British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   What to Expect in the Interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/what-expect-interview-860971/)

RcknRbn81 Jun 29th 2015 5:11 pm

What to Expect in the Interview

Hi, everyone. It's been a really long time since I've posted, but long story short, my hubby has finally been scheduled an interview date. We are going through the Immigrant Spouse Visa process, he's from the UK coming here to America.

His interview will obviously be at the Embassy in London, and neither of us really know what to expect. Can anyone who has been through that interview provide any insight? I can imagine they will go through his documents, and ask him questions about the information provided, but silly things like "What color is her toothbrush?" are going through my head.

I'm also kind of assuming that he should wear interview-type attire, not track pants and a t-shirt...am I right in that assumption? Or does it really matter?

Thanks in advance!

Pulaski Jun 29th 2015 5:44 pm

Re: What to Expect in the Interview

My "interview" was largely inconsequential, little more than polite conversation while reviewing my file and asking for clarification on a few minor points. There were certainly no "trick questions" (BTW how would the consular official know what colour your toothbrush is? .... Or do you know more about the activities of the NSA than I do? :unsure:), nor anything to get in the least bit stressed about. In truth for most people the decision has already been taken based on the papers submitted, the interview is just a formality to tie up any loose ends.

I wouldn't recommend your husband dress for a trip to the beach, but clean and tidy casual is fine. I would say either business casual or clean jeans and a shirt with a collar would be fine - really it's whatever he is comfortable with.

Guindalf Jun 29th 2015 5:56 pm

The answers to the questions are read in body language, not actual answers for the most part. The best advice is to be himself and reply truthfully.

It's OK to say "I don't know" if you really don't - much better than trying to make up an answer! These people are trained to spot lies and, while most wouldn't realize it, a lie sticks out a mile!

The interview is very casual for most and nothing to stress over.

Dewey Jul 1st 2015 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by RcknRbn81 (Post 11687956)
Can anyone who has been through that interview provide any insight?

Contributors to the VisaJourney website have posted some of the sorts of questions they were asked at the visa interview at the US embassy in their respective countries. My own experience ten years ago was similar to other posters experience, I brought along the required paperwork plus evidence of our relationship, photographs, letters, emails, to correspond with our relationship timeline. I had a pleasant conversation about when and how we met, how often I had visited the US since then. It should be low key, but the questions are asked both to establish your relationship is genuine, but also check you have stayed within the rules e.g. if you originally met in the US while you were visiting on a J1 visa that you returned to live in your home country for a few years, etc.

distantecho Jul 2nd 2015 7:49 pm

I went through this in 2010. My lawyer warned me that they would probably be rude to me and that I may need to bite my tongue. Nothing could have been further from the truth. As has already been said, be yourself and you'll be fine. I wore a suit but nobody else there seemed to be dressed up.

sir_eccles Jul 2nd 2015 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by distantecho (Post 11690419)
I went through this in 2010. My lawyer warned me that they would probably be rude to me and that I may need to bite my tongue. Nothing could have been further from the truth. As has already been said, be yourself and you'll be fine. I wore a suit but nobody else there seemed to be dressed up.

Shows what lawyers know.

Pulaski Jul 2nd 2015 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11690434)
Shows what lawyers know.

I think it shows how people treat lawyers! :lol:

username.exe Jul 4th 2015 3:17 am

I did the interview for an IR1 in London about eight months ago.

They asked me how long we'd been married, whether we have kids, what their names were and one other question on funds relating to the offer on our house, outstanding balance on the mortgage and anticipated liquid cash taking over with us.

I wore a suit (I did it in the morning before I went to work as usual), and a US flag pin (corny, but my wife insisted... incidentally the CO mentioned it, she liked it :lol:).
I don't think it really matters what he wears but if you want to be taken seriously in whatever situation best to dress in a professional manner.