Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What to wear, what to wear?

What to wear, what to wear?

Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Basilisk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to wear, what to wear?

Okay, it's a silly question, but... What should I (USC) and my UKC wife wear to the interview? I don't want to be under-dressed, but a suit and tie might make it seem that I'm trying to bluff my way through it.

Basil
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:39 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to wear, what to wear?

Wear clothes. They won't let you in if you're naked.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Basilisk
Okay, it's a silly question, but... What should I (USC) and my UKC wife wear to the interview?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, it's a silly question, but... What should I (USC) and my UKC wife wear to the interview? I don't want to be under-dressed, but a suit and tie might make it seem that I'm trying to bluff my way through it.

Basil
If it were me I would wear smart casual.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

When i went for my K1 interview I felt I was dressed fine - a pair of black trousers and a top and cardi
If you go smart casual you will be fine - in fact all they can see of you is your top half so whatever you feel comfortable in which looks good but also makes you feel good so you can forget what you are wearing

there were people there in really really casual clothes - if i were to have my time again i would wear smart jeans and a jacket

If it makes you feel better to wear a suit and tie then by all means do so - its a personal choice but not a pre requisite
Good luck to you!!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter what you wear. Just make sure you tell them your wife told you to wear it, and all will be well.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and one other thing - you are behind a screen - like in a bank (or how banks used to be) and they are behind a desk (like a bank teller)
The first guy who saw me was in an open necked shirt (thats all i could see!) and the second woman who saw me just had a jumper on
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RICH
It doesn't matter what you wear. Just make sure you tell them your wife told you to wear it, and all will be well.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Wear clothes. They won't let you in if you're naked.

Regards, JEff
Have you tried? I haven't seen that specified anywhere.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Oh and one other thing - you are behind a screen - like in a bank (or how banks used to be) and they are behind a desk (like a bank teller)
The first guy who saw me was in an open necked shirt (thats all i could see!) and the second woman who saw me just had a jumper on
So, no need to wear trousers then? Sounds like the second woman didn't.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:01 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Got arrested long before getting anywhere near the embassy.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by JSL8610
Have you tried? I haven't seen that specified anywhere.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Basil

Any type of apparel that is clean and tidy will suffice. Sheet toga anyone?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Yes. Got arrested long before getting anywhere near the embassy.

Regards, JEff
Aha, so you don't know that they won't let you in then.

OP, when I was there I saw everything from torn jeans and dirty t-shirt to full suit and tie. I went for the suit trousers and shirt, no jacket or tie. Just wear whatever you're comfortable in.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid T-shirts with slogans.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:23 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a dress code as such, but frankly, in real terms, we all know that we make judgements on people by the way they look, so dressing smartly, in business/casual dress, neat and tidy will make a better impression than jeans and a tshirt. Good luck
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Go naked draped only in the American flag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.