Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

what will happen to me?

Wikiposts

what will happen to me?

Old Apr 13th 2003, 10:47 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what will happen to me?

Darned thing posted twice ...
Old Apr 13th 2003, 12:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Why would you think that it is any of your business what the issues are? <snip>
Rete
heh, I wondered when the rest of the wild woman posse would show up on this one (thx too Ranjini).

This one from Brad was certainly on *my* list...

Wild Women Posse: Ridin' a dead horse with a sweet 10 footer...
Old Apr 13th 2003, 12:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
heh, I wondered when the rest of the wild woman posse would show up on this one (thx too Ranjini).

I was in Massachusetts for the weekend and only now catching up on posts.

Don't you just love the moral majority here. Getting so you are not only afraid to answer a post but posters are afraid to ask questions and give a little background information. Can only imagine what they think of my generation of the swinging 60's and 70's and free love, recreational drugs and flowers in our hair. Heck it was a fun time though ;-) We were more interested in making each other than making money LOL.

Rete
Old Apr 13th 2003, 12:25 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by meauxna

Yeah Wild women posse... can we add immoral in there somewhere ?? ... sounds almost depraved don't ya think? Sweet forbidden things! Smacks of Eve in the garden of Eden....Hehehe.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
Yeah Wild women posse... can we add immoral in there somewhere ?? ... sounds almost depraved don't ya think? Sweet forbidden things! Smacks of Eve in the garden of Eden....Hehehe.
Hmmmm apples and fig leaves ;-)

Watch out for the snake

R
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
You know, you can be a *very* wild woman and still think its pretty low to be living with your in-the-dark husband planning on how to keep your status in the US (status you have only because of him) while having a relationship with someone else behind his back.

You should hang out with one of that type of wild woman sometime. You'd be quite surprised how nice we are despite our very wildness -- we definitely are not part of the "moral majority" (unless telling someone to be honest and do the right thing by telling the truth to the person they claim to love, even if it results in personal sacrifice, makes us so).

In an ideal world with neat dilemmas and neat law, NGers can try to interpret questions as pure "immigration" questions, devoid of the ethics and morality that are implicated in them. I certainly agree the boards would be "more pleasant". But since only a couple of posters are immigration attorneys or so experienced that they know the absolute right answer more often than not, there wouldn't be much traffic on the NG if not for opinions.

Even the law itself doesn't demand that immigration problems are solved outside of the realm of ethics and morality (the 10-foot pole example is another of those questions that implicate both law and ethics/morality for many people). The law appears quite "it depends" when it comes to handling a marriage that ends before AOS. What happens is at least partially dependent on the discerned intent of the parties seeking AOS. From what I've read on the boards this past couple of months, the BCIS can and does make an evaluation, even superficially, of whether the request for AOS is designed to further immigration as the primary motive, instead of a good-faith marriage between the USC and the immigrant, unless one of the exceptions applies. That makes it a valid issue for inquiry when questions about the impact of separation and divorce and AOS come up within the context of the NG.

If the poster wanted only a truly "strictly by the book" opinion she could have easily called up BCIS or an attorney rather than ask real live laypersons (including lawyers who are not immigration lawyers) on an NG. We are not being asked our opinion in a professional capacity and therefore have no duty to report answers stripped from all of who we are as people. In this case, this poster admits that regardless of where things were at the beginning of her marriage, she would likely be separated if not divorcing right now but for the possible impact on her immigration status. Because of her fear on that issue, she has admittedly kept her husband in the dark rather than be honest about her feelings for someone else. Even though he's on the hook for the next 10 years because of the affidavit of support. That's *my* squick and I wouldn't be the person I am if I didn't speak to that.

/laughing at the fantasy idea of being in the "moral majority" -- for perhaps the only time in her life.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

I find your post highly ironic Rete, in light of your criticism of me for keeping my 'legal' wedding from my family (while planning for a family church wedding later). I guess it was easier for you to be in the moral majority in that case, as you did not have a shared experience with me?

