British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   what happenned in london (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/what-happenned-london-129665/)

mrsstrickland Jan 30th 2003 8:05 am

what happenned in london

Well as you all may already know i decided to drive down to London for my interview, the trains didnt get me there on time, it was too expensive to fly, so after exhausting all options, i decided to drive, so i hired a car filled it full of petrol on tuesday, and decided that we should leave at 12midnight, its a 320 drive to london from where i live, and AA autoroute predicted five and a half hour drive, so not wanting to take any chances we left early. the roads were empty, which was great, i decided to park the car at heathrow and take the tube into green park, so we arrived at heathrow 5am, i parked the car and we headed to look for the underground, after about 15mins, we found it, i went to the ticket desk, as those machines are just wild and i didnt have a clue what i needed, i just knew where i needed to go. So the ticket officer number crnched on her calculator, started to print off 8 tickets, with a price of £20. we proceeded to the tube, they run every 5 mins from heathrow, its great.
My kids started to panic as they have never been in an undergound before and the noise was deafening, and of course they were both shouting for breakfast. So after an hour we arrived at green park, we changed lines and took another to oxford street, i checked the time it was 7.15 so we called in a the golden M for breakfast, as ive heard you guys so many times talking about getting there early for the queue, we quickly ate and headed for the doctors.

DOCTORS

At precisely 8am, the doors openned, we all went into the waiting room, there was about 15 of us, the room was quiet, the lady behind the counter came in with the red folders told us to put in the info they required, so i was all prepared, i added my passport and questionaire and vaccination info and the pics.
I was called 4th to the desk. they started to call names on that excuse for a tannoy, which broke the ice with the people in the room. I went to the desk signed the front of the photos and paid the money, she gave me my file and sent me down the stairs, with the kids. We waited in the room and her a girl screaming and i though oh no, whats the deal, the guys on the board never mentioned nothing like this. My daughter needed the loo, so when she came out, she said mam thats not a toilet its an air raid shelter, she was horrified...lol. They called my name and she told the kids to wait for me in the room, I sat in that lovely leather chair and in about 3 mins the nurse told me she was done, i couldnt believe it, i honestly never felt a thing, the alchohol wipe she used after the injection stung more than the needle, i went back into the room and waited for the next bit.
After about 5 mins the guy called for us as a family, we were to see the female doctor, she was lovely, excellant bed side manner, she scanned thru the kids forms, checked breathing and vaccinations, my dauhter needs a polio, so she gave me a piece of paper to take to the doctors. She asked of the children would wait for me upstairs as they had passed. So they went out and climbed the stairs to the waiting room. I was then usherred into the area with the cubicle with the swing doors to strip to the waist and stop at the skin and put on the paper gown, oh how flatterring, he took me into the room and got my xray done, he then told me to wait back in the cubicle for to see the doctor. I waited about 5mins then the doctor came to collect me, looked at my vaccination record, and my questionaire gave me a lecture about smoking and having asthma, and laughed ' how many times have you heard that'. She did the breast exam and checked my breathing, everything was fine. was told i was okay so i could go back and get ready. Mr Happy came along with my rolled up x-ray and told me to keep it in my hand luggage when i flew. So i hurridly got ready collected the kids and headed to the embassy.

Embassy

We got the embassy no problem, and waited for 15mins for someone to collect my letter, by this time i felt sick with nerves.
they got my letter and told me to sit down, they hadnt completed the people yet from the 8am lot yet. I waited for what seemed like an eternity, but actually was an hour, i was called to the desk, now i used to pride myself on how efficient i am when it comes to presenting paperwork, i had 1 file with originals, 1 with copies, 1 with 6 affradavits, it clearly says 1 for each person and as i had to have a co-sponsor, i had 6 I-134's. So he asked me for my originals and i placed em on the desk, i didnt need my hubbies divorce papers, then he asked for my copies and my passports and the affradavit, just one, which was mine.
he told me to go back and sit down.
So by now i though well, just a procedure, i have to get passed this part to get home, thinking i needed to collect the blue form.
There were three of the morning people who got blue forms.
So i chewed a few nails, and tried to unfluster my daughter who had rosy red cheeks due to the air con running on full, my son never got phased by the whole deal, he sat patiently playing on his gameboy. So i saw my folder being moved over to the other desk, and since no-one had been called for at least 15mins i thought they must have been on a coffee break.
So when they came back to the desk, he collected my file and took another age looking at my documents, he kept looking over and staring, which was making me more nervous, he was fumbling around and was discussing with the other guy. So then after about 10 more mins, by this time it was 11.30, he called for the family to the desk. We went over, and he said very nice to meet you Mrs Strickland, do you know you are famous in this office, and as i frowned i asked how so. He proceeded to tell me about an email i had wrote to them about when i got my fingerprints done, he explained that they had the info already on their computers about my refusal at Baltimore, and that they had to have my file from the FBI to make sure it was the same, i cintinued to tell him, that after all my emails and calls, the only person who actually decided to explain it to me fully, was the guy who took my prints at the embassy. So he continued to prepare my paperwork, and fussed aroound with it for a further five mins and said so what does Billy Joe doe for a living, My daughter asked who is Billy Joe, i nearly died where i stood, the guy proceeded to say well what do you call him, shesaid dad or just billy, he went on to explain to her that american men are often called by their first and middle name. My son was on his toes trying to see what was going on, so i thought to myself is this where they tell me and give me my blue form. He went on to tell my medical results had returned and i had passed. He continued to tell me that they had to move people at lunchtime to cover the visa issues, to make them and all. So by this time i thought to myself, they are going to make me wait time later to tell me. But no this was not to happen. He told me to take the kids for a long lunch and return to collect my visa, i nearly dropped where i stood. I can honestly say i didnt expect it. I said thankyou and hustled the kids to collect their stuff, i had to get to my mobile phone, which was at the security guy, the kids triggerred off the machine with their gameboys, i ran out and called my hubbie, and told him i needed a flight home, he shouted his whole family awake, and i could hear them all screaming in joy in the background, he asked if i had it in my hand, and i said no not yet, and after all this time he said, well theres still time yet for them to screw us over again, i was never asked any questions.
So i took the kids shopping and we returned to the embassy at 12.30, just got through the door and they called me to the desk, the guy explained that my K-3 is multiple entry and the adjustment thing and to hand my beautiful brown envelope at the port of entry, and to have a very happy first anniversary. I said thankyou and started to jump around in the office like a looney. We left and headed back for the tube to take us back for the car.

