Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What if my girlfriend is already here on a TN?

Wikiposts

What if my girlfriend is already here on a TN?

Old Apr 29th 2002, 4:10 pm
Chad

Default What if my girlfriend is already here on a TN?

Would anyone know what the sequence of events would/should be if my girlfriend is
already living and working in the states on a TN visa and we want to get married?
Does she just apply for a change in status, do we have to be married first, will she
be able to work without any lapses etc. Thanks in advance CCC

Old Apr 29th 2002, 10:40 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: What if my girlfriend is already here on a TN?

Chad wrote:
    > Would anyone know what the sequence of events would/should be if my girlfriend is
    > already living and working in the states on a TN visa and we want to get married?
    > Does she just apply for a change in status, do we have to be married first, will
    > she be able to work without any lapses etc. Thanks in advance

See the Doc Steen site, "tourist adjustment" link. Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:10 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: What if my girlfriend is already here on a TN?

"Chad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Z5oz8.31091$vX.3026@rwcrnsc53...
    > Would anyone know what the sequence of events would/should be if my girlfriend is
    > already living and working in the states on a TN visa and we want to get married?
    > Does she just apply for a change in status, do we
have
    > to be married first, will she be able to work without any lapses etc.

I'm assuming you're a US citizen. Yes you'll need to get married and Alvena's given
you a good link to the process so I'll address the work without lapses part. Some
work visas (H-1B, L-1) are "dual-intent" visas - that means you can have one but
still intend to immigrate (or be in the process of immigrating) to the US. A TN visa
is not like that so as soon as she applies to adjust status technically she no longer
is in TN status and no longer has work authorization. Technically, until she has
received employment authorization (which she can apply for with the adjustment of
status paperwork) she is not allowed to work. In practice the employer's won't know -
to them her status is the same and TN visa holders all over the US have carried on
working between applying for AOS and getting the work authorization.

BTW, in a few offices, work authorization is given the day you apply in which case
this becomes a non-issue. Here's another site that might be useful:

http://www.geocities.com/immigration_helpsite/index.htm

Andy.

P.S. Make sure you all understand about advance parole!

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.