Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the main reason for the discrepancy ? Re:AOS

Wikiposts

What is the main reason for the discrepancy ? Re:AOS

Old Jun 14th 2002, 8:20 pm
Cemboko

Default What is the main reason for the discrepancy ? Re:AOS

Does anyone know or have an idea, as to what the main reason for the huge difference
in the time it takes to have an AOS interview among different couples is? Does it
have anything to do with the nationality of the beneficiary ? Why do some people get
their AOS interviews in 3 months and some in 3 years ? Any correlation with how long
a person has been in the US before the application ?

Some people arrive in the US, they never have been here, and they are interviewed in
2 months. Some have been here on student or workers visas for 10 years and they wait
for 2-3 years. On Kamya, there are peoplewho have applied in 2000 and still waiting
whereas some couples applied 3 months ago and got their AOS interview already .

Is it all about the talents of the person who happens to take your case ?

Old Jun 14th 2002, 9:25 pm
Zareahusa

Default Re: What is the main reason for the discrepancy ? Re:AOS

I'm not sure but it might depend on the district office where you file for AOS.

Zara

Old Jun 15th 2002, 1:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

AOS scheduling is not based on the foreign spouse's nationality. The timeline for scheduling an interview is based on the number of applications the INS office receives verus the under the INS examiners employed by that particular office. Factor into the equation the efficiency of the INS office itself. Then add the geographical location in terms of where large numbers of immigrants then to migrate and you can see where the discrepancies in timelines lie.

Rete
Old Jun 17th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

"Cemboko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know or have an idea, as to what the main reason for the huge
    > difference in the time it takes to have an AOS interview among different couples
    > is? Does it have anything to do with the nationality of the

Four things:

a) Where - the local INS office plays a huge role in this
b) When - timelines change, sometimes drastically over the years. For instance, when
I filed the timeline for Arlington was close to two years, now if you file it's
closer to one year
c) Why - many offices process K-1 based applications quicker
d) INS screwups. Many people who have longer timelines than most have had the INS
screw something up - for instance, Arlington still have not managed to update
their address for me even after one letter and two personal visits (they did
temporarily get my address right on the final interview notice but the GC was sent
to my old address). I don't know for sure when my interview should have been but
from other people's timelines, I expect that cost about six months.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.