Wikiposts

what should i do???

Old May 1st 2002, 3:40 am
Justin Parmente

Default what should i do???

My wife and I are moving from Phoenix to Charlotte. In Phoenix, my wife is about 1.5
years alone in the AOS process (which averages 4 years). When we get to Charlotte,
we're putting our stuff in storage and going to Turkey for 6 weeks. We will not look
for housing until we return.

My question is this: Should we attempt to explain this to the INS in lieu of a
change of address form? After all, we will be without a permanent address for 6
weeks. I seriously doubt they will attempt to mail us anything during that time. Are
we safe just waiting until we get back and get an apartment and then filing for
change of address?

Justin

Old May 1st 2002, 11:10 am
Des

Default Re: what should i do???

Justin,

given that Phoenix approval times average 4 years, and you have only been waiting for
1.5, INS might not send you anything while you are away for those 6 weeks.

However, how about solving the problem by getting a postbox in Charlotte for a couple
of months, and having Phoenix forward all your mail to the Charlotte PO address? That
way, you're not going to miss any letters at all, and can send the change of address
to INS after you move into your new apartment.

- Des

Old May 1st 2002, 6:10 pm
Justin Parmente

des:

do you mean file a change of address to the p.o. box, then file another change of
address to our new permanent address later on?

justin

Old May 2nd 2002, 4:40 am
Des

justin:

I wasn't very clear - sorry. The idea is to NOT send the INS any information at all
until after you have safely settled into your new Charlotte life.

Just on the off-chance that INS happens to send you a letter during your time away,
you could establish the PO box in Charlotte and set up mail forwarding with your
local post office in Phoenix. Forwarding is usually free of charge. These moving
packages are available at your local post office...

But I would certainly not confuse the INS by sending them TWO address changes within
6 or 7 weeks, one change will be hard enough for them to keep track of...

- Des