinking July, to have the visa by febuary or march, but
have some leeway if it comes earlier or later than we thought... I am scared to send
it too early or too late! Does this sound right?

Old May 2nd 2002, 3:40 pm
Dabear?

Default Re: When to send petition for K-1?

remember that you have 6 months to enter the US after the K1 is approved and then 90
days to get married. Maybe its just me but planning something in advance in this day
and age with the INS under investigation is very scary

GregnSandy wrote:

> My Fiance and I plan to be married May 17th, 2003. When should we send the I-129F
    > to start the process? We were thinking July, to have the visa by febuary or march,
    > but have some leeway if it comes earlier or later than we thought... I am scared to
    > send it too early or too late! Does this sound right?

Old May 2nd 2002, 6:10 pm
Shelley

You didn't mention what country your fiancé is from or what Service Center you will
be using, but generally from start to finish a K-1 takes about 6 months, so sending
in your petition in July may be a little early. You might start here -
http://www.k1homepages.com/ choose the country your fiancé is coming from - and read
the personal experiences from people have gone through the process and see their
timelines. Also http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/sctimes.htm will show the processing
times for the I-129F - so you can see how fast the first half of your paperwork will
be processed. Take Care. Shelley

"GregnSandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My Fiance and I plan to be married May 17th, 2003. When should we send the I-129F
    > to start the process? We were thinking
July,
    > to have the visa by febuary or march, but have some leeway if it comes earlier or
    > later than we thought... I am scared to send it too early or
too
    > late! Does this sound right?

Old May 3rd 2002, 1:10 am
Kristin

I can tell you what we did/are doing, if that helps. We are planning our wedding for
November 30, 2002 and sent our petition in on February 6. My fiance is planning to
move to the US around November 1, so we figured that 9 months gave us plenty of time,
in case anything went wrong, but not too much time in case everything went really
fast. Good thing, too because we got an RFE (for my (USC) state-issued birth
certificate, I had sent county-issued), so we are experiencing a delay. We haven't
gotten the second NOA yet, but we are still a long way from November, so we're not
(too) worried. Just pissed about the RFE!

The service center also had a big impact on our decision - when we applied it was
taking 2 to 3 months from mailing to 2nd NOA. We are using Nebraska. We are also
going through Montreal, Canada, fyi. So we figured, apply in February, second NOA in
May, packet 3 in June, interview in Montreal in August, Sergio enters in November.

We got engaged in December, 2001, by the way and MAN am I hating that I have another
six months before 1) my fiance and I live in the same city and 2) we are finally
married. These long engagements suck, especially when you live so far apart!

Good luck with your petition and your wedding plans! Kristin

GregnSandy wrote:

> to start the process? We were thinking July, to have the visa by febuary or march,
    > but have some leeway if it comes earlier or later than we thought... I am scared to
    > send it too early or too late! Does this sound right?

Old May 3rd 2002, 5:40 am
Charles

Kristin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I can tell you what we did/are doing, if that helps. We are planning our wedding
    > for November 30, 2002 and sent our petition in on February 6. My fiance is planning
    > to move to the US around November 1, so we figured that 9 months gave us plenty of
    > time, in case anything went wrong, but not too much time in case everything went
    > really fast. Good thing, too because we got an RFE (for my (USC) state-issued birth
    > certificate, I had sent county-issued), so we are experiencing a delay. We haven't
    > gotten the second NOA yet, but we are still a long way from November, so we're not
    > (too) worried. Just pissed about the RFE!
    >
    >
    > The service center also had a big impact on our decision - when we applied it was
    > taking 2 to 3 months from mailing to 2nd NOA. We are using Nebraska. We are also
    > going through Montreal, Canada, fyi. So we figured, apply in February, second NOA
    > in May, packet 3 in June, interview in Montreal in August, Sergio enters in
    > November.
    >
    > We got engaged in December, 2001, by the way and MAN am I hating that I have
    > another six months before 1) my fiance and I live in the same city and 2) we
    > are finally married. These long engagements suck, especially when you live so
    > far apart!
    >
    > Good luck with your petition and your wedding plans! Kristin
    >
    > GregnSandy wrote:
    >
    > > My Fiance and I plan to be married May 17th, 2003. When should we send the I-129F
    > > to start the process? We were thinking July, to have the visa by febuary or
    > > march, but have some leeway if it comes earlier or later than we thought... I am
    > > scared to send it too early or too late! Does this sound right?