I tok my ticket out of my jacket and placed it in the machine at heathrow and was charged £31.50 parking costs, i couldnt believe it, but i paid the money and went and collected the car, called the hubbie again and told him i was heading back home.
It was such a long drive home, and i was extremely tired, and eating those pro-plus pills to stay awake, eventually i got home, and collapsed in a heap, until my last set of tablets kicked in, it was 11.30 before i got to bed.

And im returning home Wednesday the 5th of feb.

Thanks to all you guys for your support and answers, and for those who are waiting, never give up hope, your day will come, whether its 6 months, 6 weeks, when all is said and done you will get there, as i sit here and write this i still cant believe it, im going home.

Oh and patrick, the pirates came last night and spilt snow all over the ground...lol

thanks again

dee

Patrick Jan 30th 2003 8:15 am

Of all the people on the NG you have been the one I wanted to hear that you had your visa the most. You have suffered more than anyone should be forced to suffer and treated pretty badly by the US government and the INS. People on this NG seem to get uptight about a couple of months wait which is nowhere near what you have done. You are an inspiration.

Good Luck and God Bless and I bet there is a huge pile of washing up waiting to be done, well you haven't been home for so long - you don't expect the man to do it do you?

Patrick

Wow I just noticed, I now have 4 stars, maybe I can cook the burgers now!

PeteJ Jan 30th 2003 9:01 am

Congratulations!!! I was so glad to read that you got your K-3 after such a lot of perseverance and INS screw-ups...

You can have your family back together again now.....

Congtratulations once again - have a safe trip.

Pete

katesuiter1 Jan 30th 2003 9:09 am

Yay, Dee!!!! Great story, and many congrats on getting your visas!!! Best wishes for the future to all your family!
Kate. xxxx:D:D:D

sal_whit Jan 30th 2003 10:57 am

I actually had tears of joy in my eyes for you!!! Like most of the ng posters I too was praying real hard for you!!!
I will be thinking of you on the 5th when you fly home!!!
All the best in your future.

Sal

foley Jan 30th 2003 12:16 pm

Many congratulations to you Mrsstrickland. You sure deserve this.

Happy anniversary and journey mercies.

Scout Jan 30th 2003 12:17 pm

I am truely all choked up with tears in my eyes too. I am so glad this was finally able to happen for you. Welcome home.

Cheers,

Leslie

keatslamia Jan 30th 2003 1:02 pm

congratulations, i wish to add my tears to the rest of them...you do indeed deserve this...
best wishes to you and your family, and welcome home
colleen

abba48uk Jan 30th 2003 2:12 pm

Best wishes to you and your family, so pleased to read your story, especially the sabotaging daughter....lol

Julie & Andy

dazeychain Jan 30th 2003 3:03 pm

Re: what happenned in london

That's amazing, Dee. Congratulations to you, you certainly deserve this.

Enjoy!

Peace,

D.

Folinskyinla Jan 30th 2003 3:04 pm

Originally posted by mrsstrickland
So i chewed a few nails, and tried to unfluster my daughter who had rosy red cheeks due to the air con running on full, my son never got phased by the whole deal, he sat patiently playing on his gameboy.

nd said so what does Billy Joe doe for a living, My daughter asked who is Billy Joe, i nearly died where i stood, the guy proceeded to say well what do you call him, shesaid dad or just billy, he went on to explain to her that american men are often called by their first and middle name.
Hi:

Congratulations.

Your boy must be quite cute if they let him take the game boy in. It should have gone in the desk with the cellphone. [BTW, some consulates won't even let you take the devices into the building. But where that is true, there are enterprising people who rent storage lockers across the street!].

The two name this is quite regional in the US -- from the old Confederacy generally.

ScarlettHill Jan 30th 2003 3:49 pm

So very, very pleased you have come to the end of your long wait.

Many congratulations!

Now GET PACKING!!!!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

katnap8 Jan 30th 2003 3:50 pm

Congratulations and Best Wishes... I had tears in my eyes just reading your story and I don't think I even know half of what you went through to get the visas. Anyway, that part is over now and you're on your way home to the US in less than a weeks time.

Good luck

Kat and Chris

Pete F Jan 30th 2003 5:53 pm

Dee.. I can only Echo what Patrick said. I knew we had to keep you busy with paperwork up to the day if only to keep your Sanity not knowing.. :-)
But to hear that you didnt get that nasty blue form was so much of a relief. Carla and I were so relieved when we read your message.

As Scarlett says.. Get packing!!!

If you dont yet have the tickets... try www.travelocity.co.uk and also www.travelselect.com
BUT also try the high street shops too .

Love and Hugs...

Pete & Carla

dbark Jan 30th 2003 5:56 pm

Well done Dee,

It is so heart-warming reading a happy ending to the long long wait you have had... here's wishing you and Mr Strickland and the children all the best in your future together!!

Love,

Debbie :)