Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What a roller coaster ride

What a roller coaster ride

Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a roller coaster ride

Hello all - firstly thank you so much for your replies - it does really help!

Im still in UK - been told we are on the "home run" now so im going to hang about. I do have a quick immigration query tho which I hope someone can confirm/put right my thinking

I understand that one can be out of the USA for up to 6 months in any given year without it affecting your status.

Im a conditional PR having arrived in US 16 March last year on a K1

In 2011 I was back in the UK due to mum's illness on 3 occasions (after I received AP and then GC) for 22 days, 35 days and 12 days respectively

This year I have been back for 3 trips - one of 13 days in January one of 16 days in March and I have been here since April 9th. I was due to go back last Sunday but changed my ticket to next sunday and will no doubt have to change it again...I imagine i will be here another couple of weeks at least

From what I have read I wont have issues at immigration because of this ...they did ask me last time (and the time before) why I was in UK and this time I have a letter from mums doc anyway

thanks all
PS -if i have any more Toby Carvery's I will be the size of a small island
Old Apr 24th 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming

Im still in UK - been told we are on the "home run" now so im going to hang about. I do have a quick immigration query tho which I hope someone can confirm/put right my thinking

I understand that one can be out of the USA for up to 6 months in any given year without it affecting your status.

In 2011 I was back in the UK due to mum's illness on 3 occasions (after I received AP and then GC) for 22 days, 35 days and 12 days respectively

This year I have been back for 3 trips - one of 13 days in January one of 16 days in March and I have been here since April 9th. I was due to go back last Sunday but changed my ticket to next sunday and will no doubt have to change it again...I imagine i will be here another couple of weeks at least

From what I have read I wont have issues at immigration because of this ...they did ask me last time (and the time before) why I was in UK and this time I have a letter from mums doc anyway

thanks all
Sorry that your Mum is not doing so good. BA were very good with me last year when my Mum passed away. I had booked a return for 3 weeks away because my Mum was in hospital and not expected to last very long. She hung on a bit longer than we expected her to and then I needed to extent the ticket by another 10 days when she did pass away. I did explain the circumstances to BA, and all they needed was to see a copy of the DC. No extra to pay whatsoever. A letter from the Doc is useful to have if needed. Try the chip shop instead of the carvery. Cheaper anyway. Hope your Mum's health improves soon.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all
Hi CAdreaming, tough stuff, chin up. Guess this all makes us stronger.

Maybe, chin up & lips closed, then you won't keeping eating

Can't see any problems with immigration, though having letter from mothers doctor, in case they mention, very wise.
Even immigration agents have family & feelings one would hope.

Best wishes to you & your family

Frank R.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Sorry that your Mum is not doing so good. BA were very good with me last year when my Mum passed away. I had booked a return for 3 weeks away because my Mum was in hospital and not expected to last very long. She hung on a bit longer than we expected her to and then I needed to extent the ticket by another 10 days when she did pass away. I did explain the circumstances to BA, and all they needed was to see a copy of the DC. No extra to pay whatsoever. A letter from the Doc is useful to have if needed. Try the chip shop instead of the carvery. Cheaper anyway. Hope your Mum's health improves soon.
Thank you so much!! Sorry to hear about your mum....The Carvery is only £5.95!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frrussre
Hi CAdreaming, tough stuff, chin up. Guess this all makes us stronger.

Maybe, chin up & lips closed, then you won't keeping eating

Can't see any problems with immigration, though having letter from mothers doctor, in case they mention, very wise.
Even immigration agents have family & feelings one would hope.

Best wishes to you & your family

Frank R.
hi Frank R! Thanks so much for your good wishes and hope things are going ok with yours! yep i thought the letter would help and good advice about chin up and lips closed...we've had another carvery tonight!!!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

hi Frank R! Thanks so much for your good wishes and hope things are going ok with yours! yep i thought the letter would help and good advice about chin up and lips closed...we've had another carvery tonight!!!
I noticed when I go to restaurants in UK, they are now serving, American size plates of food. Everything comes up on huge oval platters.

They then force you to eat it all, or can't have dessert

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

After 10 long weeks mum passed peacefully away earlier today. It was a blessing to spend the time with her looking after. She was a wonderful mum and made it to her 85th birthday yesterday.
Sleep well my darling mum
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

After 10 long weeks mum passed peacefully away earlier today. It was a blessing to spend the time with her looking after. She was a wonderful mum and made it to her 85th birthday yesterday.
Sleep well my darling mum
Sorry to hear the news...my condolences to you and your family.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that CAdreaming but I'm glad it was peaceful and you were able to spend time with her.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:17 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry to hear she's gone, but how wonderful that you could spend all that time with her. I pray I can manage something similar for my parents (also now in their 80s) when the time arrives. . . .
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry that your Mum has passed away. It's never easy to let your parents go. I'm glad you were able to spend some time with her.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that she passed away - I am sure you were a great comfort to her during those last few weeks - RIP.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:41 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to chim in after getting an email alert about this thread......My heart is with you girl, I am going to England again on Thursday moving back to be with my Mum and putting my life on hold, what ever pain you are feeling I feel it for you.....God Bless
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I just wanted to chim in after getting an email alert about this thread......My heart is with you girl, I am going to England again on Thursday moving back to be with my Mum and putting my life on hold, what ever pain you are feeling I feel it for you.....God Bless
There you are...I was wondering what was going on as I haven't heard from you for weeks.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

condolences to you & your family.

I know its been a tough ten weeks, happy you could be there with your dear old mum.

Best Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.