Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What happens after entering to the US ???

What happens after entering to the US ???

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

corazonalegre1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What happens after entering to the US ???

Hello Everybody:
My wife and I recently finished with the visa process (including the interview), and my wife was allowed to enter the US this month (Feb2005). Thnks in advance for your congratulations and good luck to all still waiting.

With all the planning and anticipation I actually never got informed about what comes next. Now that my wife is here I am not sure what to do. I know what to expect somehow,but not entirely sure about what to do.

1) I was told that my wife will received a welcoming letter from immigration, is this true? and will a number be included in this letter?

2) She did not received an I-94 slip when entering via Houston, is this correct?, she got her visa, class CR1 stamped with the day of entry though.

3) We checked the box for an automatic Social Security application in one of the forms given at the embassy. Is there a phone where I can check the progress of the social security?

4) I was told that I need the green card to apply for a social security. The class CR1 on her visa meant nothing to the Social Security office i went to. If this is true, when and how will she receive her green card? is there a phone number to check all this progress?

Thanks in advance for your help, this forum had help me through the ordeal of bringing my wife here and for that I am very greatful to all.

Some info from my interview: The interview took place at the embassy of the US in Lima, Peru. Our interview was scheduled very early but when we got there there was maybe 10 people waiting already. After an hour we were called to one of the windows where a lady asked for the proper documentation, passport, medical tests, complete form, and only photographs as proof or our relationship, she asked some basic questions about how we met and when did we get married. After another wait (45min), we got called inside a small room where the embassy officer was waiting, she asked the same couple of questions, returned the pictures and approved the visa.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens after entering to the US ???

The welcome letter which some get and some don't is a prelude to the actual green card arriving in the mail. It will be sent to the address your wife affirmed as where she will be living in the US when she entered the US. It should be on the paperwork that was part of her US Consulate interview.

As for the social security card, checking the box might and then again, might not, result in a social security card. It appears that you have gone to the social security office already in person to check on your wife's social security card. Did you just go to speak with someone or did your wife apply a second time. There is an 1-800 number for SSA and can be found in your local phone book in the blue page section. Don't know how helpful they will be. My suggestion is to wait for a few weeks and if nothing shows up, then have her reapply in person at the social security office. However, if the clerk does not know what a CR-1 is, demand to see a supervisor.

Originally Posted by corazonalegre1
Hello Everybody:
My wife and I recently finished with the visa process (including the interview), and my wife was allowed to enter the US this month (Feb2005). Thnks in advance for your congratulations and good luck to all still waiting.

With all the planning and anticipation I actually never got informed about what comes next. Now that my wife is here I am not sure what to do. I know what to expect somehow,but not entirely sure about what to do.

1) I was told that my wife will received a welcoming letter from immigration, is this true? and will a number be included in this letter?

2) She did not received an I-94 slip when entering via Houston, is this correct?, she got her visa, class CR1 stamped with the day of entry though.

3) We checked the box for an automatic Social Security application in one of the forms given at the embassy. Is there a phone where I can check the progress of the social security?

4) I was told that I need the green card to apply for a social security. The class CR1 on her visa meant nothing to the Social Security office i went to. If this is true, when and how will she receive her green card? is there a phone number to check all this progress?

Thanks in advance for your help, this forum had help me through the ordeal of bringing my wife here and for that I am very greatful to all.

Some info from my interview: The interview took place at the embassy of the US in Lima, Peru. Our interview was scheduled very early but when we got there there was maybe 10 people waiting already. After an hour we were called to one of the windows where a lady asked for the proper documentation, passport, medical tests, complete form, and only photographs as proof or our relationship, she asked some basic questions about how we met and when did we get married. After another wait (45min), we got called inside a small room where the embassy officer was waiting, she asked the same couple of questions, returned the pictures and approved the visa.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 23rd 2005 at 9:42 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:25 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What happens after entering to the US ???