Don't you just love the moral majority here. Getting so you are not only afraid to answer a post but posters are afraid to ask questions and give a little background information. Can only imagine what they think of my generation of the swinging 60's and 70's and free love, recreational drugs and flowers in our hair. Heck it was a fun time though ;-) We were more interested in making each other than making money LOL.

Rete
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by DCMark
I find your post highly ironic Rete, in light of your criticism of me for keeping my 'legal' wedding from my family (while planning for a family church wedding later). I guess it was easier for you to be in the moral majority in that case, as you did not have a shared experience with me?
And what has that to do with morality? You wanted to keep what you considered to be the happiest day of your life from the most important members of your life in a game of charades.

FTR, I've never cheated on my husbands nor on any man I was having a committed relationship with.

Rete
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:50 pm
Concierge

She's found that she is not in love with her husband but in love with someone else and came and asked what her legal status would be once they divorced.

If it were me, I would certainly try to determine what my options were from an BCIS viewpoint. Men and women fall out of love as quickly as they fall into love. And just because there is a third party involved, namely the BCIS, does not mean it was necessarily for a green card.

She wasn't asking how to defraud the government or her husband. Nor was she asking for anyone's advice on her marriage or emotional dilemna. Plain and simply she was asking what her status would be upon divorce. For all we know her husband is fully aware of the situation and has turned a blind eye to it. It's their lives.

She asked a question. The answer is she has no legal right to remain in the US once she is divorced.

Rete

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
You know, you can be a *very* wild woman and still think its pretty low to be living with your in-the-dark husband planning on how to keep your status in the US (status you have only because of him) while having a relationship with someone else behind his back.

You should hang out with one of that type of wild woman sometime. You'd be quite surprised how nice we are despite our very wildness -- we definitely are not part of the "moral majority" (unless telling someone to be honest and do the right thing by telling the truth to the person they claim to love, even if it results in personal sacrifice, makes us so).

In an ideal world with neat dilemmas and neat law, NGers can try to interpret questions as pure "immigration" questions, devoid of the ethics and morality that are implicated in them. I certainly agree the boards would be "more pleasant". But since only a couple of posters are immigration attorneys or so experienced that they know the absolute right answer more often than not, there wouldn't be much traffic on the NG if not for opinions.

Even the law itself doesn't demand that immigration problems are solved outside of the realm of ethics and morality (the 10-foot pole example is another of those questions that implicate both law and ethics/morality for many people). The law appears quite "it depends" when it comes to handling a marriage that ends before AOS. What happens is at least partially dependent on the discerned intent of the parties seeking AOS. From what I've read on the boards this past couple of months, the BCIS can and does make an evaluation, even superficially, of whether the request for AOS is designed to further immigration as the primary motive, instead of a good-faith marriage between the USC and the immigrant, unless one of the exceptions applies. That makes it a valid issue for inquiry when questions about the impact of separation and divorce and AOS come up within the context of the NG.

If the poster wanted only a truly "strictly by the book" opinion she could have easily called up BCIS or an attorney rather than ask real live laypersons (including lawyers who are not immigration lawyers) on an NG. We are not being asked our opinion in a professional capacity and therefore have no duty to report answers stripped from all of who we are as people. In this case, this poster admits that regardless of where things were at the beginning of her marriage, she would likely be separated if not divorcing right now but for the possible impact on her immigration status. Because of her fear on that issue, she has admittedly kept her husband in the dark rather than be honest about her feelings for someone else. Even though he's on the hook for the next 10 years because of the affidavit of support. That's *my* squick and I wouldn't be the person I am if I didn't speak to that.

/laughing at the fantasy idea of being in the "moral majority" -- for perhaps the only time in her life.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:54 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
The law appears quite "it depends" when it comes to handling a marriage that ends before AOS. What happens is at least partially dependent on the discerned intent of the parties seeking AOS. From what I've read on the boards this past couple of months, the BCIS can and does make an evaluation, even superficially, of whether the request for AOS is designed to further immigration as the primary motive, instead of a good-faith marriage between the USC and the immigrant, unless one of the exceptions applies. That makes it a valid issue for inquiry when questions about the impact of separation and divorce and AOS come up within the context of the NG.
I apologise Dekka, if I appeared flippant... But as far as I am aware, the immigrant is not entitled to PR, if the marriage ends before AOS. I think immigration law is quite clear on that... That's all we need to tell the OP. How she did or did not deceive her husband is not our concern... She has chosen to be honest with newsgroup. We are not the BCIS...

