Wikiposts

When Does K1 Expire ?

Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about
Default When Does K1 Expire ?

Little bit confused on this one.

I have a K1 Visa issued by the Embassy which states that it expires on the 21st Jan 06. The Embassy gave me six months to enter the US.

I am entering the US on the 14th of Dec and marrying on the 18th Feb. By the date on my K1 visa will I be Out of Status after the expiration date on my visa. Or does the clock tick for 90 days when you enter at the POE and you are only Out of Status after your 90 days are up ?

Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:01 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Does K1 Expire ?

Originally Posted by evanio1978

I have a K1 Visa issued by the Embassy which states that it expires on the 21st Jan 06. The Embassy gave me six months to enter the US.

I am entering the US on the 14th of Dec and marrying on the 18th Feb. By the date on my K1 visa will I be Out of Status after the expiration date on my visa. Or does the clock tick for 90 days when you enter at the POE and you are only Out of Status after your 90 days are up ?

Thanks
You've got it right in your last sentence.

If you're entering on Dec 14th, you have until March 13th (Day 90) to get married, so you're fine.

Happy travels!

~ Jenney
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
You've got it right in your last sentence.

If you're entering on Dec 14th, you have until March 13th (Day 90) to get married, so you're fine.

Happy travels!

~ Jenney
Hi evanio,

I agree with Jenney. You are entering the USA before the expiration of the K-1, and you are marrying within the first 90 days of your arrival, so you are fine.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evanio1978

Thanks
Another way to put it is this:
The K-1 visa, good for a single entry, is kaput after you enter; it's no longer useful.
The I-94 you get at entry indicates how long you are admitted for, aka 90 days. In that time, you are required by the terms of your admission to get married to your USC petitioner/fiance.
You should make your best effort to apply to adjust your status before your 90 days expire. After you apply for AOS, you have a new status until your AOS interview.