Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

When & How can I change my last name???

Wikiposts

When & How can I change my last name???

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 4:37 am
Immigrationinfo

Default When & How can I change my last name???

HI, I just got married a month ago at the same time I'm applying for my
green card. I have received I-797 C, Notice of action(receipt letter). I
want to change my last name to my husband's last name. When I went to
driver's license to renew, they told me that they only can change my
last name when I receive some letter from USCIS with my new last name.

Please tell me when I should expect to get the letter from USCIS with
changed my last name. Also, How can I change for my SSC?

Thanks!

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When & How can I change my last name???

Originally Posted by Immigrationinfo
HI, I just got married a month ago at the same time I'm applying for my
green card. I have received I-797 C, Notice of action(receipt letter). I
want to change my last name to my husband's last name. When I went to
driver's license to renew, they told me that they only can change my
last name when I receive some letter from USCIS with my new last name.

changed my last name. Also, How can I change for my SSC?

Thanks!

--
You need to change your SSC first, then go change all your other documents. If you take your marriage license, your passport, and your old SSC (if you have one) to the SS office, they should issue you a new card in your new name. You might need your EAD also (if you have one), I'm not sure.

Once you get your new SSC, you can more easily change the name on your other documents such as your drivers license.

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You need to change your SSC first, then go change all your other documents. If you take your marriage license, your passport, and your old SSC (if you have one) to the SS office, they should issue you a new card in your new name. You might need your EAD also (if you have one), I'm not sure.

Once you get your new SSC, you can more easily change the name on your other documents such as your drivers license.

Rene
When we applied for our marriage license - the people at the city office gave me a form to mail off to the Social Security peeps and everything just kind of fell into place from there.

Your local city office might have this same form.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeninifer
When we applied for our marriage license - the people at the city office gave me a form to mail off to the Social Security peeps and everything just kind of fell into place from there.

Your local city office might have this same form.
It's also available at www.ssa.gov.

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 2:48 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101

I agree that she will probably need to change the name on her SSN record before changing the name on her driver's license, since just about every state now compares the DL application info against the SSN record.

However, changing the name on your SSN record was made a bit more difficult on the 17th of December.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10120.html
New Rules For Getting A Social Security Number And Card

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210
RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

The applicant may submit either:

One legal name change document showing both the old and new names (e.g., a court order for a name change or a marriage document. The document must also show either (1) a description or photograph of the person or (2) biographical information that can be compared with the Numident data; or

When the name change document does not show either a photograph of the person or biographical information that can be compared with the Numident data, then, in addition to the name change document, the applicant must also submit two identity documents listed in RM 00203.200E. One of the submitted identity documents must show the old name (the name on the latest Numident record) AND the other submitted identity document must show the new name (the name to be shown on the corrected SSN card). The identity documents submitted must show either a photograph of the applicant or provide biographical information that can be compared with the Numident data. (See RM 00203.200G.).

EXAMPLE: Grace Russell submits a marriage document that does not show any biographical information for her, just her name and the name of her new husband, Daniel Reeder. To support her request to change her name to Grace Reeder, she must submit, in addition to the marriage document supporting the reason for the name change, two identity documents (both of which need to either provide some biographical information that can be compared to the Numident or a photograph that can be compared to the applicant during the interview). Grace submits a Maryland driver’s license in the new name (Grace Reeder) and a U.S. passport in the old name (Grace Russell).

1. Marriage Document or Marriage Record

a. Bride Takes Groom’s Last Name

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name (surname or family name) as her new last name. (EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she may change her name to Jane Jones.)

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband’s last name, accept the marriage document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner’s first names, the bride’s prior surname and husband’s surname. The marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets the criteria described in RM 00203.200G.2.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#G2

2. Determine if the ID Document Has Required Information

Ask the applicant to submit one or more documents that show the person’s name AND provide:

Biographical information in addition to the person’s name that the reviewer can compare with the data on the SS-5 (e.g., date of birth, age, or parents' names) and/or

Physical information that the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document must have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the Numident, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names). When an SS-5 is received by mail or brought to the office by someone other than the number holder, the photo on the picture identity document cannot be compared to the applicant. Therefore, unless the applicant is present and the photo can be compared to him/her, a picture identity document must also show the person’s biographical information (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents’ names) that can be compared to the data on the SS-5 and/or Numident.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You also need to provide a work authorization document if you want to be issued an SSN card with the married. Otherwise, just the SSN record will be corrected and no card will be issued.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510#D4
RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

4.. Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200
RM 00203.200 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card

The lists of acceptable documents as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

6. Documents for Adult Age 18 and Older

ALIEN: Adult Age 18 and older

1. Primary Evidence

Request a current U.S. immigration document:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 stamp/machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

-- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:17 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Ii,

What letter from the USCIS with your changed last name? Have you requested that the USCIS change the name on your records?