Last edited by Ranjini; Apr 14th 2003 at 2:37 am.
Old Apr 13th 2003, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

No, you assumed it was the happiest day of my life. That was not true-it was only an INS required date. The happiest day will be my real wedding this June, when we declare our love and fidelity in front of family and God.

You answer below clearly indicates you do have a moral problem with me keeping the legal wedding date from my family. Yet you seem to have a problem with others imposing their moral judgement on this woman for cheating on her husband and then using him for her own immigration needs.

What is ironic is that since you have been divorced before, you can sympathize/defend her, while when you have no experience (ie, being a 'first time' couple going through AOS and dealing with a legal ceremony in the US and a religious one elsewhere), then you can be judgemental. But thats not surprising to me anymore, after seeing your posts here over the past year.

And what has that to do with morality? You kept what you considered to be the happiest day of your life from the most important members of your life.

Rete
Old Apr 13th 2003, 2:47 pm
Mistressbang

Well thanks to those who gave me honest answers and did not bare
judgement. I already bare judgement on myself I did not ask to be put
down because of my situation. I asked technicalities...I have no
problem going home, I don't want to be here just so I can be here, if
you read what I wrote it said I understand that there are those that
are truely in love.
You do not know my whole story to judge me. I did not get married
with the intentions to fall in love with someone else or get divorced.
Situations change, and people change everyday....unfortantly we
didnt' change together. Right now we're trying to work things out, so
you that judged me before knowing the situation shame on you! I only
asked what would happen if I got divorced would I be shipped back to
Canada, I would most likely would go on my own anyway but just curious
in general.
As for weakness, making judgment calls on someone you do not know, or
know the full situation...that is what I would call weak.
I asked a simple question not to have people tell me what a bad person
I am. I already beat myself up over it enough thank you very much.
Before you cast stones always take a look at the big picture, and if
you can't see the big picture then keep your mouth shut and just
either ignore it if you dont' know the answer or answer it like the
three people here seemed to be able to.

Thanks again to those that left their comments to themselves and only
answered my intended question

MistressBang.

Old Apr 13th 2003, 3:01 pm
Banned

Hmmmm apples and fig leaves ;-)

Watch out for the snake

R
That's something the daughters of Eve should always be mindful of... the snake. Comes in many guises, and gets us in trouble everytime... Meauxna is right about the 10 foot pole. Should have it on hand at all times so that we can pole vault out of sticky situations....
Old Apr 14th 2003, 1:46 am
Ann

Ian Stephenson wrote in message news:...
    > On 13 Apr 2003 06:41:54 -0700, [email protected] (Mistressbang)
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I dont' know what issues I ignored in my marriage....it just sort of
    > > one of those things that happenend, I wasn't looking for it, I dont'
    > > think it was looking for me, I just started to have feelings for
    > > someone else.
    >
    > Affairs don't just happen. Problems cause them to happen, even when
    > the individual either doesn't know or is in denial. Build a house on
    > sand and when the house falls down you still have the sand.
    >
    > I've no idea what the score is, maybe you should see a lawyer. But if
    > hubby learns of your indiscretion I guess it'll be his word against
    > yours with the INS. Not sure I'd want to risk an ex-wife sponging off
    > me for eternity if she chose to be with someone else.

Mistressbang....

How long did you know your husband before you got married? How long
have you been married now?

Ann

Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Can only imagine what they think of my generation of the swinging 60's and 70's and free love, recreational drugs and flowers in our hair. Heck it was a fun time though ;-) We were more interested in making each other than making money LOL.

Rete
LOL ! True statement for sure! (The good old days.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.