Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Wikiposts

What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:09 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does a Brit have to do to get married in the USA?

Originally Posted by Bob
You can use a notary, the notary just has to be resident of the state, same with using a judge etc.
Same as Florida then ..thats will be good .
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hairball is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
OK, I see. I was thinking if she's leaving the UK soon, it makes it appear her stay there is more temporary, and DCF would be looking for something more permanent...but I see your point, thanks.

Rene
Hi,

Yeah, there's no impetus for her to leave the UK any time soon other than the desire to have a change. We have a house and work in London so things are settled.

We are aiming to get residency of each other's countries to ensure that wherever we choose to live we can.

thanks again
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, All

Thanks again for your answers. I feel things are becoming a little clearer, but I'm still struggling with some questions.

So the route I could/would take is something like
  1. Get married in Maine
  2. Come back to the UK and file an I130 with the US embassy in the UK
  3. Wait on that approval
  4. This is where I start to struggle. What happens here and roughly how long would it take? I know that's a hard question.

Many thanks again
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hairball
  1. Get married in Maine
  2. Come back to the UK and file an I130 with the US embassy in the UK
  3. Wait on that approval
  4. This is where I start to struggle. What happens here and roughly how long would it take? I know that's a hard question.

Many thanks again
You got the process correct. After filing the I-130, it hopefully gets approved. Then the UKC is sent a packet of visa forms to fill out. You also need to get a police report from any country you've lived in for more than 6 months after the age of 16. When you have these forms and police report ready, you send in a checklist to the embassy, and they notify you of your interview date and instructions on getting your medical done. You attend the interview in London and hopefully receive approval of your Immigrant Visa, which is valid for 6 months.

DCF is *the* quickest method for getting an Immigrant Visa, and the whole process from filing I-130 to getting visa in hand is only about 4 to 6 months. The visa itself is good for 6 months after that. So you don't want to get the visa too early if you're not planning to move within the next 10 - 12 months.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 21st 2009 at 11:18 pm. Reason: corrections
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

You got the process correct. After filing the I-130, it hopefully gets approved. Then the UKC is sent a packet of visa forms to fill out. You also need to get a police report from any country you've lived in for more than 6 months after the age of 16. When you have these forms and police report ready, you send in a checklist to the embassy, and they notify you of your interview date and instructions on getting your medical done. You attend the interview in London and hopefully receive approval of your Immigrant Visa, which is valid for 6 months.

DCF is *the* quickest method for getting an Immigrant Visa, and the whole process from filing I-130 to getting visa in hand is only about 4 to 6 months. The visa itself is good for 6 months after that. So you don't want to get the visa too early if you're not planning to move within the next 10 - 12 months.

Rene
Hi, thanks for that.

I have lived in australia and new zealand for more than six months. That means i have to get a report from there? That's a pain. I wonder how I do it.

I think I have an unpaid speeding fine in NZ. That might come along and bite me.

Cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for that.

I have lived in australia and new zealand for more than six months. That means i have to get a report from there? That's a pain. I wonder how I do it.

I think I have an unpaid speeding fine in NZ. That might come along and bite me.

Cheers
Yes, if you lived in Australia and NZ for 6 months or more, over the age of 16, you will need police certificates from those countries.

Go to this site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/re...city_3272.html and use the pull-down menu to find Australia and NZ. Scroll down for each one to see how to go about getting police certificates from those countries.

I honestly don't know how the unpaid speeding fine from NZ will affect you...perhaps someone else will chime in on that one.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

kstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
I dont think you can use a Notary there as a non resident
and ensure you get an Apostille for the marriage cert...
Maine allows their Notary to do marriage licenses. My hubby and I went to the town office and she did it right there in less then 1 min (we asked for the short, short version, basically, do you? do you? good your married kiss her and sign here.) It cost $30 for the certificate and they give it to you right there at the town office. We got married before the wedding, so the wedding was really for show. The only thing you DO need is an address in Maine that shows your residency. So you might have to go through the church like Ray said but check in the town. We live in Oxford County and got married in Paris, and I know Mexico, China and Peru all have similar rules, but if your down south near Portland or LA (Lewiston Auburn) things might be different as there is a much larger immigrant population.

~Kate
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Yes, if you lived in Australia and NZ for 6 months or more, over the age of 16, you will need police certificates from those countries.

Go to this site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/re...city_3272.html and use the pull-down menu to find Australia and NZ. Scroll down for each one to see how to go about getting police certificates from those countries.

I honestly don't know how the unpaid speeding fine from NZ will affect you...perhaps someone else will chime in on that one.

Rene
I won't worry about it too much. I only registered the car there and lived for the most part in different places.

First i have to find a way to ask for one of these certificates.

Cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kstoss9
Maine allows their Notary to do marriage licenses. My hubby and I went to the town office and she did it right there in less then 1 min (we asked for the short, short version, basically, do you? do you? good your married kiss her and sign here.) It cost $30 for the certificate and they give it to you right there at the town office. We got married before the wedding, so the wedding was really for show. The only thing you DO need is an address in Maine that shows your residency. So you might have to go through the church like Ray said but check in the town. We live in Oxford County and got married in Paris, and I know Mexico, China and Peru all have similar rules, but if your down south near Portland or LA (Lewiston Auburn) things might be different as there is a much larger immigrant population.

~Kate
I do weddings in Florida as a notary ...licence is $93 here
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Rene
Hi, I am just looking at this page on Police reports (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...95.html#police)

and it says I need a police certificate if "the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months" so i would need a UK one for sure...

However, my time in OZ and NZ were less than 12 months and reading this statement "if the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months" makes me think I only need a UK one.

I was in Oz for 364 days, but it's still less than 12 months.

I hope i've got my head around it correctly, as the hassle of getting three police reports and submitting fingerprints is going to be considerable.

Cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:45 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

~Kate
Yeah I am pretty sure you can do that in Rumford too but we got a licence and then did the whole church thing. So we had to pay for the licence and then the marriage certificate a couple of days later. Then a few months later we had to get another copy of the cert. for immigration purposes.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:46 am

Hi, I am just looking at this page on Police reports (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...95.html#police)

and it says I need a police certificate if "the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months" so i would need a UK one for sure...

However, my time in OZ and NZ were less than 12 months and reading this statement "if the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months" makes me think I only need a UK one.

I was in Oz for 364 days, but it's still less than 12 months.

I hope i've got my head around it correctly, as the hassle of getting three police reports and submitting fingerprints is going to be considerable.

Cheers
According to USCIS, you will need a police report from your own country, and also any country you lived in for 6 months or more, after the age of 16. I'll see if I can find that link.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

~Kate
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We arent' residents in Maine, or the US. My girlfriend has family there, but we reside in London, England.

There must be a way to work it, we can't be the first.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:50 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We arent' residents in Maine, or the US. My girlfriend has family there, but we reside in London, England.

Does your girlfriend still have any ID with a Maine address on it? Drivers License, State ID, votor registration card?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:53 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I think Bob already posted this link but it will tell you everything you need to get married in Maine.

http://www.maine.gov/portal/family/marriage.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.