Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way to bring Aussie husband back to the US with me?

Wikiposts

Whats the best way to bring Aussie husband back to the US with me?

Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

oa02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats the best way to bring Aussie husband back to the US with me?

I'm a USC who recently married an Aussie.We both reside in Australia at the moment.I'm only here on a student visa though.We have applied for an australian spouse visa but have not yet gotten a decision and have started thinking about the possibility of moving back to the states together.

I've been doing some reading about the k129 and 130 visas and am wondering if this would be our best option? It doesn't look like id be qualified to apply at the u.s. consulate here since I am on a temporary visa.Would I have to go back to the u.s. to apply for him? also is there some kind of visa he could come to the u.s. on while his spouse visa is pending? I cant bear the thought of being seperated for the 8 months to a year it seems to take to process

thanks so much for any advice
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the best way to bring Aussie husband back to the US with me?

Originally Posted by oa02
I'm a USC who recently married an Aussie.We both reside in Australia at the moment.I'm only here on a student visa though.We have applied for an australian spouse visa but have not yet gotten a decision and have started thinking about the possibility of moving back to the states together.

I've been doing some reading about the k129 and 130 visas and am wondering if this would be our best option? It doesn't look like id be qualified to apply at the u.s. consulate here since I am on a temporary visa.Would I have to go back to the u.s. to apply for him? also is there some kind of visa he could come to the u.s. on while his spouse visa is pending? I cant bear the thought of being seperated for the 8 months to a year it seems to take to process

thanks so much for any advice
For immigrating to the US: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

For visiting: VWP (bringing plenty of ties to Oz to prove non-immigrant intent at *that* visit - to be shown *only* if asked).
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing some reading about the k129 and 130 visas and am wondering if this would be our best option?
Unless your husband qualifies for some other type of visa, your only option is the "spouse" visa. The "form" numbers are I-129F and I-130. The actual "visas" are K-3 and CR-1 respectively. Nowadays, the K-3 visa is *not* the preferred visa. A CR-1 visa takes just as long, costs just as much, but has the distinct advantage of him becoming a permanent resident of the US the day he sets foot on US soil... and a green card and SSN will follow shortly.

He can *visit* the US while his visa is pending, but there is always the chance that he will be denied entry to the US.

I cant bear the thought of being seperated for the 8 months to a year it seems to take to process.
Welcome to US immigration. Sadly, this is what we have all done... but this too shall pass! Keep focussed on the goal... not the journey.

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is the delay in the decision the reason for thinking like that? There is nothing unusual about a delay of a few months.

Have you thought of staying at least long enough to get your Australian citizenship before you move back to the U.S.?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't look like id be qualified to apply at the u.s. consulate here since I am on a temporary visa.
Please please please read this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493156 (gets very interesting for you on page 2)
and
read the first link in my signature.

Filing in Australia is almost always 'the best way'.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for the replies.How long could he visit on a visitors visa? Can that be extended while waiting?

JAJ,to try and make a long story short.I visited an immigration agent about my student visa and she started questioning me about my spouse visa (which I applied and had an interview for 6 weeks ago and had thought was fine)and scolded me several times for not hiring a migration agent and that my spouse visa is going to fail based on character for lack of relationship evidence,that i'm here on a student visa and that my husband and I have only been together a few months.She insisted that I go hired an agent and submit more evidence.I called one of the people she referred me too and he asked me some questions like where my husband works and said that he thought it would be looked at pretty hard and maybe someone would show up at our house to check out that we are living here together but that he thought it would be ok.I did feel better after talking to him but still have alot of doubts after what the original agent said to me.
Plus our CO hasnt answered our 2 emails over the last 5 weeks,the latest being 2 weeks ago when all we were trying to do was confirm that they'd received all the additional evidence we sent in.I don't know if thats typical or not.
We were never told a timeline for processing and in reading over forums it seemed like the applications for spouse visas were processed pretty quickly once all the evidence was in and we sent in all the additional requested evidence 4 weeks ago.

Our thinking was that if we can work on getting him a us visa from here while we are waiting for a decision then we wont have to be apart as long if my aussie visa ends up getting denied.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the replies.How long could he visit on a visitors visa? Can that be extended while waiting?

