Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What Should I Wear for My Immigration Interview?

Wikiposts

What Should I Wear for My Immigration Interview?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

oli4uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Should I Wear for My Immigration Interview?

Hey,

My interview is coming up on Monday and I was just wondering what people thought on what my attire should be for the interview.

I am undecided between smart trousers & shirt or a full suit (Probably without tie), but if anyone could tell em what the norm is it would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Oli
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Should I Wear for My Immigration Interview?

Originally Posted by oli4uk
Hey,

My interview is coming up on Monday and I was just wondering what people thought on what my attire should be for the interview.

I am undecided between smart trousers & shirt or a full suit (Probably without tie), but if anyone could tell em what the norm is it would be much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Oli
Comfortable /smart
Old Feb 20th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Hey,

Kind Regards

Oli
We pretty much wore what we wear to work - so smart, (shirt & trousers but no tie for my husband). And I wore a skirt instead of my usual trousers as we were going for lunch afterwards

Good luck. What visa are you interviewing for?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Doublet and hose and be sure to carry a large Union Jack flag to let 'em know what's what.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 1:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering what people thought on what my attire should be for the interview.
Most people dress according to the importance of the occasion. You have to decide how important this interview is.

C'mon... 'fess up! You didn't really need to ask us, did you? You already knew the answer, right?

Ian
Old Feb 20th 2010, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

oli4uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I was fairly sure what the answer would be, but I think on this kind of occasion it is best to be sure!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Wear clothes. Beyond that it doesn't matter much.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:49 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by henryh
For what is worth there was a piece of paper taped to my n-400 interviewer's desk in Houston, It stated, "No Jeans or flip-flops allowed"

I don't know the enforcement on this, but the smart thing to do is dress as if going to a job interview or similar important occasion.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:51 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
In my 29 years of practice, I have rarely met the USCIS or DOS officer that did not somehow feel that s/he was somehow single-handedly responsible for the safety and security of the republic. Rightly or wrongly, these folks have a very high-and-mighty view of their purpose, and they take their jobs quite seriously. With that in mind, a business-visa applicant should wear a business suit. A student or visitor visa applicant is OK with business casual or "pretend-it's-a-job-interview" clothing.

Anything less is really pulling the tiger's tail.