Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the easiest way to do it?

Wikiposts

What is the easiest way to do it?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold
Default What is the easiest way to do it?

Hi again all

Just returned from another long trip to CA, saying goodbye to my to my daughter and her USC husband was tearful as always

We just want to re unite the family and live and work in the USA

My daughter hs her green card and is working but it will be a few more years before she gets her citizanship

I am an IT profesional with years of experiance and have a good chance of getting a transfer with my company so that should be me and the mrs sorted

My youngest daughter is 20 next week so i presume could come on my visa till she is 21 but then what?

My eldest daughter is 24 what would be her best option? she has many years experiance and has her NVQ's 2 and 3 in care

Any help appreciated

Steve
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the easiest way to do it?

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun

I am an IT profesional with years of experiance and have a good chance of getting a transfer with my company so that should be me and the mrs sorted

My youngest daughter is 20 next week so i presume could come on my visa till she is 21 but then what?
If you pursue an L-1 and are granted it before your youngest turns 21 then she can come with! She will be given an L-2 for a period of time. Afterwards, she could look into studying and getting a student visa. I am sure there are other possibilities that an Immigration Attorney could explain in more detail.

It does sound like you have a lot of questions and possibly several avenues to pursue. You might want to consider going for a consultation with an Immigration Attorney. They normally charge a flat fee and will talk you through all of your options. If your company is serious about the transfer, they might have an in-house Immigration Attorney or will be willing to pay for you to see one of your choice. Afterwards, they will instruct you (if you wish) how much it would cost if they were to assist along the way.

My eldest daughter is 24 what would be her best option? she has many years experiance and has her NVQ's 2 and 3 in care
J-2 might be an option for her (I believe NVQ is teaching, yea?) Again, I would suggest posing these questions to an Attorney, who will be able to discuss the requirements for any visa they feel might suit any of you.

Another definite option is to wait until her sister gains citizenship and then she can file an I-130 on her behalf. It would, unfortunately, take an extremely long time. Wait times these sorts of I-130s.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that i will contact a few consultants for advice

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:46 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that i will contact a few consultants for advice

Cheers
Steve
No!!!

Most "Immigration Consultants" are scams/con artists, or at best woefully ignorant of detailed immigration law.

Find a qualified LAWYER specializing in Immigration Law. I'm sure others here can recommend where to look. If you work with a UK lawyer, make sure they specialize in US immigration.

I've seen way too many people on these boards who have paid thousands and thousands of pounds to "immigration consultants" and received bad advice, no real service, and in the case of one particularly nasty piece of work, actual threats to keep paying more and more money in pursuit of an (often hopeless) dream of moving to America.

As others have said, you seem to have plenty of options, but some very complicated issues. Good luck!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
No!!!

Most "Immigration Consultants" are scams/con artists, or at best woefully ignorant of detailed immigration law.

Find a qualified LAWYER specializing in Immigration Law. I'm sure others here can recommend where to look. If you work with a UK lawyer, make sure they specialize in US immigration.
I agree. US Immigration Lawyers in the UK will charge approximately £300 + VAT for the initial consultation but they will spend as long as you need and will set you on your way to do the rest yourself (if you so desire). Consultants will charge less but can't be trusted!

On that subject, I would recommend Gudeon & McFadden
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by californian
I believe NVQ is teaching, yea?
No. The OP clearly states what the NVQ is in.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000
No!!!

I've seen way too many people on these boards who have paid thousands and thousands of pounds to "immigration consultants" and received bad advice, no real service, and in the case of one particularly nasty piece of work, actual threats to keep paying more and more money in pursuit of an (often hopeless) dream of moving to America.

As others have said, you seem to have plenty of options, but some very complicated issues. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up i will research whoever i choose carefully

Thanks again
Steve