What Happened?????

Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:09 am
Spyros

Default What Happened?????

My wife (US Citizen) and I just went for our adjustment of status interview in NYC
from a K1 visa. We meticulously prepared all our documents plus photo albums etc etc.
When we were called in for the interview, the agent asked to see the affidavit of
support, and since my wife did not make enough money (she was a student last year) we
were co-sponsored by her father and submitted that. To our amazement, the agent asked
if we had my wife's father birth certificate to verify that he is an American
citizen!! WE did not have the certificate and now, I have to go back to INS on either
Friday or MOnday, submit this form, and then wait another 60-90 days for an answer...
I am a little upset because it did not state on the checklist we received that we had
to submit a birth certificate of the co-sponsor..... if we knew we would have
obviously done something about it.... does anybody know whether its normal?? Maybe I
made a mistake, however, we brought all the documents that were asked from the
checklist..... Furthermore, the agent asked to submit two pictures, one during the
ceremony that's facing the camera (which we do not have, because they are all profile
pictures) and one after the ceremony.....Why don't they state this on the
checklist?????

Hope everyone's well, and have a nice day.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 5:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: What Happened?????

"spyros" <[email protected]> wrote:

> my wife did not make enough money (she was a student last year) we were
    > co-sponsored by her father and submitted that. To our amazement, the agent asked if
    > we had my wife's father birth certificate to verify that he is an American
    > citizen!! WE did not have the certificate and now, I have to go back to INS on
    > either Friday or MOnday, submit this form, and then wait another 60-90 days for an
    > answer... I am a little upset because it did not state on the checklist we received
    > that we had to submit a birth certificate of the co-sponsor..... if we knew we
    > would have obviously done something about it.... does anybody know whether its
    > normal?? Maybe I made a mistake, however, we brought all

Sorry, but you goofed. The instructions for the I-864 clearly state that a joint
sponsor needs to provide proof of citizenship (which it goes on to say is copy of a
birth certificate, passport or naturalization certificate for US citizens or a copy
of the greencard for permanent residents).

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 5:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen posts from others that stated that they were asked for the BC or passport or alien registration card of the co-sponsor. Does it mention it in the I-864?

As for the photographs, yes NYC does this. I knew it and had scanned in two photographs onto my computer and printed them out in color and put them with the pile of copies for the INS file. When the DOA asked us to select two that they could keep from our album I directed her to the section in her file that contained two photos from the album.

Did they say why you have to wait 60-90 days for answer? If you are giving them to the DAO that examined you, why the wait?
Old Jun 17th 2002, 10:20 am
Mrtravel

Rete wrote:
    >
    > I have seen posts from others that stated that they were asked for the BC or
    > passport or alien registration card of the co-sponsor. Does it mention it in
    > the I-864?

Yes, it is in the instructiions, since you have to be a citizen or PR to submit an
I-864 as a cosponsor.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 2:20 pm
Spyros

> Did they say why you have to wait 60-90 days for answer? If you are giving them to
    > the DAO that examined you, why the wait?

Thank you for the replies.... I am not that annoyed about what happened, and Andy was
right, however, if my wife's father has to notarize and affidavit of support which
part of the form asks whether he is a US citizen, doesn't defeat the purpose to
submit documents identifying him as a US citizen?

I have to give this certificate at the fron desk at the eight floor, abd bot to the
DAO that examined us. That is why it will take 60 - 90 days to process.

As I stated before, I am fine about it, especially since I have an EAD card that
expires in JAnuary, but it would have been nice to finish everything off with this
morning's interview. Ciao....