JAJ,to try and make a long story short.I visited an immigration agent about my student visa and she started questioning me about my spouse visa (which I applied and had an interview for 6 weeks ago and had thought was fine)and scolded me several times for not hiring a migration agent and that my spouse visa is going to fail based on character for lack of relationship evidence,that i'm here on a student visa and that my husband and I have only been together a few months.She insisted that I go hired an agent and submit more evidence.I called one of the people she referred me too and he asked me some questions like where my husband works and said that he thought it would be looked at pretty hard and maybe someone would show up at our house to check out that we are living here together but that he thought it would be ok.I did feel better after talking to him but still have alot of doubts after what the original agent said to me.
Plus our CO hasnt answered our 2 emails over the last 5 weeks,the latest being 2 weeks ago when all we were trying to do was confirm that they'd received all the additional evidence we sent in.I don't know if thats typical or not.
We were never told a timeline for processing and in reading over forums it seemed like the applications for spouse visas were processed pretty quickly once all the evidence was in and we sent in all the additional requested evidence 4 weeks ago.

Our thinking was that if we can work on getting him a us visa from here while we are waiting for a decision then we wont have to be apart as long if my aussie visa ends up getting denied.

Do you guys want to live in Oz or in the US?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

VWP = max 90 day stay, can't be extended.

Border hopping is not advised...you might get away with it a couple of times you might not.

If you don't have the patience to wait out the Oz side of things, you'll be in for a surprise with the cracking pace of things on the US side of things.

Good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Please please please read this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493156 (gets very interesting for you on page 2)
and
read the first link in my signature.

Filing in Australia is almost always 'the best way'.
thanks VERY much!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
VWP = max 90 day stay, can't be extended.

Border hopping is not advised...you might get away with it a couple of times you might not.

If you don't have the patience to wait out the Oz side of things, you'll be in for a surprise with the cracking pace of things on the US side of things.

Good luck.
It has nothing to with with patience on the Oz side of things.I'm happy to wait for months for a decision now that I know thats the norm.The issue is since I am concerned that our application may end up denied,I want to have a plan B in place just in case! I had hoped there would be some kind of temporary (non tourist visa) that he could come out on if need be to wait on the spouse visa.Doesn't sound like there is.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to with with patience on the Oz side of things.I'm happy to wait for months for a decision now that I know thats the norm.The issue is since I am concerned that our application may end up denied,I want to have a plan B in place just in case! I had hoped there would be some kind of temporary (non tourist visa) that he could come out on if need be to wait on the spouse visa.Doesn't sound like there is.
During your research on this, you might run across the K-3 visa, which will sound like what you're looking for. Years ago, the I-130 Immigrant Visa process could take 2 or 3 years to complete, so USCIS created the K-3 visa, which would allow a spouse to come to the USA to live and work while waiting for the I-130 to process. The K-3 took around 6 months to process, while the I-130 would take years. So it worked back then.

Now, however, the I-130 process has sped up so much, that the K-3 does not bring the spouse here much earlier. It only takes around 8 to 10 months to process the Immigrant Visa, and it takes about that same amount of time for the K-3.

Just wanted to warn you that you may run across this K-3 visa which sounds like what you're looking for, but nowadays does not really bring the spouse here any earlier than the I-130 would.

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2007, 5:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

'Working on a visa' is quite expensive. Since it doesn't take long to get a US visa for a spouse if filing from inside Australia, maybe you are just being premature. If you really want to live in Australia, work on making that application a 'go'.

, I want to have a plan B in place just in case! I had hoped there would be some kind of temporary (non tourist visa) that he could come out on if need be to wait on the spouse visa.Doesn't sound like there is.
Again, it only takes about a month or so if you file from inside Australia, to get a US spouse visa.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite unusual for genuine (Australian) spouse visa applications to be refused (and there are appeal processes), so without knowing the details it sounds like that agent was trying to scare you.

If you want a second opinion, why not go to see IARC in Sydney:
http://www.iarc.asn.au
If you're not in Sydney then IARC could refer you to another more local support group.

Do bear in mind that you must continue to abide by the conditions of your student visa (attend classes etc) until spouse visa is granted.