Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Wikiposts

What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Hey Bob,

Not quite sure why you would consider an "English language" test "stupid" for people that are wanting to reside there permanently in the UK.
Really it seems to make sense to make sure that people are proficient in the language of the country that they intend to reside in, doesn't it? Afterall, that way they stand a greater chance of a gaining better employment (which reduces the need for handouts) and can generally enjoy the experience more.

Hasn't it always been the major gripe of the UK (and US) residents that the immigrants "can't even speak English"?

Sorry mate, but I'm not in agreeance with you on your idea that a test for people on their language skills is "stupid".
I was talking about coming from an English Speaking country being a bit stupid...perhaps if you read the post....
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:49 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I was talking about coming from an English Speaking country being a bit stupid...perhaps if you read the post....
Uhm, no need to get defensive or sarcastic with the members.
Actually I did read the whole post... you were responding to Meauxna with nothing being said by her there about English speaking countries, and you said -

QUOTE =Bob- "There is a stupid English language and social type of test which isn't a history civics like the US, though for English speaking countries it might be waived."

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but obviously you called it a "stupid test", and nowhere there did you suggest that the stupidity of the test only applied to English speaking people. If that was the case then you should have said you thought that to start with, but whatever, it still doesn't make the test stupid or redundant, no matter where the people being tested come from. Just because one comes from an English speaking country, does not necessarily mean that one speaks the English language.

Perhaps then rather than taking offence at what was a comment made in a decent, pleasant and conciliatory manner to you, you'd like to be a little more clear in your posts so they aren't "misinterpreted" and don't need defending with patronising remarks.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Uhm, no need to get defensive or sarcastic with the members.
Actually I did read the whole post... you were responding to Meauxna with nothing being said by her there about English speaking countries, and you said -

QUOTE =Bob- "There is a stupid English language and social type of test which isn't a history civics like the US, though for English speaking countries it might be waived."

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but obviously you called it a "stupid test", and nowhere there did you suggest that the stupidity of the test only applied to English speaking people. If that was the case then you should have said you thought that to start with, but whatever, it still doesn't make the test stupid or redundant, no matter where the people being tested come from. Just because one comes from an English speaking country, does not necessarily mean that one speaks the English language.

Perhaps then rather than taking offence at what was a comment made in a decent, pleasant and conciliatory manner to you, you'd like to be a little more clear in your posts so they aren't "misinterpreted" and don't need defending with patronising remarks.
Uh, do you do this to people face to face? Cause that would be sort of awkward to me.

(it's spelled 'avatar' btw).

I read Bob-as-a-second-language now so I did understand what he meant, FWIW. It's not that far off of regular English.
As with the US Naturalization test, yes, it does seem a little awkward to ask my English-as-a-first-language husband to read and write basic English phrases. Then again, considering the rate of illiteracy even in first-world nations, maybe not.

Have you checked out that UK natz test? It's quite.. unusual.
Anyway, this has yet again gone *completely off topic* for the thread.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:13 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Uh, do you do this to people face to face? Cause that would be sort of awkward to me.

(it's spelled 'avatar' btw).

I read Bob-as-a-second-language now so I did understand what he meant, FWIW. It's not that far off of regular English.
As with the US Naturalization test, yes, it does seem a little awkward to ask my English-as-a-first-language husband to read and write basic English phrases. Then again, considering the rate of illiteracy even in first-world nations, maybe not.

Have you checked out that UK natz test? It's quite.. unusual.
Anyway, this has yet again gone *completely off topic* for the thread.
Lol Do I do what face to face?

You and you're bilingual talents... show-off

Yeah I checked the "natz test" out, as you say, very unusual lol!

Ok, we're off topic, 'nuf said, and thanks for the reminder.