Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What questions do they ask at the final interview?

Wikiposts

What questions do they ask at the final interview?

Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:39 am
Just Joined

houstonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud of
Default What questions do they ask at the final interview?

What questions do they ask at the final interview (after the medical)? The confirmation letter advises to set aside two to three hours? Why?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What questions do they ask at the final interview?

queuing
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:09 am
Just Joined

houstonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud ofhoustonlove has much to be proud of

Thanks, but what do they ask ... really? Is this an episode of 20 questions where they go through your entire DS-260 questionnaire and try to trick you or something simple?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Normal questions, nothing tricky. Nothing you won't know the answer to, if the relationship is real.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by houstonlove
Thanks, but what do they ask ... really? Is this an episode of 20 questions where they go through your entire DS-260 questionnaire and try to trick you or something simple?
It's usually a bit like this:

most often like the first version but, occasionally, it ends up being one of the others ...
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

We are waiting on the LND to book the medical, and I've scanned through various forums and have come up with just a little list for us of all the questions people have reported being asked (at interviews at London US Embassy) going back to December 2014.

1. How did you meet your spouse and what is their name?
2. What work do you intend on doing (what do you plan to do when you get to America)?
3. When did you first meet your spouse in person and where?
4. Have you met your spouses family? When and where?
5. When will you be going to America?
6. Where do you intend to live in America?
7. Who has filed for your visa?
8. Where did you get married and what was the ceremony like?
9. How long have you been married?
10. What does your spouse's mother/father do?
11. Does your spouse have any siblings?
12. What does your spouse do for a living? How long have they been doing it?
13. What have you done from the time you met until now (how have you kept the relationship going?)
14. Who is the joint sponsor on your AOS?
15. Where was your spouse born?
16. Have either of you been married before?
17. Have you ever been denied entry to the US?
18. Why do you want to move to America?

Most people were asked only a few questions, and some (usually for a fiancée visa) had up to 5-6 of these. Hope this helps!

Sarah
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:26 am
Just Joined

DrWooWoo is an unknown quantity at this point

For my interview, the questions were very basic and I spent most of the time at the embassy waiting. In my case (CR1 visa) the questions asked were:

- When and where did you get married?
- Did your spouse's family attend the wedding?
- Where did you meet your spouse?
- What does your spouse do for a living?
- Who is your joint sponsor? How are they related to you/your spouse?

Really simple stuff, and honestly nothing to worry about whatsoever!
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:03 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I had the standard 'How long have you been married, do you have kids' questions.

Other than that the only other things was helping confirm I had sufficient funds by showing the CO where it stated the outstanding balance on my mortgage, highlighting the written offer for the sale of the property and what the resulting balance would be (in dollars).
She was happy after that and I was out the door after no more than 5mins at the window.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWooWoo
For my interview, the questions were very basic and I spent most of the time at the embassy waiting. In my case (CR1 visa) the questions asked were:

- When and where did you get married?
- Did your spouse's family attend the wedding?
- Where did you meet your spouse?
- What does your spouse do for a living?
- Who is your joint sponsor? How are they related to you/your spouse?

Really simple stuff, and honestly nothing to worry about whatsoever!
Mine was a CR-1 too. The questions were few, and easy to answer. Overall the "interview" gave the impression of making small talk while the consular official shuffled paper and ticked boxes. I think that describing it as an "interview", certainly in my case, was misleading.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much. Sarah, your list certainly helps a lot.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Start queuing at 7.45 about 20 people ahead, lady ticks your name off and sends you to the air port security style hut. After clearing security i struggled to open the door to exit. I see a switch on the wall so assume that releases the door...... it turned the lights off. And you pull the door. Bad start.

Inside another lady took the appointment letter and stuck my number to look out for on the form (I909) the N numbers had got to N22 before a I901 started. I probably waited 30 minutes to be called to the first booth. An English gentleman, this threw me. Took ds160, payment forms, passport, police certificate, long birth certificate, 1 photo and the affidavit with support (2 pay slips and a letter from employer). Didn't ask any difficult questions, all very pleasant. I go sit back down and wait for I909 to appear again.

I909!!!!! ITS THE MOMENT OF TRUTH! To the interview woman. Raise my right hand and say i do. (That i will tell the truth) she could not have been a lovelier lady. She asked how we met, how did we keep in contact, had we met each others parents, all in a way that she genuinely wanted to know the story. There was about a minute pause where your not sure whats she's looking at the screen and then..... "i am happy to approve that"
Old May 2nd 2015, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stribs
I probably waited 30 minutes to be called to the first booth. An English gentleman, this threw me.
It shouldn't have - many of the admin staff are local employees.
There was about a minute pause where your not sure whats she's looking at the screen
Probably checking her email or updating her Facebook status ...
Old May 2nd 2015, 6:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
..... Probably checking her email or updating her Facebook status .....
Or cross checking the applicant against BE forum posts.