Wikiposts

WHAT NEXT - LONDON

Old Apr 27th 2002, 12:10 pm
Rogerpenycate

Default WHAT NEXT - LONDON

My wife and I have filed the I-130 etc in London (the INS cashed my cheque a month
ago) Can anyone tell me what happens next, any idea of a timeline and anything else
we can be doing to prepare for future steps. I would be grateful for any ideas as my
wife is going back to Maryland, to work whilst I get this sorted out. We know about
the I-864 sponsorship form and the affadavit, which she will do before she goes and
then fax me her tax returns.
    | have also sent off to Australia and Spain for Police records.
Anything else we could be doing and what happens next. Thank you Roger + Ida

Old Apr 27th 2002, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

gilliankennedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WHAT NEXT - LONDON

hi

I have my interview for my I 130 this week - here is my timeline

end of jan 2002 sent in I 130
15th feb sent in 0F130
middle of march I 130 approved
2 weeks later received case number so I could send in OF 169
10th April got last packet of forms
Interview next week

so the whole process took just over 3 months

my husband is in the states - so we had to get our I 864 notarised before and we had problem getting a ITIN number but luckily that was resolved

just get your vaccination records, police record, and birth certificate ( showing parents names) and your ITIN number

Take Care

Gill
Old Apr 27th 2002, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

The typical timeframe from petition filing to visa is around 3 months. There are a few things you can do now to make sure you meet this date.

First, apply for your police report. This can take up to six weeks to arrive.

Send in for OF-230 part 1 to the visa branch at the consulate. This kicks of visa process ahead of petition approval.

Make sure your passport has at least 3 years (so that you will have someone who has known you for two years to countersign your next passport application) to run on it, and if not, apply for a new one.

If you want to avoid one or two vaccinations, figure out what vaccinations and diseases you've already had. The ones of interest are measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus and diptheria.

Make sure your birth certificate, marriage certificate, any divorce/death certificates from previous marriages, court records, military records are all present and correct.

Make sure that your photos for the visa are suitable.

Read thoroughly the immigrant visa section of http://www.usembassy.org.uk/
Old Apr 28th 2002, 12:40 pm
Rogerpenycate

Thanks to both of you for your help and advice (Good luck Gillian with your
interview, by the way) Can I confirm whether it is an OF130 or OF230 ? I consider
myself a reasonably intelligent "geezer" but where on earth does it mention the
OF120/OF130 on any of the application forms or details. Roger

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > The typical timeframe from petition filing to visa is around 3 months. There are a
    > few things you can do now to make sure you meet this date.
    >
    > First, apply for your police report. This can take up to six weeks to arrive.
    >
    > Send in for OF-230 part 1 to the visa branch at the consulate. This kicks of visa
    > process ahead of petition approval.
    >
    > Make sure your passport has at least 3 years (so that you will have someone who has
    > known you for two years to countersign your next passport application) to run on
    > it, and if not, apply for a new one.
    >
    > If you want to avoid one or two vaccinations, figure out what vaccinations and
    > diseases you've already had. The ones of interest are measles, mumps, rubella,
    > tetanus and diptheria.
    >
    > Make sure your birth certificate, marriage certificate, any divorce/death
    > certificates from previous marriages, court records, military records are all
    > present and correct.
    >
    > Make sure that your photos for the visa are suitable.
    >
    > Read thoroughly the immigrant visa section of http://www.usembassy.org.uk/

Old Apr 28th 2002, 12:40 pm
Rogerpenycate

Sorry, but what on earth is an ITIN number ?

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > The typical timeframe from petition filing to visa is around 3 months. There are a
    > few things you can do now to make sure you meet this date.
    >
    > First, apply for your police report. This can take up to six weeks to arrive.
    >
    > Send in for OF-230 part 1 to the visa branch at the consulate. This kicks of visa
    > process ahead of petition approval.
    >
    > Make sure your passport has at least 3 years (so that you will have someone who has
    > known you for two years to countersign your next passport application) to run on
    > it, and if not, apply for a new one.
    >
    > If you want to avoid one or two vaccinations, figure out what vaccinations and
    > diseases you've already had. The ones of interest are measles, mumps, rubella,
    > tetanus and diptheria.
    >
    > Make sure your birth certificate, marriage certificate, any divorce/death
    > certificates from previous marriages, court records, military records are all
    > present and correct.
    >
    > Make sure that your photos for the visa are suitable.
    >
    > Read thoroughly the immigrant visa section of http://www.usembassy.org.uk/

Old Apr 28th 2002, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

sorry its is an 0F230

an ITIN number is what is needed so as that your wife can file her taxes in the states. You need to apply including original documents - I sent my driving license and birth certificate. It says on the (ITIN) application that it takes 30 days - but we found out that it takes 10 weeks at the minute - and the only way I got mine was to beg a IRS official who helped us out ( we only got our ITIN last week - hence the urgency as the interview is this week and we needed the 2001 taxes filed. There is also a form in packet 4 which asks for your ITIN if you have it, so apply for it ASAP.

Gill
Old Apr 28th 2002, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

The only person who needs to file taxes as part of the process is the US citizen. US citizens need social security numbers, not ITINs. I'm sure this lady already has one.

There's no need for the immigrant to get an ITIN. They wil need to apply for a SSN once in the US.
Old Apr 28th 2002, 11:40 pm
Alvena Ferreira

ROGERPENYCATE wrote:
    > Sorry, but what on earth is an ITIN number ?
    >
http://www.irs.gov/irs/display/0,,i1...D13288,00.html

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion, in
a private communication, and should not be considered legal advice. Locate an
immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Apr 29th 2002, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

yes but in order to file a joint tax return before he enters the US and gets a social security number he will need an ITIN number - I was just entering the information incase you had an extension to file your tax for 2001.