Originally Posted by corazonalegre1
Hello Everybody:

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

First thing is she needs to allow at least 3 weeks to see if the Enumeration At Entry process works. If she doesn't receive her SSN card within 3 weeks or at least by time she receives her I-551 card if you wait a little longer, it's time to head on down to your friendly neighborhood SSA office.

Find office:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

If she has been assigned an SSN the office can provide her with the number. However, it is has been over 14 days from the day the SSN was assigned and she hasn't received the card she will probably need to apply for a replacement card.

Have her take proof of age, identity and work authorized alien status. Proof of age is not needed for a replacement card.

Birth certificate, passport and I-551 card or MRIV with temporary I-551 language should be enough to take into the SSA office. (I'm assuming married name's on the MRIV)

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410
RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence

B. KINDS OF EVIDENCE ESTABLISHING LAPR STATUS

-- I-551, Permanent Resident Card
-- Machine Readable Immigrant Visa with Temporary I-551 Language

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number ("A" number) as the "Registration Number" in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

If she applys in the SSA office for an original SSN or replacement card the SSA office will try to verify her status through the SAVE system while she is in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845 to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the assigning of an SSN and/or issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

Note: When info is entered into SAVE have the SSA office make sure they format the "A" number correctly.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, I suggest that she go back to the
SSA office every couple weeks with her documents to (1) ask them to
check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come
back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by
calling or sending another mark "second request."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720
RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735
RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

A. PROCEDURE—COMPLETING THE ONLINE SAVE SCREEN

STEP 3

NOTE: When the "A" number on the immigration document has 8 or fewer digits, enter leading zeros on the SAVE query screen so that nine digits are entered.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740
RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

After 30 days she can even try calling the immigration office doing the
verification to ask if they received a G-845 and if yes could they please get it back to the SSA office ASAP.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203748
RM 00203.748 List of DHS, USCIS Offices That Verify Immigration
Documents

If they say they never received one, go back to the SSA office and ask
to speak with the office manager and insist that they send another G-845
marked "second request."

After having waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem too concerned she can try contacting the SSA Regional Office (RO) responsible for your state:

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/natlpocontacts.html

Refer them to this:

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

B. PROCEDURE – HOW TO REQUEST MANUAL VERIFICATION

STEP 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration
Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS.

Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS. Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.�) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by
mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the RO. Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203001
RM 00203.001 Evidence Required for an SSN Card

C. POLICY - EVIDENCE FOR AN ORIGINAL OR NEW SSN

1. Work Authorized SSN Card

An alien allowed to work must provide evidence establishing age,
identity and work authorized lawful alien status.
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203020
RM 00203.020 Number of Documents Required for an SSN Card

2. Original (and new SSNs)

At least two documents are required and should be requested.

b. Aliens

A foreign born individual should always be requested to submit a foreign
birth certificate if one is in his/her possession or if one can be
easily obtained. However, if a foreign birth certificate does not exist
or cannot be obtained, accept alternative evidence of age.

The DHS document (e.g., I-551, I-94, or an employment authorization
document) establishes lawful alien status or work authorization and
either identity or age. If the DHS document is used to establish alien
status and identity, the alien must provide another document, such as a
passport or birth certificate, to establish age. Conversely, if the INS
document is used to establish alien status and age, a second document,
such as a passport or driver's license, is required to establish
identity
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200
RM 00203.200 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203030
RM 00203.030 Requesting Documents for an SSN Card

B. POLICY - FORM OF EVIDENCE

Evidence must be:

The original document, or a copy certified by the issuing agency or custodian of the original record. Uncertified photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

A receipt from DHS showing the alien applied for the document is also
not acceptable. The applicant must present the actual document.
Make sure the person processing the original SSN or replacement card application codes the "PRA" field with a "Y", so that she receives an unrestricted SSN card.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202230
RM 00202.230 Form SS-5 - Evidence Blocks (PBC, EVI, EVA, EVC, and PRA)

B. PROCEDURE

5. Completing the PRA (Permanent Resident Alien) Block

You must complete this block.

If acceptable evidence of permanent resident alien status or a permanent employment authorization was submitted, enter “Y� in the PRA block.