Montreal Consulate is only giving 4 months to enter On the K-1 visa right now. I have
heard this from INS at port huron and also read the same thing in here about 3 weeks
ago. By the way about the RFE and the BC it was county issued Right. was it long form
or short form? Also me fiance was County Issued but the actual certificate stamped on
the county certifacte was state issued so I wonder if we will get an RFE for that we
to are going thru NSC and montreal consulate. Nice thing about us is we live only 30
miles apart in MI and ONT

Old May 3rd 2002, 6:10 am
Kristin

Charles - Can you tell me where you saw the info on the newsgroup about Montreal only
doing four month visas? Or re-post what you heard from INS at Port Huron - sorry, I
must have missed that post. My understanding of the "four month" issue is that the
approved petition is valid for four months after the second NOA is issued - and if it
takes longer for the consulate (in our case Montreal) to issue the visa, they need to
re-validate the petition when the Non-USC is getting the visa at the consulate,
especially if you are entering at Detroit Metro Airport, since they have recently
taken to enforcing the rule about revalidated petitions. Once you have visa, you can
use it to enter the US within six months - I don't think the consulate gets to change
or alter that time line. Once you enter the US, you must marry within 90 days of
entering and file to adjust status after you marry (ASAP, because you are technically
out of status after you marry).

Do I have that right? Someone with more knowledge can probably verify it, I'm still
learning all of this!

Re: the RFE and my BC - both BCs I submitted were the "long form" which in Indiana's
case is still only 1/2 of an 8.5x11 piece of paper. I also submitted my fiance's
long-form BC, although you don't have to submit their BC with the I-129F app, you
just need the original for the consulate interview.

I can't tell you if you will get an RFE because of your BC. If you have already
submitted your application, my advice would be to wait and see. It only took me a
week to get the right BC and get it back to Nebraska. If you haven't submitted yet
(and I know you were getting ready to from one of your earlier posts), I wouldn't
risk getting the RFE - I would have your fiancee get a state-issued BC. I don't know
what distinguishes them except in Indiana, but it's not worth risk and the additional
wait- I applied on Feb. 6 and am still waiting for my second NOA, while I watch
others who applied just before the RFE was issued on April 5 get approved. It can be
a bit frustrating.

We are REALLY lucky, though, as you point out - we live close (you're closer, but I'm
only about a 5 hour drive) to our loved ones, while many people on this NG are many
hours away by plane. So I'm sorry for griping earlier about a long wait for our
wedding. Kristin

Charles wrote:

> Montreal Consulate is only giving 4 months to enter On the K-1 visa right now. I
    > have heard this from INS at port huron and also read the same thing in here about 3
    > weeks ago. By the way about the RFE and the BC it was county issued Right. was it
    > long form or short form? Also me fiance was County Issued but the actual
    > certificate stamped on the county certifacte was state issued so I wonder if we
    > will get an RFE for that we to are going thru NSC and montreal consulate. Nice
    > thing about us is we live only 30 miles apart in MI and ONT

Old May 3rd 2002, 10:10 am
Charles

Kristin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Charles - Can you tell me where you saw the info on the newsgroup about Montreal
    > only doing four month visas? Or re-post what you heard from INS at Port Huron -
    > sorry, I must have missed that post. My understanding of the "four month" issue is
    > that the approved petition is valid for four months after the second NOA is issued
    > - and if it takes longer for the consulate (in our case Montreal) to issue the
    > visa, they need to re-validate the petition when the Non-USC is getting the visa at
    > the consulate, especially if you are entering at Detroit Metro Airport, since they
    > have recently taken to enforcing the rule about revalidated petitions. Once you
    > have visa, you can use it to enter the US within six months - I don't think the
    > consulate gets to change or alter