What name did you use for your I-485 application?
- If your 'married' name was used for the I-485, then your married name should be the name on your I-797C Receipt Notice.
- If your maiden name was used for the I-485, you cannot expect to receive anything from the USCIS showing a different name. I don't know how you can reliably get the name on the adjustment application changed except, perhaps, at the adjustment interview when you're face-to-face with a live person who is the person who will be putting through the order for your 'Green Card'. Even then the change may not get made correctly, and you may have to apply for a corrected 'Green Card' to get the change implimented.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Immigrationinfo
HI, I just got married a month ago at the same time I'm applying for my green card. I have received I-797 C, Notice of action(receipt letter). I want to change my last name to my husband's last name. When I went to driver's license to renew, they told me that they only can change my last name when I receive some letter from USCIS with my new last name.

changed my last name. ....

Thanks!

--
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:54 am
Eric S.

Did you legally change your name when you got married? If so, the document
that shows that should be your marriage certificate. At least that's true
in Massachusetts, where we got married. It may be different in other
states. You should be able to get a copy of your marriage certificate from
the place where you filed it.

Also, if you changed your name when you got married, you should have put
your new name on your I-485 and other forms that you sent to USCIS. It kind
of sounds like you didn't. Because I think you are saying that your I-797
does not have your new name on it.

If you didn't change your name when you got married, and want to do it now,
I'm not sure how you would do it. I guess you'd need to check with the
courthouse where you live.

- Eric S.

"immigrationinfo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected].. .
    > HI, I just got married a month ago at the same time I'm applying for my
    > green card. I have received I-797 C, Notice of action(receipt letter). I
    > want to change my last name to my husband's last name. When I went to
    > driver's license to renew, they told me that they only can change my
    > last name when I receive some letter from USCIS with my new last name.
    > Please tell me when I should expect to get the letter from USCIS with
    > changed my last name. Also, How can I change for my SSC?
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Posted via http://expatforums.com

Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:50 pm
Immigrationinfo

> > HI, I just got married a month ago at the same time I'm applying for
    > > my
    > > green card. I have received I-797 C, Notice of action(receipt
    > > letter).
    > > I
    > > want to change my last name to my husband's last name. When I went
    > > to
    > > driver's license to renew, they told me that they only can change my
    > > last name when I receive some letter from USCIS with my new last
    > > name.
    > > Please tell me when I should expect to get the letter from USCIS
    > > with
    > > changed my last name. Also, How can I change for my SSC?
    > > Thanks!
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://expatforums.com
    > Ii,
    > What letter from the USCIS with your changed last name? Have you
    > requested that the USCIS change the name on your records?
    > What name did you use for your I-485 application?
    > - If your 'married' name was used for the I-485, then your married
    > name
    > should be the name on your I-797C Receipt Notice.
    > - If your maiden name was used for the I-485, you cannot expect to
    > receive anything from the USCIS showing a different name. I don't
    > know how you can reliably get the name on the adjustment
    > application
    > changed except, perhaps, at the adjustment interview when you're
    > face-to-
    > face with a live person who is the person who will be putting
    > through
    > the order for your 'Green Card'. Even then the change may not get
    > made correctly, and you may have to apply for a corrected 'Green
    > Card' to get the change implimented.
    > Regards, JEff
    > --
    > Of course, the Internet also tells us that hot naked women want to
    > befriend us, so we can't be 100% sure about everything we read there.
    > (Dave Barry)

Thank you for your information. I believe that I didn't put my married
name when I applied for all forms because all NOA has my maiden name.

Question1: Does this mean I can't change my last name even if I receive
my EAD and take it to SSA?

Question2: When can I change my last name?

Thank you

--