Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What preperations need to be done and a couple of Qs to clear up?

Wikiposts

What preperations need to be done and a couple of Qs to clear up?

Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What preperations need to be done and a couple of Qs to clear up?

Hi again...

We are a time off being able to start the process, but is there any preperations that we could be doing before my USC GF begins to file for visa to enable me to marry her in the USA....

I am still wading through many threads and finding peices of really good info, but my head is spinning with all the I numbers....lol

Is my understanding of the CR1 correct.....that is only filed if married already and outside the country??? slightly confused....I know the K1 has to be filed prior to me arriving and marrying and to clarify once K1 issued and have gone there and marryed I can remain with her and just apply for for ssn and removal of some conditions...

sorry if I seem to cover the same things as a few posts ago, but I am ensuring that my mind is following this all the way before we start and at least we have less chance of mistakes on the way...

thanks again
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What preperations need to be done and a couple of Qs to clear up?

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Hi again...

We are a time off being able to start the process, but is there any preperations that we could be doing before my USC GF begins to file for visa to enable me to marry her in the USA....

I am still wading through many threads and finding peices of really good info, but my head is spinning with all the I numbers....lol

Is my understanding of the CR1 correct.....that is only filed if married already and outside the country??? slightly confused....I know the K1 has to be filed prior to me arriving and marrying and to clarify once K1 issued and have gone there and marryed I can remain with her and just apply for for ssn and removal of some conditions...

sorry if I seem to cover the same things as a few posts ago, but I am ensuring that my mind is following this all the way before we start and at least we have less chance of mistakes on the way...

thanks again
Wolfy, try this for a comparison of 2 marriage based visas side by side:

Comparison of marriage-based visas

Maybe that will help.
All visas have to be petitioned ahead of time and once that's approved, applied for and issued OUTside the US.

Once you have the correct visa, you can stay in the US after arriving (there may be more paperwork to file but you can stay in the US to do it).
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In other words, K-1 visa.

You can make sure you have your long-form birth certificate. You can go to www.uscis.gov and start filling in the G-325A form you'll need to give her. You can write out your statement of intent (but don't sign and date it until closer to filing I-129F). She can go to www.uscis.gov and start filling in the I-129F and reading the instructions for the I-129F to make sure she has everything she needs. You and she can both start gathering the proof that you've met in person within the past two years. That's about all you can do for now.

Is my understanding of the CR1 correct.....that is only filed if married already and outside the country???
That's correct. The CR-1 Immigrant Visa is for those who are already married.

I know the K1 has to be filed prior to me arriving and marrying and to clarify once K1 issued and have gone there and marryed I can remain with her and just apply for for ssn
SSN is only a minor part of what you do after coming to the USA on the K-1 and getting married. After marriage, you will file a new set of forms for your Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident which ultimately gives you a green card. But you are correct, once you arrive on the K-1, marry, and file AOS, you can stay in the USA.

and removal of some conditions...
This part won't happen until you've been a PR for almost 2 years, no need to worry about this part just yet.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 20th 2010 at 4:36 am.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Rene, you just saved the OP from having to read another of my rambling K1 posts

And you managed to cover everything much better than I could anyway.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Rene, you just saved the OP from having to read another of my rambling K1 posts

And you managed to cover everything much better than I could anyway.
Sorry sultan......its just that if I can get it straight in my head with all the other reading im doing then I can explain as my GF is trying her best bless her to understand...Have you got any thing to read on the understanding and how to work it out of the I-864?....thast my next question....lol
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry sultan......its just that if I can get it straight in my head with all the other reading im doing then I can explain as my GF is trying her best bless her to understand...Have you got any thing to read on the understanding and how to work it out of the I-864?....thast my next question....lol
Wolfy,

The I-864 comes later, during your AOS, after you arrive in the USA and get married.

The Affidavit of Support the USC will need to fill out for your K-1 visa is the I-134. The I-134 can be found at www.uscis.gov, Forms. I-134 and instructions are there, that's the best place to go read up on it.

Rene
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry sultan......its just that if I can get it straight in my head with all the other reading im doing then I can explain as my GF is trying her best bless her to understand...Have you got any thing to read on the understanding of the I-864?....thast my next question....lol
No need to be sorry - trust me. I tend to get lengthy in my responses sometimes.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:59 am

Here are the links you guys need to read regarding the I-129F and Affidavit of Support:

I-129F: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
G-325A: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
I-134: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

First read the I-129F instructions. It tells you everything you need to submit with the I-129F package. The I-134 is due at the time of your interview, you bring it with you to your interview.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 20th 2010 at 5:04 am.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here are the links you guys need to read regarding the I-129F and Affidavit of Support:

I-129F: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
G-325A: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
I-134: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

First read the I-129F instructions. It tells you everything you need to submit with the I-129F package. The I-134 is due at the time of your interview, you bring it with you to your interview.

Rene
And, this explains why the Consular Officer might ask for an I-134 (or something else).

Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law

I think there are a couple of wiki entries about the K-1 visa here somewhere....