ok at port huron the inspector had just done a k-1 visa about an hour before I had
talked to him. I asked him how long the timeline was from montreal. he pulled out the
k-1 visa and looked It was only good for 4 months and that one was approved by
Montreal so that is where i got that info from. But I will look later to find the
other place I found that out later Just on my way to see my fiance now and will look
at her place and post the info by sunday
    > that time line. Once you enter the US, you must marry within 90 days of entering
    > and file to adjust status after you marry (ASAP, because you are technically out of
    > status after you marry).
    >
    > Do I have that right? Someone with more knowledge can probably verify it, I'm still
    > learning all of this!
    >
    > Re: the RFE and my BC - both BCs I submitted were the "long form" which in
    > Indiana's case is still only 1/2 of an 8.5x11 piece of paper. I also submitted my
    > fiance's long-form BC, although you don't have to submit their BC with the I-129F
    > app, you just need the original for the consulate interview.
    >
    > I can't tell you if you will get an RFE because of your BC. If you have already
    > submitted your application, my advice would be to wait and see. It only took me a
    > week to get the right BC and get it back to Nebraska. If you haven't submitted yet
    > (and I know you were getting ready to from one of your earlier posts), I wouldn't
    > risk getting the RFE - I would have your fiancee get a state-issued BC. I don't
    > know what distinguishes them except in Indiana, but it's not worth risk and the
    > additional wait- I applied on Feb. 6 and am still waiting for my second NOA, while
    > I watch others who applied just before the RFE was issued on April 5 get approved.
    > It can be a bit frustrating.
    >
    > We are REALLY lucky, though, as you point out - we live close (you're closer, but
    > I'm only about a 5 hour drive) to our loved ones, while many people on this NG are
    > many hours away by plane. So I'm sorry for griping earlier about a long wait for
    > our wedding. Kristin
    >
    > Charles wrote:
    >
    > > Montreal Consulate is only giving 4 months to enter On the K-1 visa right now. I
    > > have heard this from INS at port huron and also read the same thing in here about
    > > 3 weeks ago. By the way about the RFE and the BC it was county issued Right. was
    > > it long form or short form? Also me fiance was County Issued but the actual
    > > certificate stamped on the county certifacte was state issued so I wonder if we
    > > will get an RFE for that we to are going thru NSC and montreal consulate. Nice
    > > thing about us is we live only 30 miles apart in MI and ONT

Old May 3rd 2002, 12:10 pm
Bonnie M

Kristin I just interviewed in Montreal April 17th and have my visa in my passport and
it is valid til October. Bonnie

"Kristin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Charles - Can you tell me where you saw the info on the newsgroup about
Montreal only
    > doing four month visas? Or re-post what you heard from INS at Port
Huron - sorry, I
    > must have missed that post. My understanding of the "four month" issue is
that the
    > approved petition is valid for four months after the second NOA is
issued - and if it
    > takes longer for the consulate (in our case Montreal) to issue the visa,
they need to
    > re-validate the petition when the Non-USC is getting the visa at the
consulate,
    > especially if you are entering at Detroit Metro Airport, since they have
recently taken
    > to enforcing the rule about revalidated petitions. Once you have visa,
you can use it
    > to enter the US within six months - I don't think the consulate gets to
change or alter
    > that time line. Once you enter the US, you must marry within 90 days of
entering and
    > file to adjust status after you marry (ASAP, because you are technically
out of status
    > after you marry).
    >
    > Do I have that right? Someone with more knowledge can probably verify it,
I'm still
    > learning all of this!
    >
    > Re: the RFE and my BC - both BCs I submitted were the "long form" which in
Indiana's
    > case is still only 1/2 of an 8.5x11 piece of paper. I also submitted my
fiance's
    > long-form BC, although you don't have to submit their BC with the I-129F
app, you just
    > need the original for the consulate interview.
    >
    > I can't tell you if you will get an RFE because of your BC. If you have
already
    > submitted your application, my advice would be to wait and see. It only
took me a week
    > to get the right BC and get it back to Nebraska. If you haven't submitted
yet (and I
    > know you were getting ready to from one of your earlier posts), I wouldn't
risk getting
    > the RFE - I would have your fiancee get a state-issued BC. I don't know
what
    > distinguishes them except in Indiana, but it's not worth risk and the
additional wait-
    > I applied on Feb. 6 and am still waiting for my second NOA, while I watch
others who
    > applied just before the RFE was issued on April 5 get approved. It can be
a bit
    > frustrating.
    >
    > We are REALLY lucky, though, as you point out - we live close (you're
closer, but I'm
    > only about a 5 hour drive) to our loved ones, while many people on this NG
are many
    > hours away by plane. So I'm sorry for griping earlier about a long wait
for our
    > wedding. Kristin
    >
    > Charles wrote:
    >
    > > Montreal Consulate is only giving 4 months to enter On the K-1 visa right now. I
    > > have heard this from INS at port huron and also read the same thing in here about
    > > 3 weeks ago. By the way about the RFE and the BC it was county issued Right. was
    > > it long form or short form? Also me fiance was County Issued but the actual
    > > certificate stamped on the county certifacte was state issued so I wonder if we
    > > will get an RFE for that we to are going thru NSC and montreal consulate. Nice
    > > thing about us is we live only 30 miles apart in MI and ONT